Juggernaut (Marvel)(01 - Cain Marko)
Real Name: Cain Marko
Search for 'Juggernaut (Marvel)(01 - Cain Marko)' on Amazon
Unstoppable force of nature. The Juggernaut's powers originate from the crystal gem of Cytorak.
Mind powers, only when his helmet is removed.
Cain Marko’s mother died when he was very young, leaving him to live a life of psychological and physical torment at the hands of his abusive father, atomic researcher Doctor Kurt Marko. Following the death of his colleague Doctor Brian Xavier, Kurt married Xavier's widow Sharon and he and Cain took up residence in the Xavier's Westchester mansion with Sharon and her young son, Charles.
Kurt seemingly preferred Charles to his own son, which consumed Cain with jealousy and he took to bullying his stepbrother. Cain's father continued to beat him, but Cain did not suffer the abuse alone. Inexperienced at the use of his emerging mutant telepathic powers, Charles shared the pain and inadvertently learned of Cain's jealousy towards him. This only ensured that Cain would forever hate Charles for his unwitting betrayal.
After an argument with his father, Cain accidentally caused a fire to engulf his father's home laboratory. Kurt saved Charles first, and then went back for Cain, reinforcing Cain's belief that his father loved Charles more than he. Kurt died of smoke inhalation, but not before warning Charles to always beware of Cain.
Soon after, both Cain and Charles were drafted into military service and served in same unit. When Cain deserted under fire during a mission in Asia, Charles pursued, hoping to convince his stepbrother to return of his own accord. Charles followed Cain into a cave that housed the lost temple of Cyttorak, a powerful mystical entity. Therein, Cain unearthed the Crimson Gem of Cyttorak and, upon touching it, was transformed by its mystical energies into a human juggernaut. A subsequent cave-in buried Cain, and Charles believed his stepbrother dead.
Cain eventually dug himself free and made his way to America where he sought to use his newfound strength to exact revenge on Charles. However, he was defeated on every attempt by the X-Men, a team of mutant adventurers fighting to preserve Charles’ dream of peaceful coexistence between humans and mutants. Cain then formed a criminal partnership with the mutant mercenary Black Tom Cassidy, and the pair soon became two of the world’s most wanted criminals.
After many years of villainy, Cain was teleported to an alternate universe where he helped form the team of costumed adventurers known as the eXiles. Cain was eventually returned to his own universe, whereupon he encountered the psionic being known as Onslaught who used his enormous powers to physically hurl Cain from Canada to New York. There, he encountered the X-Men once more and was taken to Charles’ mansion for medical treatment. On waking, Cain sought out Charles to warn him of Onslaught. To his horror, Cain discovered that Onslaught was Charles who tore the Ruby of Cyttorak from Cain’s chest and trapped him within it. Therein, Cain discovered an entire plane of existence and encountered a corrupt aspect of Cyttorak. The mystic named Gomurr the Ancient sought to help free Cain from the jewel, imbuing him with the gem's power. Using his newfound strength, Cain destroyed the aspect and was freed from the gem, returning with more power than ever before. Ignoring Gomurr's warning that he was fated to destroy everything and everyone in his path, Cain returned to his villainous ways.
Soon after, Cain heard a rumor of a second Cyttorak Gem, and, coveting its power, he returned to the Temple where he found the first. However, it was a trap set by a Cult who sought the power of the Ruby for themselves, draining Cain's power to energize their Ruby. With the assistance of Black Tom and the X-Men, Cain claimed the power of the second Ruby, but it was possessed by an evil spirit which took over his body. The spirit made Cain smash through dimensional walls in an attempt to destroy its nemesis, but the natives of the other dimension ultimately freed Cain from its possession.
Cain eventually discovered that his becoming the Juggernaut was no accident. He had been compelled to enter the temple of Cyttorak, who was one of a pantheon of eight gods that each had an avatar on Earth. These avatars, named the Exemplars, enlisted Cain’s aid in constructing a machine that would remove humanity's free will, thus allowing their gods to rule the Earth. With Charles’ help, Cain regained control of his psyche and foiled the Exemplars’ plan.
