Chase Stein (Marvel)
Search for 'Chase Stein (Marvel)' on Amazon
Chase has not been shown to have any powers of his own. In vol. 1, Chase stole telescopic x-ray goggles and the Fistigons from his parents' secret laboratory. The x-ray goggles allowed Chase to see through clothing, walls, and even through miles of rock. The Fistigons were metal gauntlets with built-in flamethrowers. The Fistigons allowed the wearer to mentally shape the produced flame into any form the wearer desired; the only limit was the wearer's imagination. Before the final fight with their parents, Chase nearly drowned and was too weak to go on. He gave the Fistigons and x-ray goggles to Alex, who subsequently betrayed the team to their parents. Nico used the Staff of One to magically destroy the gauntlets while he was still wearing them and the x-ray goggles were incinerated with Alex by the Gibborim.
In volume two, Chase's primary weapon is the Leapfrog, a frog-like land & sea transport designed by his parents. He taught himself how to pilot the vessel and to use the ship's built-in lasers. Chase has also used the Leapfrog itself to squash enemies. Throughout the first two volumes, Chase has carried a switchblade, although this has seen little use in combat.
Chase Stein is the "dumb athlete" son of praised inventors Victor and Janet Stein. The couple is secretly part of a group of archetypal villains called The Pride, along with the parents of Nico Minoru, Alex Wilder, Gertrude Yorkes, Karolina Dean and Molly Hayes. Chase is with the Pride's children when they secretly witness the Pride ritually sacrifice a young girl. He is among the first to vote for running away and steals his parents' x-ray goggles and the Fistigons, flame-throwing/manipulating gauntlets. In the ensuing altercation with his parents, Chase remains defiant and unafraid of his parents, firmly establishing himself as the most rebellious and reckless of the group, a trait he carries for the rest of Brian K. Vaughan's initial run on the title. Chase provides the runaways' with their first hideout, a dilapidated mansion he called "the Hostel," and their first transport, a white, unmarked van with stolen license plates. When they manage to finally escape their parents, group members who desire them take "superhero codenames." Chase initially wants to be called "Neo," but Gert labels him "Talkback" instead, referring to Chase's defiant nature.
After some time in hiding, Alex Wilder deciphers the Abstract, a mystical tome that records the past and present deeds of the Pride's members. It reveals that their parents had banded together to work for Biblical benefactors called the Gibborim to wipe out humanity (including themselves) and build a paradise on Earth for the six most loyal Pride members. When Victor and Janet Stein conceived Chase, they convinced the other couples to conceive children and bequeath paradise to them. It can be argued that without Chase, none of the other runaways would exist.
The Abstract also details an up and coming sacrificial ceremony that the runaways decide to interrupt. Once at the site, they are attacked by the hideout's security golem and Chase nearly drowns in the process. Gert revives Chase with CPR, the two share a kiss, and since Chase is too weak to go on, he offers the Fistigons and x-ray goggles to Alex. Chase unwittingly saves the team by hot-wiring "The Leapfrog," the Pride's land/sea transport vehicle, and gets them out of the lair before it implodes. When Chase surfaces the vessel, Captain America is waiting for the kids. He splits the kids up through California social services, but Chase tells the authorities that he will live with an aunt in Anaheim and runs away. Later, when the rest of the runaways leave their foster homes to meet each other, Chase turns up by surprise and leads them off to release Old Lace from an Avengers storage complex. After successfully rescuing Old Lace and the Leapfrog, the kids decide to band together and run away again, taking up lives as full-time vigilantes.
