John D. Rockerduck
Search for 'John D. Rockerduck' on Amazon
Unlike Scrooge, John D. Rockerduck was born into money--to two parents with very different ideas about wealth. His father, Howard, thought that wealth was the blessing of hard work. His mother apparently felt it was the "expected" outcome of marrying well. In other words, he was a self-made man, and she was a self-made snob.
Unfortunately, young John picked up traits from both parents.
He is therefore an unmiserly billionaire duck, quite in contrast to Scrooge and Flintheart Glomgold. He likes to spend money to make money--and to spend money to show all the "peasants" just how wealthy he is.
Especially in the Italian branch of the comics, he and Scrooge have a surprisingly complex relationship. At each other's throats, they nevertheless appreciate each other's gifts and are, at this point, in it for the joy of competition. Indeed, Rockerduck is very carefully shown not to actually "hate" Scrooge to the point of wanting to actually kill him, but rather to be his strong business rival. Often Italian--and to some extent Brazillian--stories of the 1970s and 1980s had plots revolving around schemes to drive up viewership of the two ducks' rival television stations, product research for the industrial wing of their enterprises, and even an exploration of the difference in the production methods at the two ducks' plants. Rockerduck is very often shown using industrial espionage or sabotage to effect victory over Scrooge. When he needs to hire some muscle for these tasks, he generally turns to the Beagle Boys.
Though created by Carl Barks in 1961, he was only used twice in American "Duck" comics. Fortunately for him, both appearances were in fairly high-profile stories.
Elsewhere in the world, he's had an easier time of making a lasting impression. He is still a fixture of the Brazillian and European lines. The Italian branch make particularly frequent use of him, and have inarguably developed the character the most. Die Ducks in Deutschland (2013)
First Appearance: None listed.
View a chronological listing of this character's appearances
Die tollsten Geschichten mit Donald Duck Sonderheft (1965)
Die tollsten Geschichten von Donald Duck Spezial (2003)
Disney's Hero Squad (2010)
Don Rosa Collection (2011)
Donald Comics und Mehr (1999)
Donald Duck (1975)
Donald Duck (2015)
#1 Heimliche Helden (2005)
- 'Rightful Owners Part 1 Many Happy Returns'#1 (2nd Printing)
- 'Rightful Owners Part 1 Many Happy Returns'#1 (Cover B)
- 'Rightful Owners Part 1 Many Happy Returns'#1 (Cover C)
- 'Rightful Owners Part 1 Many Happy Returns'#3
- 'Rightful Owners Part 3 Heavy Hangs The Head'#4
- 'Rightful Owners Part 4: No Refunds, No Returns'
#9 Lustiges Taschenbuch (1967)
- 'Donalds 313'#10
- 'Klaas Klever'
#19 Lustiges Taschenbuch Premium (2011)
- 'Pech für die Panzerknacker'#26
- 'Onkel Dagobert schafft's allein'#303#419
- 'Phantomias kehrt zurück'
Lustiges Taschenbuch Sonderband (1994)
#1 Lustiges Taschenbuch Sonderband (2009)
- 'Weihnachten in Entenhausen'
Lustiges Taschenbuch Sonderband (2011)
Lustiges Taschenbuch Spezial (1997)
#38 Micky Maus (1951)
- 'Im Land der roten Sonne'
Micky Maus Spezial! (2012)
#2 The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck (1996)
- 'Das Sonderheft zu Dagobert Ducks Geburtstag'
Uncle Scrooge (1980)
Uncle Scrooge (2009)
#388 Uncle Scrooge (2015)
- 'Around the World in 80 Bucks, Part 1'#389
- 'Around the World in 80 Bucks, Part 2'#389 (Cover B)
- 'Around the World in 80 Bucks, Part 2'#390
- 'Around the World in 80 Bucks, Part 3'#390 (Cover B)
- 'Around the World in 80 Bucks, Part 3'#391
- 'Around the World in 80 Bucks, Part 4'#391 (Cover B)
- 'Around the World in 80 Bucks, Part 4'
Walt Disney Uncle Scrooge and Donald Duck: The Don Rosa Library (2014)
Walt Disney's Comics and Stories (1940)
Walt Disney's Donald Duck Adventures (2003)
Walt Disney's Uncle Scrooge (1993)
Sinister Seven (Disney)
Famous Quotes: - Add a Famous Quote
< Previous Character | Next Character >
Add this character to a run of issues in a title
Suggest an image for this character
View the contribution history for this character