Search for 'Michael Akins' on Amazon
Michael Akins originally served the citizens of Gateway City as a police officer before relocating to Gotham City. As a member of the Gotham City Police Department, Akins achieved a sterling record and was eventually named as Commissioner James Gordon's replacement. Gordon retired after Gotham City was reopened in the wake of No Man's Land. The African American officer bravely endured all of Gotham's relentless problems, which gradually diminished optimistic Akins's belief in human nature. This was exacerbated when he asked Internal Affairs to investigate detective Harvey Bullock. At the time, Bullock was suspected of shooting a man who had tried to kill Gordon. Bullock retired from the force under a cloud of controversy, and Akins found himself mistrusted by the officers for going after one of their own.
Unlike Gordon, Akins disliked the reliance the G.C.P.D. placed on its costumed protector, Batman. The reticence began during his Gateway days, when Akins had first encountered a vigilante and had approved of his efforts until a hostage situation went bad, leaving both the vigilante and the kidnapped victim-a child-dead. However, constant exposure to the psychotic and costumed criminals preying on Gotham's citizens eventually made Akins recognize that there was a place for Batman and those like him.
That changed during the events known as War Games, when Batman usurped Akins's command and started issuing orders to Gotham's police forces. The officers charged into a volatile gunfight between criminal gangs, which resulted in heavy casualties among the uniforms. There was a major loss of trust on both sides, and Akins ordered the Bat-Signal removed from the G.C.PD.'s rooftop, declaring that all costumed vigilantes were to be considered in violation of the law.
Shortly after these events, Batman, Robin, and Nightwing left Gotham City for six months, and Akins subsequently tendered his resignation, clearing the way for Gordon to come out of retirement. Rumors of fresh police corruption had circulated, and there was speculation that Akins resigned under pressure, given that the rumors stretched all the way to the commissioner's office. Since his resignation, Akins has not been seen in Gotham.
First Appearance: Batman: Turning Points (2001) #5
View a chronological listing of this character's appearances
#593 Batman [BRA] (2002)
- 'Sanctuary, Part One of Two'#594
- 'Sanctuary, Part Two of Two'#601
- 'Bruce Wayne: Fugitive, Part Three: Turning the Town Red, Part One of Two'#602
- 'Turning the Town Red, Part Two of Two'#605
- 'Bruce Wayne: Fugitive, Part Eighteen: Courage'#633
- 'War Games, Act 3, Part 8 of 8: No Going Back'#643
- 'War Crimes, Part 2: Minor Discrepancies'
Batman [GER] (2001)
Batman Allies Secret Files and Origins 2005 (2005)
Batman Arkham: Clayface (2017)
TPB Batman War Drums (2004)
- 'Batman Arkham: Clayface'
TPB Batman: Bruce Wayne - Murderer? (2002)
- 'Batman: War Drums'
Batman: Bruce Wayne: Fugitive (2003)
Batman: City of Light (2003)
#7 Batman: Dark Detective (2005)
- 'Chapter Seven'#8
- 'Chapter Eight'
TPB Batman: Gotham Knights (2000)
- 'Dark Detective'#2
- 'You May See a Stranger'
#13#37#42#44#58 Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight (1989)
- 'War Games, Act 3, Part 5 of 8: Flight Risk'#61
- 'Human Nature, Book One'#63
- 'Human Nature, Book Three'#70
- 'The Shape of Things to Come, Part Three'#71
- 'The Shape of Things to Come, Part Four'
#183 Batman: Officer Down (2001)
- 'War Games: Act 2, Part 2 of 8: Philosophical Differences'#184
- 'War Games: Act 3, Part 2 of 8: The Road to Hell'#185
- 'Riddle Me That, Part One'
Batman: Orpheus Rising (2001)
Batman: Our Worlds at War (2001)
Batman: Tales of the Man-Bat (2018)
TPB Batman: Turning Points (2001)
- 'Batman: Tales of the Man-Bat'
TPB Batman: War Crimes (2006)
- 'Turning Points'#5
- 'Old as the Stars'
Batman: War Games (2005)
Batman: War Games (2015)
Birds of Prey (1999)
#27 Catwoman (1993)
- 'Officer Down, Part 3: Armed and Dangerous'
#35 DC Comics Presents: Batman (2010)
- 'War Games, Act 2, Part 7 of 8: Betrayal'#36
- 'War Games, Act 3, Part 7 of 8: Multiple Fronts'#49
- 'The One You Love, conclusion'
Detective Comics (1937)
Gotham Central (2003)
#1 Joker: Last Laugh (2001)
- 'In The Line of Duty 1'#2
- 'In The Line Of Duty 2'#12
- 'Soft Targets Part One of Four'#13
- 'Soft Targets Part Two of Four'#14
- 'Soft Targets Part Three of Four'#15
- 'Soft Targets Part Four of Four'#19
- 'Unresolved Part One'#25
- 'Lights Out'#26
- 'On The Freak Beat Part One of Two'#30
- 'Keystone Kops Part Three'#33
- 'Dead Robin Part One '#35
- 'Dead Robin Part Three Of Four'#36
- 'Dead Robin Conclusion'
#6 Legends of the Dark Knight: Marshall Rogers (2011)
- 'Joker: Last Laugh, Part Six: You Only Laugh Twice'
HC Man-Bat (2006)
- 'Legends of the Dark Knight: Marshall Rogers'
#2 Robin (1993)
- 'Man-Bat: The Return, Part Two'
- 'Officer Down, Part 2: Behind the Lines'
G.C.P.D. (DC)(Post Crisis)
Gateway City Police Department
Famous Quotes: - Add a Famous Quote
< Previous Character | Next Character >
Add this character to a run of issues in a title
Suggest an image for this character
View the contribution history for this character