Nova (Marvel)(01 - Richard Rider)
Real Name: Richard Rider
Search for 'Nova (Marvel)(01 - Richard Rider)' on Amazon
Flight, enhanced strength, speed, and durability.
Nova derives his powers from an energy source called the Nova-Force, which all Nova Centurions wield. Richard Rider had the greatest potential for control as his knowledge of his power increased .
Nova wears a standard Xandarian StarCorps uniform, designed to accommodate his powers without being damaged by them. In addition, the uniform has a life support function that can sustain Rider under the most extreme environmental conditions. It can act as a space suit by locking off the mouth and eyes of the helmet. The helmet can also pick up radio transmissions, as well as act as a heads-up display for tracking energy signatures.
Chosen at random by the dying Xandarian Rhomann Dey to receive his Nova Corps powers, teenager Richard Rider found himself thrust into the role of superhero, a role he grasped with relish. He battled foes such as Dey's nemesis Zorr, the winged mutant criminal Condor, the amnesiac Powerhouse (actually a Xandarian sent to locate the missing Dey), and the mysterious Sphinx. The latter eventually kidnapped Nova and several others, using Dey's spaceship to transport them all to Xandar.
Learning that Xandar was threatened by the Skrull Empire, Nova and his fellows (bar the Sphinx, who had returned to Earth, and Dr. Sun, who teleported to an unknown location) pledged their aid; the Skrulls were eventually driven off with the help of the Galadorian spaceknight Rom. Homesick for Earth, Richard agreed to give up his powers, which were needed to help rebuild war-ravaged Xandar's defenses, and returned home a normal human once more.
Or so it seemed. Months later Richard was tracked down by Night Thrasher, who believed Richard's powers were merely dormant and wished to recruit Nova for his prospective hero team. To test the theory, Night Thrasher dropped Richard off a roof; luckily for both of them, Night Thrasher was correct, and the adrenaline rush reawoke Richard's abilities. Alongside several other teenage heroes he founded the New Warriors, and also resumed his solo career. He fought alongside the New Warriors for years, including encounters with Nova's old foe the Sphinx and a brief stint during which the Warriors worked with Cable and X-Force. He was eventually hunted down by Super-Nova, the Xandarian who held the rest of the Nova-Force inside his body and had been driven mad by it. The two of them, aided by the New Warriors and Galactus' Xandarian heralds Firelord and Air-Walker, ended up setting off protocols that led to Xandar's resurrection. The StarCorps was reinstated, and Rider was appointed Centurion Prime and assigned to guard earth's sector of space.
Returning to Earth, Rider was confronted with dual lives as Centurion Prime and a member of the New Warriors. He also encountered another Nova from an alternate timeline named Nova 0:0. Nova 0:0 attacked Rider to prepare him for defending his Earth from the force that had destroyed Nova 0:0's Earth, the Deathstorm. After stopping the Deathstorm and saving Earth, Rider was replaced as Centurion Prime for Earth's sector of space by Garthan Saal, the former Super-Nova, after failing to follow orders at a crucial time.
When Saal sacrificed himself to save earth from the Dire Wraith queen Volx, he passed his powers back to Rider. He continued to fight alongside the New Warriors until the team broke up, reformed, and broke up again. He agreed to come back as part of the New Warriors reality TV show, and travelled the U.S. with the team, fighting menaces that'd taken up residence in communities that didn't have resident heroes. The team fought several criminals who'd escaped the Raft during the massive prison break that led to the reestablishing of the Avengers, before being recalled to Xandar alongside the rest of the Nova Corps to deal with the threat of the Annihilation Wave. Rider was the only StarCorps member to survive the Wave's surprise attack, and has become the bearer of the entire Nova-Force, as well as the Xandarian Worldmind, the living computers that contain the entire record of Xandarian civilization as well as the minds of all its deceased members.
