Gertrude Yorkes (Marvel)
Search for 'Gertrude Yorkes (Marvel)' on Amazon
Telepathic link to a genetically engineered deinonychus. This empathic bond with Old Lace enabled Gertrude to command Old Lace as she pleased, however, she also shared any injuries that Old Lace suffered and vice versa.
Gertrude Yorkes was an incredibly smart and clever individual, and was very frank and sarcastic when addressing others. Gert had socialist leanings, and wanted to be a senator before her experiences as a Runaway soured her to adults in positions of power. Gert was the only Runaway not shocked by the revelation that her parents were members of the secret super-villain organization known as the The Pride; she was convinced her parents were secretly evil at a young age, for she believed they were responsible for the disappearance of her first pet, a potbelly pig named Orwell.
Soon after joining the Runaways, she inherited a genetically engineered dinosaur (whom she dubs Old Lace) from her time-traveling, warlord parents. Gert saw Old Lace as more than a pet, which is likely a result of their psychic bond; when one was injured, the other felt pain.
Her chosen codename Arsenic was a reference to the classic play and film, Arsenic and Old Lace. Gert was the Runaway who first suggested taking codenames and she stuck to hers longer than the others. Gert at first rejected her given name, wishing to shed her parents' influence completely, but finally conceded that "some things" they gave her are worth keeping.
Gert considered herself to be agnostic, though she was ethnically Jewish. She was presented as knowing a little Hebrew, presumably as a result of a Jewish education.
She dated Chase Stein; the two had their first kiss after Gert performed CPR on him, saving his life after a near drowning. Chase declared her to be "the hottest chick [he's] ever seen." Despite their differences, the two were very much in love. In fact, her relationship with Chase softened her somewhat; while she didn't loser her sarcastic edge, she often acted as the team's voice of reason, and Molly Hayes often looked to her as a big sister.
In one alternate future timeline Gert became the leader of the Avengers under the codename Heroine. She used her parents' time machine to warn the Runaways of Victor Mancha, who will one day become the deadly super-villain Victorious. Heroine then died in Chase's arms from internal injuries.
During the Runaways' attempt to bring Victor to the Hostel, he explained to Gert that Old Lace is not a Velociraptor but actually a Deinonychus. Despite the fact that he will kill her in one possible future, Gert didn't show any hostility towards the young, innocent Victor, mainly because she believed that the future is not set and Victor has the power to shape his own destiny. Victor has shown himself to be Gert's intellectual equal, which bothers Chase; despite Gert's assurances that she loved only him, Chase feared there may be an attraction brewing between Victor and Gert.
During the Runaways' encounter with the second incarnation of the Pride, Gertrude was killed by the younger version of Geoffrey Wilder. She transfered telepathic control of Old Lace to Chase as she dies in his arms.
Deceased as of Runaways (2005) #18.
Briefly used the code name Arsenic.
First Appearance: Runaways (2003) #1
Gertrude Yorkes (Marvel) is a favorite character of 15 users
View a chronological listing of this character's appearances
All-New Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe A to Z (2006)
#1 Avengers Arena (2013)
- 'Abraxas to Batwing'
Free Comic Book Day 2006 (2006)
Humberto Ramos Toxic Waste Sketchbook (2007)
Marvel Previews (2003)
Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe A to Z (2008)
HC vol. 13 Runaways (2003)
- 'Valkyrior Steeds to Maximillian Zaran'
HC vol. 01 Runaways (2005)
- 'Runaways Vol. 01'#1
- 'Pride and Joy, Chapter 1'#2
- 'Pride and Joy, Chapter 2'#3
- 'Pride and Joy, Chapter 3'#4
- 'Pride and Joy, Chapter 4'#5
- 'Pride and Joy, Chapter 5'#6
- 'Pride and Joy, Chapter 6'#7
- 'Teenage Wasteland, Chapter 1'#8
- 'Teenage Wasteland, Chapter 2'#9
- 'Teenage Wasteland, Chapter 3'#10
- 'Teenage Wasteland, Chapter 4'#11
- 'Lost and Found, Part 1'#12
- 'Lost and Found, Part 2'#13
- 'The Good Die Young, Chapter 1'#14
- 'The Good Die Young, Chapter 2'#15
- 'The Good Die Young, Chapter 3'#16
- 'The Good Die Young, Chapter 4'#17
- 'The Good Die Young, Chapter 5'#18
#1 Runaways (2008)
- 'True Believers: Chapter 1'#2
- 'True Believers: Chapter 2'#3
- 'True Believers: Chapter 3'#4
- 'True Believers: Chapter 4'#5
- 'True Believers: Chapter 5'#6
- 'True Believers: Chapter 6'#7
- 'Star-Crossed: Chapter 1'#8
- 'Star-Crossed: Chapter 2'#9
- 'East Coast/West Coast: Chapter 1'#10
- 'East Coast/West Coast: Chapter 2'#11
- 'East Coast/West Coast: Chapter 3'#12
- 'East Coast/West Coast: Chapter 4'#14
- 'Parental Guidance: Chapter 1'#15
- 'Parental Guidance: Chapter 2'#16
- 'Parental Guidance: Chapter 3'#17
- 'Parental Guidance: Chapter 4'#18
- 'Parental Guidance: Chapter 5'#19
- 'Dead Means Dead: Chapter 1'#27
- 'Dead-End Kids, Part 3'
#1 What If? Fallen Son (2009)
- 'Find Your Way Home'#2
- 'Find Your Way Home pt II'#3
- 'Find Your Way Home pt III'#4
- 'Find Your Way Home pt IV'#5
- 'Find Your Way Home pt V'#6
- 'Find Your Way Home pt VI'#7
- 'Best Friends Forever pt I'#8
- 'Best Friends Forever pt II'#9
- 'Best Friends Forever pt III'#10
- 'Best Friends Forever pt IV'#11
- 'Am I the Same Girl You Used to Know'#12
- 'Time After Time'#13
- 'That Was Yesterday pt I'
What If? House of M (2009)
What If? Newer Fantastic Four (2009)
What If? Secret Wars (2009)
What If? Spider-Man Back in Black (2009)
Famous Quotes: - Add a Famous Quote
< Previous Character | Next Character >
Add this character to a run of issues in a title
Suggest an image for this character
View the contribution history for this character