Real Name: Cletus Kasady
Search for 'Carnage (Marvel)' on Amazon
Carnage is a symbiote with the same attributes as Venom. The main difference is that because Cletus Kasady is insane, he's unpredictable.
Carnage has all the usual symbiote weaknesses, including sonics and fire.
Carnage was once a serial killer known as Cletus Kasady, and became Carnage after merging with the offspring of the alien symbiote called Venom during a prison breakout. The symbiote amplified his psychotic nature making him even less mentally stable than he had been previously, and therefore even more dangerous. An interesting note is that, unlike Venom, Carnage is a singular entity, referring to himself as "I" instead of "We", because the symbiote has actually merged into Kasady's bloodstream. Carnage is also the "father" of Toxin. A note on his childhood: Cletus' father killed his wife (Cletus' mother) because she tried to kill Cletus. Cletus then testified in court against him, saying that he killed her for no reason, causing him to die by electric chair as means of punishment.
It is also unclear on Cletus' relationship with his mother, as he seems to have feelings for her, causing him to dig up her grave at the end of his massacre through New York. He also revealed that he killed his grandmother when he was younger, pushing her down a flight of stairs. Since the alien symbiote adapts to the host's personality, the Carnage symbiote is affected by Kasady's insane mind and lust for destruction.
Kasady has been separated and re-attached to the symbiote multiple times. The Carnage symbiote has occasionally attached itself to other hosts, including the Silver Surfer, Ben Reilly (a clone of Spider-Man), and Doctor Octopus. Venom later decided to absorb the Carnage symbiote "for good", during which Kasady retained the Carnage persona by costuming himself in red paint and continuing his killing sprees (albeit as a powerless human). This was short lived, however, as Kasady coincidentally found an exact replica of the symbiote in the Negative Zone. As to whether or not the symbiote is a separate entity, "permanently" bonded, or his own blood mutated, has not been revealed. The symbiote once chose to leave Kasady and bond with Ben Reilly. Kasady, without the symbiote, rapidly aged and his body quickly deteriorated. In this state, Kasady was barely able to function, having a hard time operating a sink, let alone being a threat. The symbiote bonded with him again in time to save his life, regenerating his health. When the symbiote abandoned him yet again, this time to join with the Silver Surfer (transforming him into the Carnage Cosmic), Kasady was left dying from an accelerated form of stomach cancer (apparently a side-effect of the symbiosis, also suffered by Eddie Brock, the original Venom). However, when Venom ate the symbiote, he did not deteriorate, indicating that perhaps some fragments of the symbiote were left behind (enough to sustain him but not enough to form the costume). This may be backed up by the fact that Kasady seemed to retain at least some enhanced strength.
Later, Venom and Spider-Man had to team up to stop Carnage. During this time it was revealed that the symbiote had become a part of Kasady's blood and was irremovable from him.
Kasady only needed to be cut for the symbiote to flood out to become Carnage once again. Unlike Venom, Carnage had become less vulnerable to the high-pitched sounds which would normally stop Venom, however he was still vulnerable to intense heat. Recently, Carnage was one of many super-villains trying to escape from the Raft. The Sentry flew Carnage outside the Earth's atmosphere, where he then ripped him apart. Kasady was presumably killed and has not been seen since.
First appears as Cletus Kasady in Amazing Spider-Man #344, and as Carnage in #360.
First Appearance: The Amazing Spider-Man (1963) #344
Carnage (Marvel) is a favorite character of 50 users
View a chronological listing of this character's appearances
101 Ways to End the Clone Saga (1997)
#1 Beavis and Butt-Head (1994)
- '101 Ways to End the Clone Saga'
#3 Beavis und Butt-Head (1994)
- 'In: Break-Out At Burger World!'
