Werewolf by Night (Marvel)
Real Name: Jacob (Russolf) Russell
Search for 'Werewolf by Night (Marvel)' on Amazon
As a werewolf, Jack Russell possesses super-human strength, agility, reflexes, stamina, and senses, all derived from his partly wolf like supernatural form. He can spring from a crouch about 18 feet straight into the air. His reflexes are about twice as fast as human. He can run at a peak speed of 35 miles per hour for up to a half hour before tiring. Russell can also use his strength at peak levels for about a half hour before his ability level becomes impaired. His senses of sight, smell, and hearing are as acute as a wolf's. He can see into the infrared portion of the spectrum, allowing him to see the heat emissions of objects or people in total darkness. He can smell the approach of other organisms within 100 feet of himself and trail the spoor of his quarry across almost any terrain. His hearing is sensitive enough to detect the sound of a heartbeat in a cave at a distance of 30 feet.
The Werewolf's claws and teeth are particularly sharp and tough, enabling him to rend through a variety of substances, such as fabric, wood, even soft metals and cinderblock.
Except during the three nights of the full moon, Russell retains his full human intellect as a werewolf. He is also capable of speech during the same period, although speaking is difficult, painful and often hard to understand. Russell effects his transformation into a werewolf through a conscious act of will, usually by meditating upon the mental image of the full moon. Due to Malus’s treatments, the Werewolf has a more wolf like form during nights of the full moon, with a longer snout and ears, a curved spine, and lupine jointed legs. Russell retains his original werewolf form when he transforms at other times.
As a supernatural creature, the Werewolf is immune to conventional injury: penetration wounds, exposure, burning, drowning and suffocation, electrocution, etc. Such phenomena as these can cause him physical injury depending on its severity. However, his recovery rate is over then times that of a human being. When Russell transforms back to his human form he loses the mystical immunity and recuperative power.
The metal silver is necessary to weaken or kill a werewolf, due to its mystical properties of “purity,” which are anathema to many supernatural creatures such as werewolves and vampires. If a werewolf is shot or stabbed and mortally wounded by a sliver bullet or blade, he or she will die within minutes.
Jack Russell was the elder of two children sired by Gregory Russoff, a Transylvanian baron and scholar, who was turned into a werewolf when Jack was still a small child. Russoff's ancestor Grigori first brought the supernatural curse of lycanthropy upon the family when in 1795 he tried to rescue his wife Louisa from the clutches of the vampire-king Vlad Dracula and was bitten by a female werewolf. Because his children were born before he was so afflicted, Grigori Russoff's offspring and the succeeding generations were spared the agony of turning into werewolves themselves. The curse, however, was mystically transmitted to Russoff's descendants, awaiting a super-natural catalyst to trigger it. IN the mid-1950's such a catalyst was found when Baron Gregory Russoff, the great grandson of the first Russoff to become afflicted, acquired a copy of the Darkhold, the tome of evil mystical knowledge originally scribed by the ancient demon Chthon. Among the many secrets of occult lore contained in the fragment Russoff acquired the origin of lycanthropy. The act of reading the passage on werewolves supernaturally triggered the dormant curse in Russoff’s ancestry, and transformed him into a werewolf. For several months, Russoff transformed on the three nights of the full moon and rampaged through the countryside, even taking lives a number of times. Russoff sent this wife Laura to her native America with the children to safeguard them. Russoff was eventually stalked and killed by a mob of townspeople.
When Laura Russoff learned of her husband’s death, she remarried to give her children a father. The man she married coincidentally was named Russell, the Americanized version of her first husband’s name. Jack Russell and his sister Lissa were raised in Los Angeles. When Jack reached the age of 18, he became afflicted with his father’s curse, and began to turn into a werewolf on the three nights of the full moon. For about two years, Russell ran rampant through the Los Angeles environs with the mind of a savage beast on the nights of the full moon when he did not take strong enough precautions to prevent himself from escaping confinement. Miraculously, in that time he never took a human life, although a number of the person he encountered have been permanently scarred or crippled. As a werewolf, Russell encountered such bizarre person as the Moon Knight, the Hangman, Sarnak, Dr. Glitternight, the Hunchback, Tigra, and Deprayve.
Finally, the mystical extra dimensional beings known only as “The Three Who are All” granted Russell the ability to transform himself at will into the werewolf regardless of the time of month, while retaining his human intellect. With this ability, Russell embarked upon a career as an occasional crime fighter, once encountering Iron Man in New York. He sill had one major limitation, however; on the nights on the full moon, his human mind still regresses to that of a savage beast. To avoid tarnishing his already shaky reputation, Russell designed a virtually escape-proof cell for himself for the three nights of the full moon.