Nova then came into contact with Drax who taught him how to better control the Nova Force and how to kill. Realizing his new leadership abilities, Nova created the United Front, an army opposed to Annihilus. Several beings joined the United Front alongside Nova including Silver Surfer, Ronan, Gamora, Phyla-Vell, Moondragon, the Spaceknights, Blastaar, Stardust, Firelord, Red Shift, Super-Skrull, Star-Lord, and others. Alongside these beings Nova was able to squash Annihilus's forces and kill Annihilus.
After the war, Richard started to scan the galaxy, searching for beings who needed help. Continuing this for an undetermined amount of time he became fatigued and homesick. The Worldmind advised Richard to return to Earth to rest. Taking Worldmind's advice Richard returned to Earth to find the state of the world after the Civil War. While back home Richard was approached by Iron Man, who strongly urged Richard to register. Stark then sent Justice to try and convince him to register. Failing to see the point to any of the madness Richard left Earth and returned to his Nova duties.
Recently the Phalanx took control of Kree Space and infected many worlds. Finding himself trapped inside Kree Space, Nova crashed into an energy barrier and landed on a Kree outpost severly damaged. There the commander, Ko-Rel took him in and tried to oppose a horde of Phalanx and an infected Gamora. Richard being too weak to fight back, the Worldmind uploaded some of the Nova Force into Ko-Rel turing her into a Nova Corps member. Gamora then slipped past the Kree defenses and infected Richard with the techno-organic virus, turning him into a Phalanx Select. From there Gamora and Rider left the outpost and returned to Hala.
Seemingly accepting the transmode virus, Richard alongside Gamora then hunted down and infected Drax with the techno-organic virus. Returning to Hala, Richard was attacked by Ko-Rel who was led by the Worldmind. However, Ko-Rel was not powerful enough to defeat Richard and died at his hands. After returning from the battle, Richard was then taken inside his mind by Worldmind and showed Richard that he was indeed fighting the techno-organic virus. Now boosted with hope and the help of Ko-Rel's returned power, Richard managed to break free of the Phalanx control and escaped from Hala. Richard then created a wormhole and was followed by Drax and Gamora. Once going through the wormhole they were all transported into unknown space.
Nova soon found himself at the edge of the universe in a place called Knowhere. Unfortunately, even here there would be no peace for the last of the Nova Centurions as he was attacked by zombies under the control of an unknown evil called Abyss. However, after making an ally in a talking dog named Cosmo, Nova was able to defeat the villain and restore peace to Knowhere. Learning that Nova was transmode positive, Cosmo used the resources at his disposal to chart Nova a course for the birthplace of the Phalanx, Kvch, in hopes that Nova can find a way to cure himself of the virus that is slowly killing him.
First Appearance: Nova (1976) #1
Quasar (04 - Richard Rider)
Nova (Marvel)(01 - Richard Rider) is a favorite character of 62 users
View a chronological listing of this character's appearances
Age of Ultron (2013)
#10 All-New Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe A to Z (2006)
- 'Age of Ultron: Book Ten'
Amazing Spider-Girl (2006)
#1 Annihilation Classic (2008)
- 'Blood And Thunder'#2
- 'Nice Try, Drax'#3
- 'Desperate Measures'#4
HC Annihilation Prologue (2006)
- 'Annihilation Classic'TPB
- 'Annihilation Classic'
Annihilation: The Nova Corps Files (2006)
Annihilation: Conquest (2008)
Annihilation: Conquest Prologue (2007)
Annihilation: Nova (2006)
#1 Annihilation: Saga (2007)
- 'All For One'#2
- 'And One For All'#3
- 'Safety In Numbers'#4
- 'Ten Minutes And Counting'
Ant-Man's Big Christmas (2000)
#1 Avengers (1998)
- 'Ant-Man's Big Christmas'
#13 Avengers Arena (2013)
- 'Lords & Leaders'#25
- 'The Ninth Day'
#3 Avengers Next (2007)
- 'Earth Girls Aren't Easy'
#2 Avengers: The Initiative (2007)
- 'The Sound of Thunder!'#4
- 'Cry, My Beloved Homeworld'#5
- 'Farewell, My Planet!'