1994-03 Carnage (2010)
- 'Ausbruch in Burger World'
Carnage, U.S.A. (2012)
#1 Carnage: It's a Wonderful Life (1996)
- 'Part One - This Land Is MY Land'#2
- 'Part Two: Red, White, And Die!'#2 (2nd Printing)
- 'Part Two: Red, White, And Die!'#3
- 'Part Three: Die Free Or Live!'#4
- 'Part Four: Oh Say Can You Scream!'#5
- 'Carnage U.S.A., Part Five: The Dawn's Early Fright!'
Carnage: Mind Bomb (1996)
Crossover Classics (1991)
Der sensationelle Spider-Man (1998)
#2 Die Spinne (1980)
- 'Tod und Carnage 1/2'
#203 Gemini/Euroforce: Europa (1996)
- 'Herz und Macht'#204
- 'Aus Tiefstem Herzen!'#213
- 'Grausamer Auftakt'#214
- 'Grausame Allianz!'#215
- 'Grausames Ende'#226
- 'Maximum Carnage - Der Entfesselte Carnage'#227
- 'Maximum Carnage - Dämonen auf dem Broadway'#228
- 'Maximum Carnage - Das Mass ist Voll'#229
- 'Maximum Carnage - Ein Sturm Braut sich Zusammen'#230
- 'Maximum Carnage - Der Wendepunkt'#231
- 'Maximum Carnage - Soldaten der Hoffnung'#232
- 'Maximum Carnage - Der Krieg des Herzens'#233
- 'Maximum Carnage - Gnadenlos'
Hämähäkkimies / Spider-Man (1980)
Hot Shots: Spider-Man (1996)
Humberto Ramos Toxic Waste Sketchbook (2007)
Marvel Age (1983)
Marvel Knights: Spider-Man (2013)
#3 Minimum Carnage: Alpha (2012)
- '99 Problems... Three of Five'#4
- '99 Problems... Four of Five'
Minimum Carnage: Omega (2013)
New Avengers (2005)
#2 Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe A to Z (2008)
- 'Breakout!, Part Two'
Peter Parker: Spider-Man (1999)
#10 Pro Action Magazine (vol. 2) (1994)
- 'Venom Triumphant!'#13
- 'Living in Oblivion!'
#3 Scarlet Spider (2012)
- 'Mysterious Doings!'
#10 Scholastic Spider-Man Encyclopedia (2006)
- 'Minimum Carnage Part 2: Inner Space'#11
- 'Minimum Carnage Part 4: Kill Carnage'#12
- 'The Man in the Presidential Suite'
TPB Spider-Girl: The End! (2010)
- 'Spider-Man Encyclopedia'
#1 Spider-Man (1990)
- 'The End of Spider-Girl!'
Super Special 1 Spider-Man (2007)
- 'Planet of the Symbiotes Part 2'#35
- 'Maximum Carnage, Part 4 of 14: Team Venom'#36
- 'Maximum Carnage, Part 8 of 14: Hate is in the Air'#37
- 'Maximum Carnage, Part 12 of 14: The Light!'#67
- 'Web of Carnage, Part 3 of 4: Who Am I?'