Cain was again cast as a hero when the sentient spaceship Prosh returned to Earth to gather a group of costumed adventurers for a journey through time to uncover the keys to preserving human evolution. Whilst in the past, Cain was shown that despite all his yearning for power, he had squandered his mystical abilities. When the team reassembled in the present, they fought and defeated the alien entity named the Stranger who sought to control the natural evolution of mankind.
Soon after, Cain was drafted into the service of the Commission for Superhuman Activities as a super-powered bounty hunter. However, this new career was short-lived, and Cain eventually found himself working alongside Black Tom once more. Soon after, Cain requested the X-Men's help in stopping Tom, whose plant-based powers had resurfaced and flared out of control. After a brief clash with the X-Men, it came to light that Cain had been stripped of Cyttorak's mystical energies and was no longer invulnerable. Tom was defeated, but not before he knocked Cain into the surrounding waters. A young aquatic mutant named Samuel Pare saved Cain's life, forming a strong bond of friendship between the unlikely pair. When Cain was invited by his stepbrother to take up residence at the mansion, he accepted and soon came to appreciate his newfound lot in life. After assisting the X-Men on a mission, Cain joined the team.
After Sammy was returned home to Canada, Cain defied a restraining order to visit the boy. When he learned that Sammy’s father was physically abusing him, he flew into a rage and accidentally injured Sammy’s mother. Alpha Flight arrived to defuse the situation and, on seeing a terrified young Samuel, Cain surrendered himself and was taken into custody. Incarcerated in a holding facility designed to contain superhuman criminals, Cain was appointed a lawyer in the form of Jennifer Walters, the She-Hulk. Whilst Charles discussed a plan of legal action with Walters, another of the facility's inmates - the Rhino - broke free, setting Cain loose in the process. Rather than escape, Cain stayed and defeated the Rhino in order to save the life of a guard. This heroic act, combined with the Canadian government's less than ideal incarceration methods, was enough to make a case for Cain and endear him to Walters.
Soon after, Cain and Walters began a romantic relationship that was cut short by the arrival of Cyttorak's new avatar. With Walters’ aid, Cain defeated the new Juggernaut, but the damage he had caused during the battle forced Walters to rethink her feelings for him. An impassioned plea from Sammy’s mother led to Cain receiving a reduced sentence, as well as extradition back to the United States. Cain continued to serve as a member of the X-Men whilst undertaking community service and anger management therapy.
After the recent decimation of the mutant population following "M-Day," Cain journeyed to England where he joined a new incarnation of the British super-team Excalibur.
Juggernaut gets his powers back in Dark Avengers #182.
First Appearance: Uncanny X-Men (1963) #12
Juggernaut (Marvel)(01 - Cain Marko) is a favorite character of 52 users
View a chronological listing of this character's appearances
AAFES 9th Edition [New Avengers: Hero Exchange] (2010)
All-New Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe A to Z (2006)
#4 All-New Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe A to Z: Update (2007)
- 'Damon Dran to Goodman, Lieber, Kurtzberg, & Holliway'
#3 All-New X-Men (2016)
- 'Acts of Vengance to Zodiac Key'
Amazing Adventures (1970)
#16 Amazing X-Men (2014)
- 'And the Juggernaut Will Get You... If You Don't Watch Out!'