#4 Avengers/Thunderbolts (2004)
- 'The Brave...and the Bold'
#3 Black Panther (2005)
- 'The Avengers Vs. The Thunderbolts Three: Nerves'
Captain America Drug War (1994)
Captain America Goes to War Against Drugs (1990)
Chaos War: Dead Avengers (2011)
#1 Civil War: Front Line (2006)
- 'Day One - Dead Avengers'
Colección Extra SuperHéroes (2011)
#39 Contest of Champions II (1999)
- 'Aniquilación - Integral'
Cosmic Powers Unlimited (1995)
Damage Control (vol. 3) (1991)
#1 Danny Fingeroth's Write Now! (2002)
- 'The Sure Thing'#2
- 'Edifice Wrecks'#4
- 'Cleanliness is Next to Godliness'
#142 Dark Avengers (2012)
- 'The Concrete Jungle!'
#27 Destructor Nocturno (1994)
- 'The Future is Prologue'#29
- 'Past Shock'#50
Die Spinne Zweitauflage (1987)
#25 Doctor Strange, Sorcerer Supreme (1988)
- 'Von Angesicht zu Angesicht'
#33 Fantastic Four (1961)
- 'The Alexandria Quatrain'
Annual 12 Fantastic Four (1968)
- 'The End of the Inhumans... and the Fantastic Four'#206
- 'The Death of... the Fantastic Four!'#208
- 'The Power of the Sphinx'#209
- 'Trapped in the Sargasso of Space!'#212
- 'The Battle of the Titans!'#217
- 'War With the New Warriors'
#99/100 Fantastic Four (1998)
- 'Pieges dans les Sargasses de l`espace'
Fantastic Four Roast (1982)
#1 Fun and Games Magazine (1979)
- 'When Titans Chuckle!'
Generation X (1994)
#59 Guardians of the Galaxy (1990)
- 'Artie & Leech's Day Off!'
Guardians of the Galaxy (2008)
#1 Guardians of the Galaxy (2013)
- 'Somebody's Got To Do It'
Hämähäkkimies / Spider-Man (1980)
Hawkeye: Earth's Mightiest Marksman (1998)
Heroic Age: Heroes (2010)
I Am An Avenger (2010)
Incredible Hulks (2010)
Infinity Crusade (1993)
#1 Infinity Gauntlet (1991)
- 'The Damned'#4
- 'Mortal Sins'#5
- 'Holy War!'
#3 Infinity War (1992)
- 'Preparations for War'#4
- 'Cosmic Battle on the Edge of the Universe!'
#1 Iron Man (1968)
- 'Chthonic Maneuvers'#2
- 'Ethereal Revisionism'#3
- 'Nefarious Rhapsodies'#4
- 'Mortiferous Artifice'#5
- 'The Animus Engagement'
#302 Ka-Zar the Savage (1981)
- 'Oil and Gold'#303
- 'Kids These Days'#304
- 'The Sound of Thunder'
#34 Last Hero Standing (2005)
- 'Savage In A Strange Land'
Marc Spector: Moon Knight (1989)
#41 Marvel (1988)
- 'The Dark Doppelgangers Descend'
Marvel Age (1983)
Marvel Divas (2009)
#3 Marvel Holiday Special (1991)
- 'A Night to Remember'
Marvel Swimsuit Special (1992)
#3 Marvel Team-Up (2004)
- 'Come to the Moon and View Heavenly Bodies Guaranteed to Send You into Orbit!'
#2 Marvel Trois-Dans-Un X-MEN (1981)
- 'Golden Child, Part Two'#11
- 'Titannus War, Part One'#12
- 'Titannus War, Part Two'#13
- 'Titannus War, Part Three'
Marvel Two-In-One (1974)
Marvel Universe: The End (2003)
Marvel vs. Capcom: Official Complete Works (2012)
Maximum Security (2000)
#1 Mini Marvels: Secret Invasion (2009)
- 'Illegal Aliens'#3
- 'Whatever The Cost!'
