Doctor 13, the Ghost-Breaker (DC)
Real Name: Terrence Thirteen.
Search for 'Doctor 13, the Ghost-Breaker (DC)' on Amazon
Terrence Thirteen, Ph.D., is a professional skeptic and debunker. He investigates apparently supernatural occurrences and exposes them as frauds or illusions, often in the process exposing someone who intended to frighten or control others through the fraud. He and the Stranger have often worked on the same case, but for many years Dr. 13 was unremittingly hostile toward the Stranger because he was convinced the man in black was just a fraud he hadn't managed to expose yet. He has softened in his attitudes in later years, both towards the Stranger and towards magic, though he still looks for rational and natural explanations whenever possible. He continues his academic and professional activities to this day. For many years his wife Marie travelled with him on his work; she was usually more willing to listen to the Stranger than Terry was. Marie has not been in the stories for many years, and her current status and whereabouts are unknown (we've been no reason to think she isn't still alive and married, but no reason to think that she is, either.)
Today, his activities are explained that he is unconsciously drawn to supernatural hoaxes and while disproving those, he equally unconsciously ignores the real thing. His daughter, Traci Thirteen is a sorceress, a fact he finds most upsetting.
Dr. Thirteen had until recently been dating Zatanna. While exploring a mystical realm with Zatanna and others, he accepts what is happening, but explains it in terms of physics, rather than magic. However, during this exploration he, and everyone else involved except Zatanna, is killed.
Name has been spelled Terrence, Terence, and Terrance.
First Appearance: Star Spangled Comics (1941) #122
Doctor 13, the Ghost-Breaker (DC) is a favorite character of 11 users
View a chronological listing of this character's appearances
Action Comics (1938)
Adventure Comics (1938)
#428 Batman (1940)
- 'Adventure Comics presents Black Orchid'
Blue Beetle (2006)
Books of Magic (1990)
Booster Gold (2007)
#2 DC Challenge (1985)
- '52 Pick-Up, Chapter 2: Leggo My Ego'#3
- '52 Pick-Up, Chapter 3: Hexed'
#4 DC Comics Presents: Superman (2010)
- 'Atomic Nights'#5
- 'Thunderbolts and Lightning'#6
- 'A Matter of Antimatter'#7
- 'Don't Bogart That Grape...Hand Me The Gas Pump!'#8
- 'If This is Love, Why Do My Teeth Hurt?'#9
- 'All This and World War, Too'
DC Special Blue Ribbon Digest (1980)
#6 DC Super Stars (1976)
- 'You Will Believe In... Ghosts'
#18 Detective Comics (1937)
- 'presents Deadman and the Phantom Stranger'
Doom Patrol (1987)
Flashpoint: The World of Flashpoint (2011)
#1 Flashpoint: The World of Flashpoint Featuring Superman (2012)
- 'This Is the World We Live In'#2
- 'This Is The World We Made'#3
- 'This is the World We Hope For'
TPB Ghosts (1971)
- 'Flashpoint: The World of Flashpoint Featuring Superman'
House of Mystery (1951)
House of Secrets (1956)
#150 Scooby-Doo Team-Up (2014)
- 'A God By Any Other Name'
Scooby-Doo! Team-Up (2013)
#3 Seven Soldiers: Zatanna (2005)
- 'Who's Scared? Part 1'#4
- 'Who's Scared? Part 2'
#80 Star Spangled Comics (1941)
- 'Men Call Me The Phantom Stranger'
Tales of the Unexpected (2006)
Teen Titans (2003)
The Brave and the Bold (1955)
#89 The DC Comics Encyclopedia (2004)
- 'Arise Ye Ghosts of Gotham'
HC The Phantom Stranger (1969)
- 'The DC Comics Encyclopedia'HC
- 'The DC Comics Encyclopedia: Updated And Expanded'
#1#2#3#4#5#6 The Vertigo Encyclopedia (2008)
- 'No. 13 Thirteenth Street'#7
- 'The Curse!'#8
- 'Journey to the Tomb of the Ice Giants!'#9
- 'Obeah Man'#10
- 'Death ... Call Not My Name!'#12
- 'Marry Me - - Marry Death!'#13
- 'A Child Of Death!'#14
- 'The Man With No Heart!'#15
- 'The Iron Messiah!'#16
- 'Image In Wax'#17
- 'Like A Ghost From The Ashes'#18
- 'Home Is The Sailor'#19
- 'Return To The Tomb Of The Ice Giants'#21
- 'The Resurrection Of Johnny Glory'#22
- 'Circle Of Evil'#34
- 'A Death In The Family'
HC Vertigo Visions: Dr. Thirteen (1998)
- 'The Vertigo Encylopedia'
#1 Who's Who: The Definitive Directory of the DC Universe (1985)
- 'Do AIs Dream of Electric Sleep?'
Famous Quotes: - Add a Famous Quote
< Previous Character | Next Character >
Add this character to a run of issues in a title
Suggest an image for this character
View the contribution history for this character