#15 Avengers (1998)
- 'The Once and Future Juggernaut Part One of Four'#16
- 'The Once and Future Juggernaut Part Two of Four'#17
- 'The Once and Future Juggernaut Part Three of Four'#18
- 'The Once and Future Juggernaut Conclusion'#19
- 'The Once and Future Juggernaut Epilogue: Enough'
#24 Avengers (2010)
- 'Harsh Judgments'#25
- 'The Ninth Day'
Avengers Academy (2010)
#3 Avengers/JLA (2003)
- 'Boyfriend In A Coma'#4
- 'Fix You'
#4 Battlezones: Dream Team² (1996)
- 'The Brave...and the Bold'
Beavis and Butt-Head (1994)
Black Panther (2005)
#18 Black September (1995)
- 'Bride of the Panther, Part 5: Here Come a Storm'
Infinity Breaking Into Comics the Marvel Way! (2010)
- 'The Nanosecond the Earth Stood Still'
Captain America (1968)
#4 Classic X-Men (1986)
- 'The Hollow Man, Conclusion'
#44 Code of Honor (1997)
- 'Elegy & Her First and Last'
#3 Cyclops (2001)
- 'Book Three: The Streets'
#1 Dark Avengers (2012)
- 'Odyssey, Chapter One: If Looks Could Kill'#2
- 'Odyssey, Chapter Two: Eye of the Storm'
#180 Dark Reign Files (2009)
- 'Change is Good'#181
- 'Boss Level'#182
- 'Nothing Stops Justice!'#183
- 'The End is the Beginning'
DC Versus Marvel/Marvel Versus DC (1996)
Preview Deadline (2002)
- 'DC Versus Marvel/Marvel Versus DC Consumer Preview'TPB#1
- 'DC Versus Marvel/Marvel Versus DC: Round One'
#1 Deadpool (1997)
- 'If Looks Could Kill!'#2
- 'Luck of the Irish'#3
- 'Deadpool Sandwich'#4
- 'Mano @ Mano'
#61 Deadpool (2013)
- 'Funeral for a Freak, Part 1 of 4: 'Nuff Said!'
Deadpool: The Circle Chase (1993)
#1 Death of Wolverine: Life After Logan (2015)
- 'Ducks in a Row!'#2
- 'Rabbit Season, Duck Season'
Defenders: From the Marvel Vault (2011)
Der Unglaubliche Hulk Comic-Taschenbuch (1980)
Despicable Deadpool (2017)
#298 Doctor Strange (1968)
- 'The Marvel Universe Kills Deadpool Part Two'
#182 Doctor Strange: Sorcerer Supreme (1988)
- 'And Juggernaut Makes Three!'
#44 Dream Team (1995)
- 'The Color Crimson'
Essential X-Men (1995)
#142 Excalibur (1988)
- 'The Funeral Of Magneto!'
#28 Fear Itself (2011)
- 'Unnatural Instincts: Part 1'#29
- 'Unnatural Instincts: Part 2'#30
- 'Unnatural Instincts: Part 3'#46
- 'Earn Your Wings: Part 1'
#2 Fear Itself: The Worthy (2011)
- 'Chapter 2: The Worthy'
#2 Fred Hembeck Destroys the Marvel Universe (1989)
- 'I'm the Juggernaut!!!'
Generation X (1994)
#60 Glenn Fabry Sketchbook (2013)
- 'Christmas Fear'#61
- 'Christmas Fear, Part 2'
Hämähäkkimies / Spider-Man (1980)
Heroic Age: Villains (2011)
#1 Hulk (2008)
- 'Heroic Age Villains'
Identity Disc (2004)
Incredible Hulks (2012)
Indestructible Hulk (2013)
Infinity Wars: Sleepwalker (2018)
Iron Man (1998)
#22 Juggernaut (1997)
- 'The Thrill of the Chase!'
Klaws of the Panther (2010)
#4 Madness in Murderworld (1989)
- 'Part 4: Enter The Black Widow'
#1 Marvel 1985 (2008)
- 'Madness in Murderworld'
Marvel Adventures Two-In-One (2007)
Marvel Age (1983)
Marvel Annual & Quarterly Reports (1992)
#3 Marvel Collector's Edition (1993)
- 'Marvel 1993 Annual Report'
Marvel Divas (2009)
#3 Marvel Encyclopedia (2002)
- 'A Night to Remember'
Marvel Encyclopedia (2014)
Marvel Girl (2011)
Marvel Knights: X-Men (2014)
#3 Marvel Saga: The Official History of the Marvel Universe (1985)
- 'Haunted Part Three of Five'#4
- 'Haunted Four of Five'#5
- 'Haunted Part 5 of 5'
#21 Marvel Tales (1964)
- 'Book XXI: The Struggle for Power!'
