Clayface (DC)(03 - Preston Payne)
Real Name: Preston Payne
Search for 'Clayface (DC)(03 - Preston Payne)' on Amazon
Superhuman strength (due to exoskeleton he must wear).
Born with a deformity, Preston Payne was shunned his entire life. Since no amount of surgery could repair his disfigurement, Payne eventually approached Matt Hagen [Clayface II] and asked his secret. Hagen would not reveal the source of his powers but finally allowed Payne to draw a sample of his blood. Using this, Payne developed a serum which, instead of curing him, instead caused his body to lose cohesion. Now he must wear an exoskeleton to contain his clay-like flesh and is periodically subject to excruciating "fevers" which can cause anyone he touches to turn to protoplasm.
Father (with Sondra Fuller) of Cassius Payne (Clayface 5).
First Appearance: Detective Comics (1937) #477
Clayface (DC)(03 - Preston Payne) is a favorite character of 3 users
View a chronological listing of this character's appearances
Across the Universe: DC Universe Stories of Alan Moore (2003)
TPB Arkham Asylum (1989)
- 'Across the Universe: The DC Universe Stories of Alan Moore'
Batman [FIN] (1987)
Batman Arkham: Clayface (2017)
TPB Batman Villains Secret Files (1998)
- 'Batman Arkham: Clayface'
Batman: Azyl Arkham (2005)
Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight (1989)
#201 Batman: Shadow of the Bat (1992)
- 'Cold Case, Part 1 of 3: True Crime'
TPB vol. 03 Batman: Turning Points (2001)
- 'Batman: Shadow of the Bat Volume 3'#26
- 'Knightquest: The Crusade: Creatures of Clay, Part 1: Diary of a Lover'#27
- 'Knightquest: The Crusade: Creatures of Clay, Part 2: Child's Clay'
TPB Chase (2011)
- 'Turning Points'#3
DC Universe by Alan Moore (2012)
DC Universe: The Stories of Alan Moore (2006)
TPB Detective Comics (1937)
- 'DC Universe: The Stories of Alan Moore'
Annual 02 Doctor Fate (1988)
- 'Blood Secrets'TPB
- 'Batman: Strange Apparitions'#477
- 'The House That Haunted Batman!'#478
- 'The Coming Of... Clayface III!'#479#604
- 'The Mud Pack, Part One: Men of Clay'#605
- 'The Mud Pack, Part Two: Heart of Steel; Feet of Clay?'#606
- 'The Mud Pack, Part Three: Killer Clay!'#607
- 'The Mud Pack, Part Four: The China Clay Syndrome'
JLA - Die neue Gerechtigkeitsliga Sonderband (1997)
#8 JLA in Crisis Secret Files (1998)
- 'Aus den geheimen Archiven 2'
Legends of the Dark Knight: Marshall Rogers (2011)
HC Legends of the Dark Knight: Norm Breyfogle (2015)
- 'Legends of the Dark Knight: Marshall Rogers'
Rogues Gallery (1996)
Secret Origins (1986)
#23 Shadow of the Batman (1985)
- 'Starring Floronic Man & Guardians of the Universe'#44
- 'Featuring Batman vs. The Mudpack'
Swamp Thing (1985)
HC vol. 05 Tales of the Batman: J.H. Williams III (2014)
- 'Book Five'#52
- 'Natural Consequences'#66
- 'One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest'
HC Tales of the Batman: Len Wein (2014)
- 'Tales of the Batman: J.H. Williams III'
HC The Creeper (1997)
- 'Tales of the Batman: Len Wein'
#7 The DC Comics Encyclopedia (2004)
- 'He Who Laughs Last'
HC Who's Who in the DC Universe (1990)
- 'The DC Comics Encyclopedia: Updated And Expanded'HC
- 'The DC Comics Encyclopedia'
#2 Who's Who: The Definitive Directory of the DC Universe (1985)
- 'Booster Gold to Starman'
Who's Who: Update '87 (1987)
- 'Reaper to Zymyr plus Appendix'
S.T.A.R. Labs (DC)
Famous Quotes: - Add a Famous Quote
< Previous Character | Next Character >
Add this character to a run of issues in a title
Suggest an image for this character
View the contribution history for this character