Some time later, Russell contacted Dr. Karl Maius, a Los Angeles-based medical researcher, in hope that the eccentric scientist might find a way for him to retain control over himself on the nights of the full moon. Unknown to Russell, Maius was criminally inclined, and instead of helping him, hooked Russell to an experimental machine to subvert his will. With the aid of the original Spider-Woman, Russell escaped Maius’s clutches and put the scientist behind bars. A month later, Russell found that Maius’s treatments had hidden side effects. Months afterwards, Russell again lost control over his transformations and even began metamorphosizing into ma more wolf=like state, with longer ears and snout, a curved spine, and lupine jointed legs. Shortly after that, a devil worshipping cult led by a man named Schuyler Belial became interested in capturing Jack Russell to use him in a ceremony to bring the world under “Satan’s” rule. The cult hoped to kill Russell in a ritual sacrifice, and then inject his blood into their own veins in an attempt to become werewolves themselves. Jack Russell spent almost a year fleeing from the cult, traveling about the country. At one point, the cultists captured him and placed a thin homing transmitter on his scalp to enable them to keep tabs on him. Russell eventually sough the help of the Moon Knight, and the two of them managed to defeat the cult, despite the fact that it was the time of the full moon and Russell had little control over his bestial self. Most of the cultists were killed in the melee.
Returning to his home in Los Angeles, Russell settled back into what passed for his normal life, taking care to lock himself up on the nights of the full moon. To his dismay, his moon-influenced wolf-form was increasing in strength with each passing month. Desperate, he contacted Dr. Michael Moribius, a blood specialist, for help in curbing his bestial self. Breaking free of his holding room one moonlit evening, Russell was subdued by the West Coast Avengers.
A few weeks later, in greater control of himself, he encountered Iron Man again while rescuing Russell’s sister Lissa from the clutches of the ghostly sorceress Morgan Le Fey. Recently, the Werewolf was invited to join the shroud’s new gang, the Night shift. Jack Russell remains a reluctant adventurer searching for the ultimate solution to the ongoing problems of being a werewolf.
First Appearance: Marvel Spotlight (1971) #2
Werewolf by Night (Marvel) is a favorite character of 17 users
View a chronological listing of this character's appearances
100% Max - Tomos Unicos (2005)
#16 Amazing Fantasy (2004)
- 'Hombre Lobo: La Noche mas Oscura'
Astonishing Tales: Boom Boom and Elsa (2009)
Captain America (1968)
Code of Honor (1997)
Comic Welten (1992)
Dan Brereton: The Goddess & The Monster (2010)
HC Daredevil (2011)
- 'Dan Brereton: The Goddess & The Monster'
#1 Deadpool & the Mercs For Money [I] (2016)
- 'Sumus Omnes Deadpool'#14#17#18#28
- ''Til Death Do Us... Part 1'#29
- ''Til Death Do Us... Part 6'
Deadpool Team-Up (2010)
Deadpool: Dracula's Gauntlet (2014)
Deadpool: Last Days of Magic (2016)
Deadpool: The Gauntlet (Infinite Comics) (2014)
#7 Doctor Strange: Sorcerer Supreme (1988)
- 'Chapter VII: Ready? A.I.M. Fire!'#8
- 'Chapter VIII: Werewolf of London-Adjacent'#12
- 'Chapter 12: Deadpool, Disarmed'#13
- 'Chapter 13: Give Love a Hand'
#9 Dracula Lives (1974)
- 'That Was Then... This is Now'#16
- 'Love and Haiti'#26
- 'Werewolf At The Door'#27
- 'Possession is 9/10 of the Logarithm'
Fantastic Four Roast (1982)
#1 Fearless Defenders (2013)
- 'When Titans Chuckle!'
Ghost Rider (1973)
Ghost Rider (1990)
Ghost Rider/Blaze: Spirits of Vengeance (1992)
#13 Giant-Size Creatures (1974)
- 'Midnight Massacre, Part 5: Dead Man's Tales'
#1 Giant-Size Werewolf (1974)
- 'Tigra the Were-Woman! / She stalks in beauty like the night / A warrior reborn! / Some say the world will die...!'