New Thunderbolts (2005)
#6 New Warriors (1999)
- 'City Of Heroes?'#12
- 'Purple Reign, Part Three: Living Lies'
#0#1 New Warriors (2005)
- 'One Good Reason'#2
- 'Artificial Lives'#3
- 'Change of Heart'#8
- 'Rite of Passage'#9
- 'No Good Deed...'#10
- 'Judgement Day'
#1 Night Thrasher (1993)
- 'Animal House'#3
- 'How Many Super Heroes Does It Take...?'#4
- 'Nütown, Nücar, Nümember...'#5
- 'Nüponder, Michigan'#6
- 'The Valley of the Jerks'
#1 Night Thrasher: Four Control (1992)
- 'Family Ties'#10
- 'Shell Games'#11
- 'Slave to the Past'#16
- 'In For a Penny...'#20
- 'Beating and Beaten'
#1 Nova (1994)
- 'First Night of the Condor!'#3
- 'The Deadly Diamondhead is Ready to Strike!'#4
- 'Nova Against The Mighty Thor!'#5
- 'Evil Is The...Earth-Shaker!'#6
- 'And So...The Sphinx'#7
- 'War In Space!'#8
- 'When Megaman Comes Calling - - Don't Answer !'#9
- 'Fear In The Funhouse !'#10
- 'Four Against The Sphinx!'#11
- 'Nova No More!'#12
- 'Who Is The Man Called Photon?'#13
- 'Watch Out World, The Sandman is Back!'#14
- 'Massacre At Truman High!'#15
- 'The Fury Before The Storm'#16
- 'Death Is...The Yellow Claw!'#17
- 'Tidal Wave!'#18
- 'The Final Showdown!'#19
- 'Blackout Means Business, and His Business is Murder!'#20
- 'At Last...The Inner Circle!'#21
- 'The Shocking Secret of Nova!'#22
- 'The Coming Of The Comet!'#23
- 'From The Dregs Of Defeat!'#24
- 'Attack From Space!'#25
- 'Invasion Of The Body Changers!'
#1 Nova (1999)
- 'Heavy Mettle'#2
- 'Corrupting Influences'#4
- 'Countdown to Zero'#5
- 'Birds of Prey'#6
- 'All That Was and Never Will Be'#7
- 'Time And Time Again'#8
- 'Enter: Chaos'#9
- 'Enter: Chaos, Part Two'#10
- 'Fists of Diamond, Heart of Stone'#11
- 'Those Who Would Destroy Us'#12
- 'Novas in Collision!'#13
- 'Shadows Aflame'#14
- 'Shadows Asunder!'#15
- 'World Killer'#16
- 'Ground Zero!'#17
- 'Dishonorable Discharge'#18
#1 Nova (2007)
- 'Starting Over'#2
- 'Shattered Lives'#3
- 'Lo, There Shall Come--A Really Big Robot!'#4
- 'The Condor Strikes!'#5
- 'Lo, There Shall Come A Spider'#6
- 'The Dying Game'#7
- 'The End of Nova the Human Rocket'
Annual 01#1 Nova (2013)
- 'What's Next'#2
- 'Home Truths'#4
- 'Knowhere: Part 1'#9
- 'Knowhere: Part 2'#10
- 'Terminal: Part 1'#12
- 'Terminal: Part 2'#13
- 'On the Last Day'#14
- 'In The Final Hour'#15
- 'The Devourer'#16
- 'Green For Danger: A Secret Invasion Story'#17
- 'Brothers in Arms'#18
- 'Corps Values'#20
- 'Return of the New Warriors'#21
- 'Brave New World'#22
- 'The Rapture'#23
- 'End of the Story'#25
- 'Empire Of The Mind'#26
- 'Saving Private Robbie'#27
- 'Shock & Awe'#28
- 'War Crimes'#29
- 'Most Wanted'#32
- 'The Gathering'#33
- 'The Book of the Dead'#34#35#36
#10 Nova: The Origin of Richard Rider (2009)
- 'Chapter Ten: Land and Launch'#14
- 'Chapter XIV: Road to Knowhere'#25
- 'Chapter XXV: The Super-Saver Club Card'#28
- 'Chapter XXVIII:The Black Vortex Chapter 8'
Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe A to Z (2008)
#28 Realm of Kings (2010)
- 'Mating Dance'#38
- 'Whose War Is this Anyway?'#39
- 'To Be or Not To Be'#54
- 'Starblast Pt. 2: Search Party'#60
- 'The Long Good-Bye'
#1 ROM (1979)
- 'The Stars Are Wrong'
#24 Secret Avengers (2010)
- 'No Place Like Home!'
