Search for 'Attuma (Marvel)' on Amazon
Attuma possesses the typical attributes of Homo mermanus: gills to enable him to extract oxygen from the water, superhuman physiology to enable him to withstand the extreme water pressure changes beneath the sea, blood circulation enabling him to withstand freezing temperatures, and specially-developed vision which is more sensitive to the green portion of the spectrum enabling him to see in deep murky waters.
Attuma is far stronger that the typical Atlantean. Whereas most Atlanteans can swim at a speed of 30 miles per hour, Attuma can swim at 60 miles per hour. Like all Atlanteans, Attuma cannot breathe air out of water. He is capable of lasting approximately ten minutes out of water before he begins to suffocate.
The longer Attuma is away from water, the weaker he becomes. Being away from water for too long a time could prove to be fatal.
Attuma was born into the tribe of Homo mermanus who eschewed civilization to live as nomadic barbarians. For some unrecorded reason, Attuma was endowed with strength far surpassing that of his people. Nearing adulthood, Attuma learned of a prophesy, in the lost Atlantean Chronicles, of a conqueror who would take the empire of Atlantis by force. Believing he is that conqueror, Attuma has launched numerous attacks on the city of Atlantis and its regent Namor the Sub-Mariner.
Unable to best Namor in personal combat, Attuma has frequently taken allies to further his ambitions. These alliances have also met with defeat. The first time Attuma attacked Atlantis, the Fantastic Four aided Namor in repulsing his attack. In recent years, Attuma has battled the Avengers as well. Not renowned for his intelligence, Attuma has frequently employed renegade Atlantean and human scientists. One of them created the Octo-Meks, octopus-shaped fighting machines. Another proposed that he mate with human mutants in order to produce a sire stronger than Namor himself. Toward this end he abducted the mutant Phoenix, but she thwarted his plans. Although Attuma has never been able to claim a lasting victor over Namor, he was a party to the death of Namor's bride, Lady Dorma. Attuma is still at large in the Atlantic Ocean, having never been imprisoned for any of his deeds.
First Appearance: Fantastic Four (1961) #33
Attuma (Marvel) is a favorite character of 1 user
View a chronological listing of this character's appearances
Alpha Flight (1983)
#42 Avengers/JLA (2003)
- 'No More Tomorrows'#43
- 'Global Presence'
#4 Beavis and Butt-Head (1994)
- 'The Brave...and the Bold'
Beavis und Butt-Head (1994)
Bizarre Adventures (1981)
Captain America (1968)
#600 Citizen V and the V-Battalion (2001)
- 'Origin / One Year After / In Memorium / The Persistence of Memorabilia'
Dark Reign: Made Men (2009)
Dark Reign: Made Men (Webcomics) (2009)
#2 Defenders (2005)
- 'The Curse'#5
- 'Fire Above, Thunder Below'#11
#1 Doom 2099 (1993)
- 'Almost a Good Idea...'
#44 Fantastic Four (1961)
- 'Entangling Alliances'
Fantastic Four Adventures (2005)
#47 Fantastic Four: The End (2007)
- 'A Family Torn Apart!'
Fear Itself (2011)
#2 Fear Itself: The Worthy (2011)
- 'Chapter 2: The Worthy'#7
- 'Chapter 7: Thor's Day'
#6 Hercules (2005)
- '-- Death Strikes Swiftly!'
#3 Heroic Age: Villains (2011)
- 'The New Labors of Hercules, Part 3'
#1 Hulk / Sub-Mariner '98 (1998)
- 'Heroic Age Villains'
Incredible Hulks (2014)
Indestructible Hulk (2013)
#4 Iron Man (1968)
- 'Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D.'#5
Marvel Fanfare (1982)
Marvel Heroes & Legends (1997)
#1 Marvel Masterworks (1987)
- 'Avengers Assemble!'
#25 Marvel Masterworks: The Sub-Mariner (2002)
- 'The Fantastic Four'
Marvel Triple Action (1972)
#20 Marvels (1994)
- 'The Voice of the Wasp!'#21
- 'Four Against the Floodtide!'
Namor, The Sub-Mariner (1990)
Annual 01 Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe A To Z Update (2010)
- 'Subterranean Wars Part 3'#45
- 'Hunting Ground'#53
- 'The Wreck of the Endurance, Part 2'
Saga of the Sub-Mariner (1988)
#9 Sentry (2006)
- 'Rendezvous with Destiny'#10
- 'Losses in Battle'#12
- 'Triumphs and Tragedy'
#1 Super-Villain Team-Up (1975)
- 'Under the Eye of the Clock'
#1 Tales of Suspense (1959)
- 'Slayers From The Sea!'#2
- 'In The Midst of Life...! / The Way to Dusty Death !'#3
- 'If Vengeance Fails !'#9
- 'Pawns of Attuma!'#10
- 'The Sign of the Skull!'
Tales to Astonish (1959)
The Avengers (1963)
Annual 17 The Defenders (1972)
- 'Prometheus Mutans!'Annual 18
- 'Atlantis Attacks, Chapter Eight: Avengers Assembled'#26
- 'The Voice of the Wasp!'#27
- 'Four Against the Flood-Tide!'#154
- 'When Strikes Attuma?'#155
- 'To Stand Alone!'#156
- 'The Private War of Doctor Doom!'#272
- 'Assault on Atlantis'
#7 The Marvel Encyclopedia (2006)
- 'War Below the Waves!'
The Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe (1983)
#1 The Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe Deluxe Edition (1985)
- 'A: From Abomination to Avengers Quinjet'
#1 The Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe: Master Edition (1990)
- 'Abomination to Batroc's Brigade'
The Sub-Mariner (1968)
#4 Web of Spider-Man (1985)
- 'Who Strikes For Atlantis?'#31
- 'Attuma Triumphant'#36
- 'What the Gods Have joined Together'#37
- 'The Way to Dusty Death'#38
- 'Namor Agonistes!'
West Coast Avengers (1985)
#35 What If? (1977)
- 'Tales to Astonish, Part Three: The Voice of Doom'
#41 What If...? (1989)
- 'What If...Destiny Had Not Destroyed Atlantis?'
#67 X-Factor (1986)
- 'What If Captain America Were Revived Today? Part 1: A Fighting Chance'#68
- 'What If Captain America Were Revived Today? Part 2: Liberty's Sword'
X-Nation 2099 (1996)
- 'A Turning Point in the Life of X-Nation as Atlantis Draws: First Blood!'
Video Game Appearances:
Marvel Ultimate Alliance (2006)
The Fantastic Four (1997)
Deep Six (Marvel)(02 - Attuma's team)
Famous Quotes: - Add a Famous Quote
< Previous Character | Next Character >
Add this character to a run of issues in a title
Suggest an image for this character
View the contribution history for this character