#238 Marvel Team-Up (1972)
- ''Tis Better to Give! Part II'
#150 Marvel Universe: The End (2003)
- ''Tis Better to Give'
Marvel vs. Capcom: Official Complete Works (2012)
Marvel: The Year-in-Review (1989)
#1 Marvels Companion (2014)
- '1989 The Year in Review'
TPB Mutants Vs. Ultras: First Encounters (1995)
- 'Marvels Companion'
New Excalibur (2006)
#1 New Mutants (2009)
- 'Here We Go Again!'#2
- 'Cast a Giant Shadow!'#3
- 'Shadows on the Soul!'#4
- 'Old Times Now Are Not Forgotten!'#5
- 'Howling Mad!'#6
- 'So, Why Is It, I'm Not Dead!?'#7
- 'The Price of Friendship'#8
- 'Brain Storm'#9
- 'The Last Days of Camelot: Part 1'#11
- 'The Last Days of Camelot: Part 2'#12
- 'The Last Days of Camelot: Part 3'#13
- 'Unredeemed: Part 1'#14
- 'Unredeemed: Part 2'#15
- 'Unredeemed: Part 3'#16
- 'Fallen Friend: Part 1'#17
- 'Fallen Friend: Part 2'#18
- 'To Rise Again This Day!'#19
- 'The Game Begins'#20
- 'The Best Laid Plans'#21
- 'England Is Mine!'#22
- 'Turn Back The Clock'#23
- 'Too Many Ways To Die!'#24
- 'Two Captains, One Destiny...'
New Warriors Classic (2009)
Not Brand Echh (1967)
Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe A to Z (2008)
Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe: X-Men 2004 (2004)
Peter Parker: Spider-Man (1999)
#11 Peter Parker: The Spectacular Spider-Man (2017)
- 'An Exemplary Day!'
Peter Parker: Unemployed (2010)
Professor Xavier and the X-Men (1995)
#12 Punisher Kills the Marvel Universe (1995)
- 'Sibling Rivalry'#13
- 'Living Dangerously'
Punisher kills the Marvel Universe (2001)
#1 Secret Wars II (1985)
- 'Going Rogue, Part 1'
#7 She-Hulk (2005)
- 'Charge of the Dark Brigade!'
#25 Siren (1995)
- 'The Whole Hero Thing: Part One'
#16 Spider-Man [GER] (2007)
- 'Sabotage Pt. 1'#57#84
- 'Nothing Stops the Juggernaut'
#1 Spider-Man Megazine (1994)
- 'Chaos auf Ryker's Island'#47
- 'Werd erwachsen'
#37 Strange Tales II (2010)
- 'Who Am I?'#38
- 'Criminal at Large!'#50
Superior Spider-Man (2013)
#27 The All New Exiles (1995)
- 'Goblin Nation Part One'
The All New Exiles Vs. X-Men (1995)
The Amazing Spider-Man (1963)
The Amazing Spider-Man (1999)
The Avengers (1963)
The Best of Marvel Comics (1987)
The Incredible Hulk (1968)
Annual 16 The Incredible Hulk: Mayhem at the Mount (1993)
- 'Lifeform Part 3'#172
- 'And Canst Thou Slay... The Juggernaut?'#402
- 'The Forest for the Trees'#403
- 'In Memory Yet Green'#404
- 'Disarray Thataway'#456
- 'War and Rememberance'#457
- 'Of Course You Realise This Means War'#601#602#611
#3 The Marvel Encyclopedia (2006)
- 'Mayhem at the Mount'
HC The Marvel Masterpieces Collection (1993)
- 'The Marvel Encyclopedia'
The Marvel X-Men Collection (1994)
The Mighty World of Marvel (1972)
The New Warriors (1990)
#11 The Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe (1983)
- 'Days of Present Past'#12
- 'A Betrayal of Hope'#13
- 'A World For the Winning'
#5 The Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe Deluxe Edition (1985)
- 'H-J: From Hangman to Juggernaut'
#6 The Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe: Master Edition (1990)
- 'Human Torch to Ka-Zar'
The Phoenix Resurrection (1996)
The Phoenix Resurrection: Aftermath (1996)
The Phoenix Resurrection: Revelations (1995)
The Punisher (2000)
The Savage Hulk (1996)
The Sensational She-Hulk (1989)
#30 The Super-Heroes (1975)
- 'A Change of State Part II'
The Very Best of the X-Men (1994)
HC The X-Men Prelude to Perdition (1995)
- 'The Very Best of the X-Men'
#1 The X-Men Premium Edition (1993)
- 'Prelude to Perdition'
#1 Thor (1966)
- 'The Psi-Ber Scenario'
#411 Thor (1998)
- 'The Gentleman's Name is Juggernaut!'#412
- 'Introducing... The New Warriors!'#428
- 'If This Be Juggernaut!'#429
- 'The World is Mine!'