#2 Halloween Special Issue (2008)
- 'The Frankenstein Monster Meets Werewolf by Night'#3
- 'Castle Curse!'#4
- 'A Meeting of Blood'#5
- 'The Plunder of Paingloss'
Hämähäkkimies / Spider-Man (1980)
#51 Hulk Monster-Size Special (2008)
- 'Haunted Hulk, Part 2'#52
- 'Haunted Hulk, Part 3: I Am Legion'
Iron Man (1968)
Ka-Zar the Savage (1981)
#34 Legion of Monsters (2011)
- 'Savage In A Strange Land'
Legion of Monsters: Werewolf By Night (2007)
Marc Spector: Moon Knight (1989)
#50 Marvel 1985 (2008)
- 'Blood Rites'#52
- 'Knight's Gambit'#53
- 'Werewolf by Knight'
Marvel Comics Presents (1988)
#54 Marvel Digital Holiday Special (2008)
- 'Long and Winding Road/The Moon is a Harsh Mistress/Confrontation/The Dark Light of Kali'#55
- 'With Friends Like These/The Gathering Storm/Pursuit/The Songs of Mary Tao-Yu'#56
- 'On the Road/Children of the Beast/Family Matters/Any Number Can Play'#57
- 'Death Don't Have No Mercy/Leader of the Pack/Strange Visitors/The Crown Jewel Caper'#58
- 'You Can Run...But You Can't Hide/Communion/The Old Man In The Sea/Neutralizing Effects'#59
- 'No Where to Run, No Where to Hide/Reborn to be Wild/Sending Them Home/The Real Thing'#87
- 'Three Scents/Sacrifice/If This Is Tuesday, It Must Be Belgium/To Touch The Darkness'#98
- 'Final Frontier/Wild At Heart/D'Spryte Times, D'Spryte Measures/Worthy of the Name!'#107
- 'Bad Moon Rising/Fuel for the Fire/Whatever we do, We'll Muddle Through Together/Behold, Nauda'#108
- 'Claw and Bone/Into the Abyss/Together Forever... A Pair/Nauda's Tale'#109
- 'Battle on the Brooklyn Bridge/Legion of the Doomed/It's Never Over/The Final Conflict'#110
- 'Undercover at the Black Moon Bar & Grill/Death's Dark Domain/A Killer's Rights/Night of the Ripper'#111
- 'Roadkill/Betrayal/Over Exposed/Menace of the Mad Abbot'#112
- 'Push My Buttons/Demogoblin's Lament/Showdown/Picnic'#113
- 'Mindfield/The Third Life of Bill Foster/The Night has a Thousand Eyes/Mercy Mission'#143#144
Marvel Heartbreakers (2010)
Marvel Holiday Spectacular Magazine (2009)
Marvel Premiere (1972)
#28 Marvel Preview (1975)
- 'There's a Mountain On Sunset Boulevard!'#59
- 'City of the Cursed'
#12 Marvel Spotlight (1971)
- 'The Haunt of Horror'
#2 Marvel Super Hero Contest of Champions (1982)
- 'Werewolf By Night'#3
- 'The Thing in the Cellar!'#4
- 'Island of the Damned!'
#1 Marvel Team-Up (1972)
- 'A Gathering of Heroes! Chapter 1'
#12 Marvel Zombies 3 (2008)
- 'Wolf at Bay'#93
- 'Rags to Riches!'
Marvel Zombies 4 (2009)
#1 Marvel, los héroes mas poderosos (2016)
- 'Midnight Sons: Part 1'#2
- 'Midnight Sons: Part 2'#3
- 'Midnight Sons: Part 3'#4
- 'Midnight Sons: Part 4'
Marvels Companion (2014)
TPB MAX (2004)
- 'Marvels Companion'
#29 Midnight Sons Unlimited (1993)
- 'Legion of Monsters'
#5 Monsters Unleashed (1973)
- 'The Beguiling / Kindred Spirits, Lost Souls'#7
- 'When the Spirit Moves / Blood Brothers / Moon-Jack'
Moon Knight (1980)
#4 Moon Knight (1998)
- 'A Committee of 5'#29
- 'Morning Star'#30
- 'The Moonwraith, Three Sixes and a Beast'
Moon Knight (2006)
#3 Moon Knight Special Edition (1983)
- 'The Bottom, Chapter 3: To The Bone'#4
- 'The Bottom, Chapter 4: Interest in a Mirror'#20
- 'In The Company Of Wolves'
#1 Morbius: The Living Vampire (1992)
- 'The Big Blackmail/Countdown To Dark'
#12 Morbius: The Living Vampire (2013)
- 'Midnight Massacre, Part 4: The Bait'#13
- 'Better Off Dead'#14
- 'The Calling'#27
- 'Jagged Edge, Part 3'#28
- 'Jagged Edge, Part 4: The Dawning'#29
- 'Ashes to Ashes'#30
- 'New Blood'
#8 Mrs. Deadpool and the Howling Commandos (2015)
- 'The World Breaks Everyone, Part 1 of 2'
New Avengers (2005)
Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe A to Z (2008)
HC vol. 13 Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe A To Z Update (2010)
- 'Valkyrior Steeds to Maximillian Zaran'
Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe: Horror 2005 (2005)
#11 Sam Kieth: Samplings and Dabblings, A Cartoon Art Museum Exhibition (2013)
- 'FrankenCastle: Chapter 1'#12
- 'FrankenCastle: Chapter 2'#13
- 'FrankenCastle: Chapter 3'#14
- 'FrankenCastle: Chapter 4'
Shadows & Light (1998)
Solo Avengers (1987)
Sorceress: The Enchanting Art of Dan Brereton (2013)
HC Spider-Island (2015)
- 'Sorceress: The Enchanting Art of Dan Brereton'
#15 Spider-Woman (1978)
- ''Til Death Do Us... Part 2'
#6 Spider-Woman (2016)
- 'End of a Nightmare!!'#19
- 'The Beast Within'#32
- 'The Fangs of Werewolf By Night'#48
- 'Original Sin!'#49
Strange Tales (1998)
The Amazing Spider-Man (1963)
Annual 15 The Avengers (1963)
- 'Spider-Man: Threat or Menace?'#622
- 'It Is The Life/Stages of Grief'
#240 The Incredible Hulk (1968)
- 'The Ghost of Jessica Drew!'