#1 Secret Defenders (1993)
- 'Secret Histories Part One'#2
- 'Secret Histories Part Two'#3
- 'Secret Histories Part 3 Of 4'#4
- 'Secret Histories Part 4 Of 4'
#5 She-Hulk (2005)
- 'The Big Picture, Part 1: More Than a Handful'
Silver Sable and the Wild Pack (1992)
#4 Silver Surfer (1987)
- 'My Dinner with Doom?'#5
- 'Double Jeopardy'
#52 Spectacular Spider-Man Adventures (1995)
- 'The Hero in Absence'#54
#7 Spider-Man (1990)
- 'The Question--!'#25
- 'The Savage Six!'#27
- 'End Game'#29
- 'Strange Allies!'#32
- 'The Steel Spider!'#42
- 'Mother's Day!'#58
- 'Daddy's Girl!'#59
- 'Proof of Life!'
#20 Spider-Man: Friends and Enemies (1995)
- 'Revenge of the Sinister Six: Part Three : Showdown'#23
- 'Revenge of the Sinister Six: Conclusion'
#1 Starblast (1994)
- 'Power Meetings'#3
- 'Stolen Lives'#4
- 'Fire of Freedom'
#1 Thanos (2003)
- 'Once In A Blue Moon'
Thanos Sourcebook (2010)
The Amazing Spider-Man (1963)
Annual 26 The Astonishing Spider-Man (2009)
- 'The Hero Killers, Part One: Fortune and Steel'#171
- 'Photon Is Another Name For...?'#337
- 'Rites and Wrongs'#351
- 'The Three Faces of Evil!'#352
- 'Death Walk!'#354
- 'Wilde at Heart!'#355
- 'Total Eclipse of the Moon... Knight'#356
- 'After Midnight!'#357
- 'A Bagel With Nova!'#358
- 'Out on a Limb'#383
- 'Judgment Night'#627
- 'Something Can Stop the Juggernaut?!?'
#48 The Avengers (1963)
- 'Battles Captain Universe!'
#332 The Complete Spider-Man (1990)
- 'The Many Faces of Doom'
The Defenders (1972)
#62 The Incredible Hulk (1968)
- 'Membership Madness!'#63
- 'Deadlier By the Dozen!'#64
#241 The Last Defenders (2008)
- 'Partners in Deception!'
#3 The Marvel Encyclopedia (2006)
- 'The Movement You Need'
HC The Marvel Masterpieces Collection (1993)
- 'The Marvel Encyclopedia'
The New Mutants (1983)
The New Warriors (1990)
Annual 01 The Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe (1983)
- 'Errant Knights'Annual 02
- 'Questions of Power The Hero Killers Part 4'Annual 03
- 'The Unbearable Darkness of Being'Annual 04
- 'For Good and All'Limited Edition Ashcan#1
- 'From the Ground Up!'#2
- 'Mirror Moves'#3
- 'I Am, Therefore I Think'#4
- 'Genetech Potential, Chapter 1: Broken Break-Ins/Chapter 2: Of Dreams and Nightmares'#5
- 'The Man Who Stole Tomorrow'#6
- 'The Inhuman Condition'#7
- 'Hard Choices, Part One: The Heart of the Hunter'#8
- 'Hard Choices, Part Two: Devils at the Doorstep'#9
- 'Hard Choices, Part Three: Following the Line along the Middle'#10
- 'Days of Present Past'#12
- 'A Betrayal of Hope'#13
- 'A World For the Winning'#14
- 'The Breeze of an Underwater Wind'#15
- 'The Sushi People'#16
- 'Ground War'#17
- 'Sore Winners'#18
- 'Everything You Always Wanted To Know About The Taylor Foundation But Were Afraid To Ask'#19
- 'Sympathy For the Devil'#20
- 'The Breaking Point'#21
- 'The Folding Circle'#22
- 'Nothing But the Truth, Part One: The Stolen Children'#23
- 'Nothing But the Truth, Part Two: Passed Lies'#24
