Search for 'Maxima (DC)' on Amazon
As a scion of the Blood Royale of Almerac, Maxima commands a vast array of powers that come from years of selective breeding and gene therapy. In her first face to face encounter with Superman in Action Comics #651 she displayed incredible and immense psionic powers.
Maxima has a high, unidentified, level of invulnerability and possesses super-speed as seen in Action Comics #651. Though based on selective gene breeding, the true source of her powers are not known, leading many fans to believe she just has the right blend of psionic powers, strength, fighting skills, and alien tactical knowledge to have Superman's number.
Maxima is hot-headed and tends to make snap-judgments without considering the consequences of her actions. A perfect example of this can be seen when she tears down a light pole in the middle of a gasoline-soaked conflict with Doomsday, causing an enormous explosion that knocks herself and Superman unconscious.
Oldest child of the Royal family of the planet Almerac, the fiery-tempered Maxima came to Earth in search of a suitable mate, leaving behind Ultraa her betrothed. She and Superman are genetically compatible; she could give him what no Earth woman could - children. She was infuriated when Superman rejected her offer, saying he had no desire to father despots (Action Comics #652).
Maxima later found herself reluctantly working with Brainiac who had destroyed Almerac with the WarWorld. She turned against him, and helped Earth's heroes defeat him, subsequently joining a reformed Justice League for her own reasons after the League saved Almerac from Starbreaker. As a Leaguer, she helped in the fight against Doomsday, and when that version of the League disbanded, she became a member of Captain Atom's Extreme Justice. She considered both Captain Atom and Amazing Man as potential mates, but neither were interested. During the period of her flirtation with Captain Atom, an angry jilted Ultraa attacked him, Maxima eventually stopped the brawl and sent Ultraa back to Almerac.
She offered herself to Superman again, hoping that her recent good deeds would offset her earlier ruthlessness. (Superman: The Wedding Album, Man of Tomorrow #7) Superman, now married to Lois Lane, was even less interested in her proposal than before. Angry and humiliated, she joined the Superman Revenge Squad. She swore that Superman had rejected, humbled and humiliated her for the last time, and threatened that the next they met, it would truly be war (Man of Tomorrow #10).
However, in her next appearance, during the build up to the Our Worlds At War crossover, Maxima and the 'Chosen People of Almerac', as she phrased it, showed up in Earth's solar system where they met up with Superman and fellow JLA member, Green Lantern. Superman and Green Lantern were just beginning to investigate the disturbing disappearance of Pluto and the even more distressing engine ion trail associated with Warworld, when they stumbled across Maxima, her people, and the super-villain Massacre.
After a battle full of wounded pride, Maxima eventually conceded her position when Almerac's rendezvous showed up using a Boom Tube. She explained that she was leading her people to safety from Imperiex, the force that conquered her world. Massacre had seemed to meet his death back in Superman #106, however somehow Maxima came across him and described her association in these words, "Massacre serves only me now". To save her people she allied herself with Darkseid's son, Grayven, who was taking them to regions unknown. This was also being undertaken without the knowledge of Darkseid. Maxima left Superman with these words: "Mark my words, when Imperiex comes for your precious home world, you'll see alliances you've never dreamed of."
All that Maxima warned eventually came to fruition as she and a myriad of other characters (both heroes and villains) formed alliances with Earth and Apokolips in an effort to destroy Imperiex (Man of Steel # 115).
Maxima ultimately met her demise in an heroic effort to put her ship between the destructive beams of Brainiac 13's Warworld which would have resulted in the destruction of the entire universe (Man of Steel #117). However, it has been theorized that Maxima did not die, but one of her duplicate simulacrums, as seen in Extreme Justice #10.
History and Power description from Wiki page.
Maxima was created by Roger Stern and George Pérez.