#1 Spider-Man (French edition) (1991)
- 'Chaos auf Ryker's Island'#2
- 'Das kleinere Übel'
Spider-Man and Batman (1995)
Spider-Man Unlimited (1993)
Spider-Man Unlimited (1999)
Spider-Man Unmasked (1996)
#1 Spider-Man: Jackal Files (1995)
- 'The Origin of the Amazing Spider-Man'
Spider-Man: The Clone Journal (1995)
Spider-Man: The Parker Years (1995)
Superheroes: The Heroic Visions of Boris Vallejo and Julie Bell (2000)
Superior Carnage (2013)
The Amazing Spider-Man (1963)
Annual 26 The Astonishing Spider-Man (2007)
- 'The Hero Killers, Part One: Fortune and Steel'Annual 28
- 'The Mortal Past'Super Special #1
- 'Planet of the Symbiotes Part 1'#344
- 'Hearts And Powers'#345
- 'Gun From The Heart!'#359
- 'Toy Death'#360
- 'Death Toy!'#361
- 'Savage Genesis!'#362
- 'Savage Alliance'#363
- 'Savage Grace'#378
- 'Maximum Carnage, Part 3 of 14: Demons on Broadway'#379
- 'Maximum Carnage, Part 7 of 14: The Gathering Storm'#380
- 'Maximum Carnage, Part 11 of 14: Soldiers of Hope'#384
- 'Dreams of Innocence'#394
- 'Power & Responsibility, Part 2: Breakdown!'#403
- 'The Trial of Peter Parker, Part 2 of 4: Judgement at Bedlam'#410
- 'Web of Carnage, Part 2 of 4: And Now -- Spider-Carnage'#430
- 'Savage Rebirth!'#431
- 'The Carnage Cosmic'#695
- 'Danger Zone Part One: Warning Signs'
The Astonishing Spider-Man (2009)
The Exploits of Spider-Man (1992)
The Marvel Encyclopedia (2006)
HC The Marvel Masterpieces Collection (1993)
- 'The Marvel Encyclopedia'
The New Avengers: Most Wanted Files (2006)
The Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe: Master Edition (1990)
The Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe: Spider-Man 2004 (2004)
The Sensational She-Hulk (1989)
#56 The Sensational Spider-Man (1996)
- 'The Edge of Plight'
#3 The Spectacular Spider-Man (1976)
- 'Web of Carnage, Part 1 of 4: Headlines'
Super Special 1 Venom (2011)
- 'Planet of the Symbiotes, Part 4'#201
- 'Maximum Carnage, Part 5 of 14: Over the Line!'#202
- 'Maximum Carnage, Part 9 of 14: The Turning Point'#203
- 'Maximum Carnage, Part 13 of 14: War of the Heart!'#217
- 'Power & Responsibility, Part 4: Higher Ground'#223
- 'Aftershocks Part II - Schemes & Dreams: For Future Screams'#233
- 'Web of Carnage, Part 4 of 4: Inner Demons'
#26 Venom Super Special (1995)
- 'Minimum Carnage Part 3: The Madman & the Microverse'#27
- 'Minimum Carnage Part 5: Family Bondage'
#1 Venom vs. Carnage (2004)
- 'Planet of the Symbiotes Part 3'
#1 Venom: Carnage Unleashed (1995)
- 'A Child is Born, Part 1: Baby Please Don't Go!'#2
- 'Cops and Monsters'#3
- 'The Monster Inside Me'#4
- 'Do the Right Thing'
#1 Venom: On Trial (1997)
- 'There Must Be Some Way Out of Here'#2
- 'Said the Joker to the Thief'#3
- 'There's Too Much Confusion!'#4
- 'Can't Get No Relief!!'
#2 Web of Spider-Man (1985)
- 'Disorder in the Court'#3
- 'Trial and Error'
Super Special 1 Webspinners: Tales of Spider-Man (1999)
- 'Planet of the Symbiotes Part 5'#101
- 'Maximum Carnage, Part 2 of 14: Darklight'#102
- 'Maximum Carnage, Part 6 of 14: Sinking Fast'#103
- 'Maximum Carnage, Part 10 of 14: Sin City'#105#117
- 'Power & Responsibility, Part 1: Shadow Rising'
#13 What If...? (1989)
- 'The Time Before, Part 1 of 2'#14
- 'The Time Before, Part 2 of 2'
#108 X-Men/Spider-Man (2009)
- 'The Greatest Sacrifice!'
Video Game Appearances:
Spider-Man & Venom: Maximum Carnage (1994)
Spider-Man & Venom: Separation Anxiety (1995)
Spider-Man: Friend or Foe (2007)
Frightful Four (Marvel)
Famous Quotes: - Add a Famous Quote
< Previous Character | Next Character >
Add this character to a run of issues in a title
Suggest an image for this character
View the contribution history for this character