#17 Thor (2018)
- 'The Eighth Day, 1 of Four'#85
- 'Ragnarok, Part the Last'
Uncanny Avengers [II] (2015)
#28#29 Uncanny X-Men (1963)
- 'Stars & Garters, Part 2: Broken Bones'
#12 Uncanny X-Men (2012)
- 'The Origin of Professor X!'#13
- 'Where Walks the Juggernaut!'#32
- 'Beware the Juggernaut My Son!'#33
- 'Into the Crimson Cosmos!'#46
- 'The End of the X-Men!'#101
- 'Like a Phoenix, From the Ashes!'#102
- 'Who Shall Stop the Juggernaut?'#103
- 'The Fall of the Tower'#107
- 'Where No X-Man Has Gone Before!'#122
- 'Cry for the Children!'#124
- 'He Only Laughs When I Hurt!'#138
- 'Elegy'#138 (Newsstand Edition)
- 'He'll Never Make Me Cry'#194
- 'Juggernaut's Back in Town'#217
- 'Folly's Gambit'#218
- 'Charge of the Light Brigade'#322
- 'Dark Walk'#333
- 'The Other Shoe...'#334
- 'Dark Horizon'#361
- 'Thieves in the Temple'#369
- 'Collision Course'#410
- 'Hope: Part 1'#411
- 'Hope: Part 2'#412
- 'Hope: Part 3'#413
- 'Annie's Moving Story'#416
- 'Living In a Mansion'#417
- 'Dominant Species, Part 1'#418
- 'Dominant Species, Part II'#419
- 'Dominant Species, Part III'#420
- 'Dominant Species: Conclusion'#421
- 'Rules of Engagement, Part 1 of 2'#422
- 'Rules of Engagement, Part 2 of 2'#425
- 'Sacred Vows, 1 of 2'#426
- 'Sacred Vows, Part II of II'#429
- 'The Draco, Part 1 of 6: Sins of the Father'#431
- 'The Draco, Part III of VI'#432
- 'The Draco, Part IV of VI'#433
- 'The Draco, Part V of VI'#434
- 'The Draco, Conclusion'#435
- 'Trial of the Juggernaut, Part 1 of 2'#436
- 'The Trial of Juggernaut, Conclusion'#442
- 'Of Darkest Nights, 1 of 2'#444
- 'The End of History, 1 of 4'#460
- 'Resurrections & Reunions'#461
- 'Mojo Rising!'#465
- 'Season of the Witch, Part 4 of 4: Chaos Rules'#600
#15 Unlimited Access (1997)
- 'This Strange, Unpleasant Land Part 1 of 3'
#1 Venom (2018)
- 'No Time Like The Present!'#3
- 'The Greatest Heroes of All Time!'#4
- 'Combined Forces'
Venom: The Madness (1993)
#1 Weapon X (2002)
- 'Toxic Kisses'#2
#18 What If? X-Men Deadly Genesis (2007)
- 'Defection, Part 3: A Piece of the Soul'
#1 What If...? (1989)
- 'What If Xavier's Second Team Had Survived?'