Briefly used the codename Talkback
First Appearance: Runaways (2003) #1
Darkhawk (Marvel)(02-Chase Stein)
Chase Stein (Marvel) is a favorite character of 13 users
View a chronological listing of this character's appearances
All-New Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe A to Z (2006)
#11 Avengers Academy (2010)
- 'Stranger to Ultimo'
#27 Avengers Arena (2013)
- 'Homecoming Part 2'
#1 Avengers Undercover (2014)
- 'Worse Things'#2
- 'Deadly Allies'#3
- 'Earth Girls Aren't Easy'#4
- 'The Survivor'#6
- 'Pawn Takes King'#10
- 'Game On Part 3 Of 5'#13
- 'The Devil's Greatest Trick'#16
- 'Boss Level Part 3 of 5'#17
- 'Boss Level Part 4 of 5'
#1 Breaking Into Comics the Marvel Way! (2010)
- 'Descent Part Two'#3
- 'Descent Part Three'#4
- 'Descent Part Four'#5
- 'Descent Part Five'#6
- 'Going Native Part One'#7
- 'Going Native Part Two'#8
- 'Going Native Part Three'#10
- 'Going Native Part Five'
Civil War: Young Avengers & Runaways (2006)
#1 Daken: Dark Wolverine (2010)
- 'Part One'#2
- 'Part Two'#3
- 'Part Three'#4
- 'Part Four'
#17 Free Comic Book Day 2006 (2006)
- 'Pride Comes..., Part 2'#18
- 'Pride comes..., part 3'#19
- 'Pride Comes... Conclusion'
Humberto Ramos Toxic Waste Sketchbook (2007)
Marvel Previews (2003)
Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe A to Z (2008)
Digest TPB vol. 01 Runaways (2005)
- 'Pride & Joy'Digest TPB vol. 02
- 'Teenage Wasteland'Digest TPB vol. 03
- 'The Good Die Young'HC vol. 01
- 'Runaways Vol. 01'Premiere HC vol. 01
- 'Pride & Joy'Premiere HC vol. 02
- 'Teenage Wasteland'TPB vol. 01
- 'Pride & Joy'TPB vol. 01 (Panini)
- 'Pride & Joy'TPB vol. 02
- 'Teenage Wasteland'TPB vol. 02 (Panini)
- 'Teenage Wasteland'#1
- 'Pride and Joy, Chapter 1'#2
- 'Pride and Joy, Chapter 2'#3
- 'Pride and Joy, Chapter 3'#4
- 'Pride and Joy, Chapter 4'#5
- 'Pride and Joy, Chapter 5'#6
- 'Pride and Joy, Chapter 6'#7
- 'Teenage Wasteland, Chapter 1'#8
- 'Teenage Wasteland, Chapter 2'#9
- 'Teenage Wasteland, Chapter 3'#10
- 'Teenage Wasteland, Chapter 4'#11
- 'Lost and Found, Part 1'#12
- 'Lost and Found, Part 2'#13
- 'The Good Die Young, Chapter 1'#14
- 'The Good Die Young, Chapter 2'#15
- 'The Good Die Young, Chapter 3'#16
- 'The Good Die Young, Chapter 4'#17
- 'The Good Die Young, Chapter 5'#18
HC vol. 03 Runaways (2008)
- 'Runaways Vol. 03'Premiere HC vol. 08
- 'Dead End Kids'TPB vol. 08
- 'Dead End Kids'#1
- 'True Believers: Chapter 1'#2
- 'True Believers: Chapter 2'#3
- 'True Believers: Chapter 3'#4
- 'True Believers: Chapter 4'#5
- 'True Believers: Chapter 5'#6
- 'True Believers: Chapter 6'#7
- 'Star-Crossed: Chapter 1'#8
- 'Star-Crossed: Chapter 2'#9
- 'East Coast/West Coast: Chapter 1'#10
- 'East Coast/West Coast: Chapter 2'#11
- 'East Coast/West Coast: Chapter 3'#12
- 'East Coast/West Coast: Chapter 4'#14
- 'Parental Guidance: Chapter 1'#15
- 'Parental Guidance: Chapter 2'#16
- 'Parental Guidance: Chapter 3'#17
- 'Parental Guidance: Chapter 4'#18
- 'Parental Guidance: Chapter 5'#19
- 'Dead Means Dead: Chapter 1'#20
- 'Dead Means Dead: Chapter 2'#21
- 'Dead Means Dead: Chapter 3'#22
- 'Live Fast: Chapter 1'#23
- 'Live Fast: Chapter 2'#24
- 'Live Fast: Chapter 3'#25
- 'Dead-End Kids'#26
- 'Dead-End Kids, Part 2'#27
- 'Dead-End Kids, Part 3'#28
- 'Dead-End Kids, Part 4'#29
- 'Dead-End Kids, Part 5'#30
- 'Dead-End Kids, Conclusion'
Runaways Saga (2007)
Secret Invasion: Runaways/Young Avengers (2008)
#1 The Mighty World Of Marvel (2014)
- 'Secret Invasion!, Part 1'#2
- 'Secret Invasion!, Part 2'#3
- 'Secret Invasion!, Part 3'
#1 What If? Astonishing X-Men (2010)
- 'At last... The Guardians of the Galaxy'#2
- 'The Guardians of the Galaxy'#3
#1 What If? Fallen Son (2009)
- 'What If Ord Resurrected Jean Grey Instead Of Colossus?'
#1 What If? House of M (2009)
- 'What If...Iron Man Had Died?'
#1 What If? Newer Fantastic Four (2009)
- 'What If...Scarlet Witch Ended the 'House of M' by Saying, "No More Powers?"'
#1 What If? Secret Wars (2009)
- 'What If... Newer Fantastic Four'
- 'What if... Doctor Doom Kept the Beyonder's Power?'#1 (Newsstand Edition)
- 'What if... Doctor Doom Kept the Beyonder's Power?'
Masters of Evil (Marvel)
Famous Quotes: - Add a Famous Quote
"That's more than the usual amount of ninjas."
< Previous Character | Next Character >
Add this character to a run of issues in a title
Suggest an image for this character
View the contribution history for this character