Real Name: Arnold Etchison
Search for 'Abattoir (DC)' on Amazon
Serial killer Arnold Etchison grew up convinced that his family members were evil. He eventually murdered them in the belief that their deaths would protect the world from further perils. Etchison also believed that he absorbed the life force from each victim after his or her death. Taking the name Abattoir, he continued his murderous spree until Batman apprehended him. Etchison was declared criminally insane and sentenced to spend the rest of his life in Gotham City's Arkham Asylum. When the international criminal Bane freed the Arkham inmates while carrying out his plan to weaken the Dark Knight, Abattoir immediately returned to tracking down and killing members of his extended family. Etchison was eventually found by Jean-Paul Valley, who at the time was substituting for Batman after the latter was crippled in a fight with Bane. Their confrontation took place at a Gotham refinery where Valley, who lacked Bruce Wayne's unwavering moral scruples, allowed Abattoir to fall to his death. However, Valley later learned that Etchison had left an innocent victim, his cousin Graham Etchison, hidden away in an undisclosed torture chamber. With Etchison dead, the victim remained undiscovered and eventually died. Some time later Etchison's spirit returned to plague Bruce Wayne, who had healed and wore Batman's cape and cowl once again. Abattoir 's spirit attempted to cause his last surviving relative, an unnamed cousin, to miscarry, thereby providing him with a mortal vessel to possess in his plan to return to human form. Instead, Abattoir animated Valley's armored Batsuit and fought Batman until the Dark Knight convinced Etchison's spirit to abandon his vengeful mission and return to his proper place in the spirit realm.
His last name was changed to Etkar so he wouldn't be affiliated with Etchison family.
First Appearance: Detective Comics (1937) #625
Abattoir (DC) is a favorite character of 1 user
View a chronological listing of this character's appearances
Annual 22 Batman: Knightfall (1993)
- 'Bough Breaks'#505
- 'Knightquest: The Crusade: Blood Kin'#506
- 'Knightquest: The Crusade: Malevolent Maniaxe'#507
- 'Knightquest: The Crusade: Ballistic'#508
- 'Knightquest: The Crusade: Mortal Remains'
Batman: Shadow of the Bat (1992)
TPB vol. 03 Batman/Demon (1996)
- 'Batman: Shadow of the Bat Volume 3'#26
- 'Knightquest: The Crusade: Creatures of Clay, Part 1: Diary of a Lover'#27
- 'Knightquest: The Crusade: Creatures of Clay, Part 2: Child's Clay'#28
- 'Knightquest: The Crusade: Commissioner Gordon: The Long Dark Night'
Blackest Night: Batman (2009)
#1 Blackest Night: Black Lantern Corps (2010)
- 'Who Burns Who, Part One'#2
- 'Who Burns Who, Part Two'#3
- 'Who Burns Who, Conclusion'
HC vol. 01 Detective Comics (1937)
- 'Blackest Night: Black Lantern Corps Volume One'TPB vol. 01
- 'Blackest Night: Black Lantern Corps Volume One'
Legends of the Dark Knight [I] (2012)
#27 Legends of the Dark Knight [II] (2012)
- 'Off The Menu Part 1 of 3'#28
- 'Off The Menu Part 2 of 3'#29
- 'Off The Menu Part 3 of 3'
Showcase '94 (1994)
- 'Zero Hour - Black Condor - Azrael'
Black Lantern Corps
Famous Quotes: - Add a Famous Quote
< Previous Character | Next Character >
Add this character to a run of issues in a title
Suggest an image for this character
View the contribution history for this character