First Appearance: Action Comics (1938) #645
Maxima (DC) is a favorite character of 7 users
View a chronological listing of this character's appearances
Action Comics (1938)
#645 Adventures of Superman (1987)
- 'My Lady Maxima!'#650
- 'Not of This Earth'#652
- 'Wayward Son'#674
- 'The Past Is Prologue'#675
- 'Divide and Conquer'#684
- '...Doomsday is Near!'#690
- 'Lies & Revelations'#730
- 'The Precedent of the United Hates'#781
- 'Thousand Yard Stare'
Annual 03 Aquaman (1994)
- 'Beyond the Reach of Time'Annual 04
- 'In Blackest Night'#488
- 'Counter Strike!'#489
- 'Panic in the Sky Epilogue: Hail the Conquering Heroes'#497
- 'Under Fire'#522
- 'City of Hope'#543
- 'The Honeymoon's Over'
#40 Avengers/JLA (2003)
- 'Doctor in the House'#41
#4 Bloodbath (1993)
- 'The Brave...and the Bold'
DC Comics Presents: Superman: Lois & Clark 100-Page Super Spectacular (2016)
DCU: Legacies (2010)
#49 Eclipso (1992)
- 'All the Kings Men'
Eclipso: The Darkness Within (1992)
#2 Extreme Justice (1995)
- 'Eclipso: The Darkness Within, The Conclusion: Brilliant Men'
#0 Final Night (1996)
- 'With a Bang'#1
- 'Mad Dogs and Superheroes'#2
- 'High Stakes'#3
- 'Extreme Reaction'#4
- 'The Brave and the Crazy'#5
- 'Atomic Nights'#6
- 'The Once and Future Monarch'#8
- 'Before You Quantum Leap!'#9
- 'Sapphire Blues'#11
- 'Creation for Two'#12
- 'Kings Healing'#13
- 'King's Heeling'#14
- 'Kings' Revealed and King's Revealing'#15
- 'Duel of Duals'#16
- '--So Now What Do We Do?'#17
- 'Live Evil'#18
- 'Deathmatch Doom'
Green Lantern (1990)
#69 Guy Gardner (1992)
- 'Out of Our Heads: Part Two'
#15 Guy Gardner: Warrior (1994)
- 'Collateral Damage'
#33 Hawkman (1993)
- 'The Way of the Warrior, Part 4: Into the Valley of Death'#39
- 'Merriment, Mistletoe, and...Mayhem!'
#22 JLA Gallery (1997)
- 'The Way of the Warrior, Part 3: Storm Over Thanagar'
#3 JLA: Incarnations (2001)
- 'Martian Manhunter to Zatanna'
JLA: Our Worlds at War (2001)
#1 Justice League America (1989)
- 'A Date Which Will Live In Infamy'
Annual 06 Justice League Europe (1989)
- 'Maximum Eclipse'Annual 07
- 'Only The Lucky Ones Die!'Annual 10
- 'The Alliance'#61
- 'Born Once Again'#62
- 'Almerac or Bust!'#64
- 'The Revenge of Starbreaker'#65
- 'Of Ashes and Justice'#66
- 'Together Again'#67
- 'Transitions, Transmissions and Transactions'#68
- 'Actions, Admissions & Acquisitions'#69
- 'Down for the Count'#70
- 'New Look'#73
- 'Destiny's Hand, Part II'#74
- 'Destiny's Hand, Part III'#75
- 'Destiny's Hand, Finale'#78
- 'Lives in the Balance'#79
- 'Extreme Measures'#80
- 'Running From Justice'#81
- 'Do The Right Thing'#82
- 'Guilty as Sin'#83
- 'The Trouble with Guys'#84
- 'Absolute Power'#85
- 'They Might Be Giants'#86
- 'Cult of the Machine, Part 1: Where The Day Takes You'#87
- 'Cult of the Machine, Part 2: God In The Machine'#88
- 'Cult of the Machine, Part 3: Rage Against The Machine!'#89
- 'Shadow of Death'#91
- 'Heroes Passage'#96