The Marvel Encyclopedia (2006)
HC The Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe (1983)
- 'The Marvel Encyclopedia'
#12 The Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe Deluxe Edition (1985)
- 'V-Z: From Valkyrie to Zzzax'
#14 The Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe: Master Edition (1990)
- 'Unicorn to Wolverine'
The Supernaturals (1998)
#1 Tomb of Dracula (1972)
- 'The Most Supernatural Superheroes of Them All!'#2
- 'Only The Supernaturals Stand Between Us And Oblivion'#3
- 'Can The Supernaturals Overcome Dracula and Frankenstein's Monster?'#4
- 'It's The Supernaturals vs. Giant Monsters of another era!'
#17 Tomb of Terror (2010)
- 'Death Rides the Rails!'#18
- 'Enter: Werewolf By Night'
Werewolf by Night (1972)
#1 Werewolf by Night (1998)
- 'Eye of the Beholder'#2
- 'The Hunter and the Hunted'#3
- 'The Mystery of the Mad Monk'#4
- 'The Danger Game'#5
- 'A Life for a Death'#6
- 'Carnival of Fear'#7
- 'Ritual of Blood'#8
- 'The Lurker Behind The Door'#9
- 'Terror Beneath the Earth'#10
- 'The Sinister Secret of Sarnak'#11
- 'Comes the Hangman'#12
- 'Cry Werewolf'#13
- 'His Name is Taboo'#14
- 'Lo, The Monster Strikes'#15
- 'Death of a Monster!'#16
- 'Death in the Cathedral'#17
- 'The Behemoth'#18
- 'Murder by Moonlight'#19
- 'Vampires on the Moon'#20
- 'Eye of the Wolf'#21
- 'One Wolf's Cure... Another's Poison'#22
- 'Face of the Fiend'#23
- 'The Murderer is a Maniac'#24
- 'The Dark Side of Evil'#25
- 'An Eclipse Of Evil'#26
- 'A Crusade of Murder'#27
- 'The Amazing Doctor Glitternight'#28
- 'The Darkness From Glitternight'#29
- 'A Sister of Hell'#30
- 'Red Slash Across Midnight'#31
- 'Death In White'#32
- 'The Stalker Called Moon Knight'#33
- 'Wolf-Beast vs. Moon Knight'#34
- 'Not all the Shades of Death, Nor Evil's Majesty'#35
- 'Evil in Every Stone, No Longer Hiding'#36
- 'Marcosa in Death'#37
- 'The End'#38
- 'Rebirth Also Kills'#39
- 'Someare Born to the Night'#40
- 'Souls in Darkness'#41
- 'And Death Shall Be the Change'#42
- 'The Marauder and the Man of Iron'#43
- 'Terrible Threat of the Tri-Animan!'
#1 West Coast Avengers (1985)
- 'Somewhere South Of Heaven'#2
- 'Life In The Fast Lane'#3
- 'Welcome To The Funhouse'#4
- 'The End Of The Line'#5
- 'New Face Revealed'#6
- 'Love Is Colder Than Death Part 1'
#5 Witches (2004)
- 'Ins and Outs!'#40
- 'And Now the... Night Shift!'
Wolverine & The X-Men (2011)
#19 Wolverine: First Class (2008)
- 'More Pencils, More Books, More Teachers' Dirty Looks'
#10 X-Factor (1986)
- 'The Pack: Part 1'#11
- 'The Pack: Part 2'
- 'Breaking Points: Five Days that Will Change X-Factor Forever Day Two'
Howling Commandos (Marvel)(05-Monster Metropolis)
Legion of Monsters
Midnight Sons (Marvel)(02 - Marvel Zombies)
Famous Quotes: - Add a Famous Quote
< Previous Character | Next Character >
Add this character to a run of issues in a title
Suggest an image for this character
View the contribution history for this character