- 'Nothing But the Truth, Part Three: The Cheating Corner'#25
- 'Nothing But the Truth, Part Four: Justifiable Homicide'#26
- 'The Next Step'#27
- 'Dark Side'#28
- 'Heavy Turbulence'#29
- 'World War One: This Land Must Change'#30
- 'World War Two: ...Or Land Must Burn'#31
- 'Crawling to the Shadows'#33
- 'Forces of Darkness, Forces of Light'#34
- 'Breaking the Back of Love'#35
- 'Hawks and Doves'#37
- 'Family Values'#38
- 'Family Values, Part 1'#39
- 'Family Values, Part 2: Family Honor, Poisoned Memories'#39 (ChicagoCon "Preview" Edition)
- 'Family Viewing'#40
- 'The Starlost, Part One: Power Tools'#41
- 'The Starlost, Part Two: Power Plays'#42
- 'The Starlost, Part Three: Power Full'#43
- 'And Justice For All?'#44
- 'Underwater Fire'#45
- 'Sleeping With the Enemy'#46#47
- 'Like Flies in Amber'#50
- 'Till Death Do Us Part'#51
- 'Another Think Coming'#53
- 'Basic Arithmetic'#54
- 'Might Makes Wrong'#55
- 'Unacceptable Losses'#56
- 'Payback's a Real Switch'#57
- 'Breaking Points!'#60
- 'The Only Constant'#61
- 'Maximum Clonage, Prologue: Everyone Hates a Clone'#62
- 'Slave Machine'#68
- 'Just Yesterday'#69
- 'Some Time To Kill'#71
- 'The Fire In Which We Burn'#73
- 'Damn the Torpedoes'#74
- 'Sweet Sorrow'
#2 The Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe Deluxe Edition (1985)
- 'B-C: From Baron Mordo To The Collective Man'#14
- 'Book of the Dead and Inactive 2 : Marvel Boy to Zuras'
#11 The Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe: Master Edition (1990)
- 'Richard Rider to Sidewinder'
The Spectacular Spider-Man (1976)
The Thanos Imperative (2010)
The Thanos Imperative: Devastation (2011)
The Thanos Imperative: Ignition (2010)
#271 Thunderbolts (1997)
- '... Like a Diamond in the Sky!'#411
- 'The Gentleman's Name is Juggernaut!'#412
- 'Introducing... The New Warriors!'
#1 Uncanny X-Men (1963)
- 'Justice... Like Lightning!'#8
- 'Songbird: Alone!'#10
- 'Heroes' Reward'#25
- 'Saving the World'#56
- 'Beyond Redemption!'#57
- 'Storm Clouds Gathering'
War of Kings Saga (2009)
Warlock and the Infinity Watch (1992)
#8 Web of Spider-Man (1985)
- 'Power Play'#19
- 'True Believers'
What If? (1977)
#15 What If? Annihilation (2008)
- 'What If... Someone Else Had Become Nova?'#36
- 'What If...The Fantastic Four Had Not Gained Their Powers?'
What If? X-Men - Rise And Fall of the Shi'ar Empire (2008)
#1 What If...? (1989)
- 'What If Vulcan Gained the Power of the Phoenix?'
#1 Wizard (1991)
- 'What If the Avengers Had Lost The Evolutionary War?'#47
- 'What If Magneto Took Over the United States?'
Wonder Man (1991)
Annual 06 X-Force (1991)
- 'Kings of Pain Part 4: King of Pain'
#33 X-Men and Spider-Man: Time's Arrow (1998)
- 'Child's Play, Third Move: Rules Were Made To Be Broken'
Champions of Xandar
New Warriors (Marvel)
Famous Quotes: - Add a Famous Quote
< Previous Character | Next Character >
Add this character to a run of issues in a title
Suggest an image for this character
View the contribution history for this character