- 'Rush to Judgement'#100
- 'Opening Up the Game'#101
- 'The Way of the Warrior, Part 2: Pressure Cooker'#102
- 'The Way of the Warrior, Part 5: Breakout! '#112
- 'The Purge, Part 2: To Say Goodbye'#113
- 'The Purge, Part 3: To All Our Company'
Annual 03 Justice League International (1993)
- 'Eclipso Over London'#49
- 'Red Winter, Part 5: Hard Ground'#50
- 'Red Winter, Part 6: The Ice Breaks'
#65 Justice League Quarterly (1990)
- 'Judgement Day, Part 3: A Whole New Ballgame'#66
- 'Judgement Day, Part 6: All Out of Time'
Justice League Task Force (1993)
#7 Martian Manhunter Special (1996)
- 'Valley Of The Daals!'#8
- 'How Green Was My Daalie?'#13
- 'Judgement Day, Part 2: Split Decision'#14
- 'Judgement Day, Part 5: The Longest Yard'#15
- 'Silver Ages'#37
Sins of Youth Secret Files (2000)
Sins of Youth: Superman, Jr. & Superboy, Sr. (2000)
#1 Sins of Youth: The Secret & Deadboy (2000)
- 'The Adventures of Superboy... When He Was a Man!'
#1 Steel (1994)
- 'Looking for Trouble...'
#11 Superman (1939)
- 'Fire Power'#12
- 'The Great Escape'
#666 Superman (1987)
- 'The Beast From Krypton'
#65 Superman & The Justice League America (2016)
- 'Head Man'#66
- 'Our Army at War'#74
- 'Countdown to Doomsday!'#76
- 'Metropolis Mailbag II'#83
- 'On the Edge'#159
Superman 80-Page Giant (1999)
Superman Forever (1998)
Superman Villains Secret Files (1998)
Superman: Our Worlds at War Secret Files (2001)
Superman: The Man of Steel (1991)
#9 Superman: The Man of Tomorrow (1995)
- 'Power Breakfast'#10
- 'Tidal Wave!'#20
- 'Funeral Day'#65
- 'Metropolitan Rapture'#116
- 'Chest Deep In Heroes' Blood'#117
- 'Total Abandon- Chapter 1: Things Fall Apart'
#7 Superman: The Wedding Album (1996)
- 'Hero or Villain?'#10
- 'Who Do You Love?'
#41 Superman/Doomsday: Hunter/Prey (1994)
- 'Torment, Part 5: Purgatory'
The DC Comics Encyclopedia (2004)
HC The Death and Return of Superman Omnibus (2007)
- 'The DC Comics Encyclopedia: Updated And Expanded'HC
- 'The DC Comics Encyclopedia'
The Death of Superman (2015)
HC The Flash (1987)
- 'Warner Home Video Edition'
#92 The Ray (1994)
- 'Reckless Youth, Chapter 1: Speed Kills'#119
- 'Pray for the Dawn'
Total Justice (1996)
Underworld Unleashed (1995)
#2 Valor (1992)
- 'The Devil to Pay'#3
- 'Seduction of the Innocent'
#14 Who's Who in the DC Universe (1990)
- 'D.O.A. Part Three: Yesterday's Hero...'
#2 Young Justice (2000)
- 'Booster Gold to Starman'
#9 Young Justice: Sins of Youth (2000)
- 'Sünden der Jugend 3'
#2 Zero Hour: Crisis in Time (1994)
- 'The Stunning Conclusion'
Justice League America (DC)
Justice League Task Force (DC)
Superman Revenge Squad (Post-Crisis)
Famous Quotes: - Add a Famous Quote
"Your motives are unclear as yet...but if it is battle you crave, I, Maxima, am pleased to oblige!"
< Previous Character | Next Character >
Add this character to a run of issues in a title
Suggest an image for this character
View the contribution history for this character