#1 What The--?! (1988)
- 'What If the Avengers Had Lost The Evolutionary War?'#24
- 'What If... Wolverine Had Become the Lord of Vampires?'#67
- 'What If Captain America Were Revived Today? Part 1: A Fighting Chance'#68
- 'What If Captain America Were Revived Today? Part 2: Liberty's Sword'#77
- 'What If... Legion Had Killed Magneto?'
#21#25 Wild Thing (1999)
- 'All Mutant Parody Issue'
#93 Wolverine (2003)
- 'A Tavern in the Town'
Wolverine Encyclopedia (1996)
Wolverine Saga (1989)
#2 Wonder Man (1991)
- 'Book Two: The Animal Unleashed'
Annual 01 World War Hulk: X-Men (2007)
- 'The System Bytes Part 3: To The Max'
#2 X-Force (1991)
- 'Sworn to Protect'#3
- 'Sworn to Protect'
#42 X-Men Forever (2001)
- 'Heaven Can Wait'#53
- 'False Fronts'#54
- 'Inquiring Minds'#61
- 'A World Apart'#157
- 'Day of the Atom, Part 1: Black Holes'#158
- 'Day of the Atom, Part 2: Immortals'#159
- 'Day of the Atom, Part 3'#160
- 'Day of the Atom, Part 4: Forces of Nature'#161
- 'Heroes and Villains: Part 1'#162
- 'Heroes and Villains: Part 2: Treachery'#163
- 'Heroes and Villains: Part 3: Foreshadowing'#164
- 'Heroes and Villains: Part 4: Full Circle'
#1 X-Men Legacy (2008)
- 'The Destiny Pact'#2
- 'Choices Once Made'#3
- 'All of God's Creatures'#4
- 'The Age of Innocence'#5
- 'Iceman-Present and Accounted For'#6
- 'Tomorrow Begins Today'
#211 X-Men Onslaught Preview (1998)
- 'Sins of the Father: Part 1'#212
- 'Sins of the Father: Part 2'#219
X-Men Poster Magazine (1995)
X-Men Unlimited (1993)
#12 X-Men Unlimited (2004)
- 'The Once and Future Juggernaut'#13
- 'Fugitive from Space!'#40#44
- 'Can They Suffer?'
X-Men: Black - Juggernaut (2018)
X-Men: Blue (2017)
X-Men: Erste Entscheidung (2011)
#2 X-Men: First Class (2006)
- 'Monster und Mutanten'
X-Men: First Class Special (2007)
X-Men: Grand Design (2018)
X-Men: Grand Design - Second Genesis (2018)
X-Men: Manifest Destiny (2008)
#2 X-Men: Millennial Visions (2000)
- 'Kill or Cure: Part 2'
#1 X-Men: Mutant Empire (1996)
- 'Millennial Visions'
X-Men: Odd Men Out (2008)
X-Men: Ronin (2003)
#5 X-Men: The Jewels of Cyttorak (1997)
- 'Shima (Zone of Death)'
X-Men: The Ultra Collection (1994)
X-Men: The Last Stand (2006)
Video Game Appearances:
Captain America and the Avengers (1991)
Marvel Super Heroes (1995)
Marvel vs. Capcom : Clash of Super Heroes (1998)
Marvel vs. Capcom 2 : New Age of Heroes (2000)
The Uncanny X-Men (1989)
X-Men vs. Street Fighter (1996)
X-Men: Children of the Atom (1994)
X-Men: Legends (2005)
X-Men: Legends II: Rise of Apocalypse (2005)
X-Men: Mutant Apocalypse (1994)
X-Men: Next Dimension (2002)
X-Men: The Official Game (2006)
X2: Wolverine's Revenge (2003)
Thunderbolts (Marvel)(04 - Heroic Age)
U.S. Army (Marvel)
X-Men (Marvel)(01 - Mutants)
Famous Quotes: - Add a Famous Quote
"Nobody offers the Juggernaut a light beer and lives!"
"I'm the Juggernaunt BITCH!"
< Previous Character | Next Character >
Add this character to a run of issues in a title
Suggest an image for this character
View the contribution history for this character