Real Name: David Cannon
Search for 'Whirlwind (Marvel)' on Amazon
Super-speed, normally used to spin rapidly, so as to create a whirlwind (hence the name). However, he has demonstrated ground speed sufficient to outrace Quicksilver. While whirling, he is hard to grapple with or hold on to, and the air moving around him creates a cushion-like effect which protects him from conventional physical attacks.
After some time Whirlwind had updated his abilities by the use of wrist-mounted buzzsaws and throwing stars. When Whirlwind uses his power, the blades will attain a deadly velocity, making them more dangerous than when being used by normal humans.
From X-Men: The 198 Files, covering mutants who retained their powers after the Decimation of the mutant population:
"David Cannon began his criminal career under the alias the Human Top. Born a mutant, Cannon discovered at an early age that he could cause his body to move at great speeds. Cannon used his abilities early on in support of a life of crime and was later recruited into several incarnations of the Masters of Evil which has seen him opposed by the Avengers, primarily Hank Pym and the Wasp, numerous times. During this period, Cannon added a vicious new element to his costume in the form of ten-inch saw blades crafted by the Tinkerer. Other past associations have seen Cannon working for the likes of Count Nefaria and the Red Skull. Recently, Cannon's obsession with the Wasp of the Avengers led to his brutally murdering several prostitutes, indicating that his mental state may now be cause for concern."
The government classifies him as a mid-level, or 'Significant,' security threat in these files, the same ranking applied to characters like Colossus, Beast, and Lady Mastermind.
Recently, in Daughters of the Dragon #3, Whirlwind was caught in a deluge of paste from the gun of the criminal Trapster and tore himself apart in horrific fashion. However, in Thunderbolts #104 he was seen to have survived, having been forced to join Baron Zemo's team.
First Appearance: The Avengers (1963) #46
Human Top (03 - David Cannon)
Whirlwind (Marvel) is a favorite character of 4 users
View a chronological listing of this character's appearances
AAFES 10th Edition [New Avengers: X Exchange] (2010)
Alpha Flight (1983)
#102 Avengers (1998)
- 'El Equipo Primero!'
#4 Avengers Academy (2010)
- 'Too Many Avengers!'#44
- 'Down Among the Dead Men!'#71
Avengers Fairy Tales (2008)
Avengers Spotlight (1989)
#26 Avengers: X-Sanction (2012)
- 'Tales from the Vault'
#4 Captain America (1968)
- 'The Brave...and the Bold'
#130 Captain America (1998)
- 'Up Against the Wall!'#132
- 'The Fearful Secret of Bucky Barnes!'#324
- 'Speed Trap'#411
- 'The Arena'#412
- 'Disguise the Limit'#413
- 'Hostile Takeover!'
Code of Honor (1997)
#3 Dark Reign Files (2009)
- 'Book Three: The Streets'
Dark Reign: Zodiac (2009)
#1 Daughters of the Dragon (2006)
- 'For the Sake of Mischief'#2
- 'Ill-Gotten Gains'#3
- 'Death's Finest Addiction'
#1 Deadline (2002)
- 'On the Run'#2
- 'And Then There Were Two'#3
- 'Capes, Lies & Microchips'
Defenders/Avengers: X-Sanction Preview Book (2011)
Die Rächer (1979)
#39 Fantastic Four (1961)
- 'Kam Eine Spinne Des Weges...'
Fear Itself: The Home Front (2011)
Heroic Age: X-Men (2011)
I (heart) Marvel: Masked Intentions (2006)
Infinity: Heist (2013)
Invincible Iron Man (2008)
#513 Iron Man (1968)
- 'Demon Part 4: Control'#514
- 'Demon Part 5: Melt'#515
- 'Demon Part 6: Fall'#522
- '2: Rings'#524
- '4: Armor War'#525
- '5: Beating Down The Transhuman Condition'#526
- '6: Independence Day'
King-Size Hulk (2008)
Marvel Age (1983)
Marvel Comics Presents (1988)
#97 Marvel Feature (1971)
- 'Death's Servant / Where Everybody Knows Your Alias... / Blind Fury / Collision Course'
#6 Marvel Masters (2007)
- 'The Killer Is My Wife'#10
Marvel Triple Action (1972)
#38 Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe A To Z Update (2010)
- 'The Agony and the Anthill!'
Power Man and Iron Fist (1978)
#106 She-Hulk (2004)
- '...And An Ill Wind Shall Come!'
#5 She-Hulk (2005)
- 'The Big Picture, Part 1: More Than a Handful'#6
- 'The Big Picture, Part 2: Minor Complications'
#1 Spider-Man's Tangled Web (2001)
- 'Chaos auf Ryker's Island'#46
- 'Auf der Überholspur'
#13 Superior Spider-Man Team-Up (2013)
- 'Double Shots'#19
- 'Call of the Wild'
The Avengers (1963)
Annual 06 The Defenders (1972)
- 'No Final Victory!'Annual 19
- 'Terminus Factor, Stage 5: Beat Me in St. Louis'#46
- 'The Agony and the Anthill!'#47
- 'Magneto Walks the Earth!'#54
- '...And Deliver Us From-- The Masters Of Evil!'#55
- 'Mayhem Over Manhattan!'#83
- 'Come On In... the Revolution's Fine!'#139
- 'Prescription: Violence!'#164
- 'To Fall By Treachery!'#166
- 'Day of the Godslayer!'#222
- 'A Gathering of Evil!'#280
- 'Faithful Servant'
#63 The Incomplete Death's Head (1993)
- 'Deadlier By the Dozen!'#64
- 'Of Ambitions and Giant Amoebas'
#12 The Marvel Encyclopedia (2006)
- 'Framing Sequence: The End... Yes? / Party Animals / Priceless'
HC The Mighty World of Marvel (2003)
- 'The Marvel Encyclopedia'
#77 The Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe (1983)
- 'The Punisher Versus Ulik!'#80
- 'Captain America Versus. Baron Zemo!'
#12 The Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe Deluxe Edition (1985)
- 'V-Z: From Valkyrie to Zzzax'
#14 The Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe: Master Edition (1990)
- 'Unicorn to Wolverine'
The Sensational She-Hulk (1989)
#24 Thunderbolts (1997)
- 'Disorder In The Court'
#26 Thunderbolts: Reason in Madness (2008)
- 'Taking Civil Liberties'#107
- 'Power Full'
West Coast Avengers (1985)
#16 What If...? (1989)
- 'The Dive'#17
- 'Outta Time!'
#1 X-Men (2010)
- 'What If the Avengers Had Lost The Evolutionary War?'
#38 X-Men: The 198 Files (2006)
- 'The Boneyard, Part 1'
X-Men: To Serve And Protect (2011)
Video Game Appearances:
Captain America and the Avengers (1991)
Batroc's Brigade (Marvel)
Defenders of Evil
Masters of Evil (Marvel)
Famous Quotes: - Add a Famous Quote
< Previous Character | Next Character >
Add this character to a run of issues in a title
Suggest an image for this character
View the contribution history for this character