Search for 'Ivana Baiul' on Amazon
Ivana is a cyborg who has replaced much, if not all of her body with synthetic parts. The extent and degree of her cybernetic modification is unknown. Her cybernetic parts give her superhuman strength, speed, and stamina. In Stormwatch: Team Achilles, it was revealed that she no longer stores her brain or consciousness in her head, and cannot be killed by a shot which penetrates her skull.
Aside from these abilities, Ivana's body appears to perfectly mimic a human body in every way. She has no trouble passing for human, and has maintained sexual affairs with some of her subordinates.
Ivana Baiul was the head of Sci-Tech, the scientific division of I.O. There she worked on creating a group of genetically enhanced soldiers for the government, a task previously done 12 times with almost all failures. Determined to do it right, Ivana targeted the children of Gen 12, the last group of genetically manipulated soldiers, believing they would be pre-conditioned to handle the process better.
Her first recruits, dubbed Bliss and Threshold, were taken after Ivana's men killed their parents. Similar techniques were used to gather the rest, many of whom were put into suspended animation, for later use. However some of her targets escaped, aided by John Lynch, and formed the group Genął for mutual protection. The members of Genął later broke into Ivana's base, forcing Ivana to flee with some of her creations, Bliss and Threshold included.
Ivana went to New York, where she awoke her frozen troops, now dubbed DV8, in preparation for a coming confrontation with Genął. In the meantime she got her kicks by indulging her curiosity as to how her psychologically scarred operatives would interact with the real world.
After many missions with DV8 outside of government sanction, she was able to blackmail her way back into I.O., gaining the post of the Executive Director. She remained in that position until the combination of fallout from the Divine Right incident and DV8's rebellion forced her out of her position. Two years later, she would turn up in charge of Civil Defense Administration, an organization created as a de-facto replacement of I.O. Following the Authority's takeover of United States, she wound up in the Project Entry universe.
After Worldstorm, Ivana was working for the US government in some capacity once again. In light of the apparent reboot of Genął, her current status, as well the precise details of her history have become uncertain.
First Appearance: Gen13 (1994) #1
View a chronological listing of this character's appearances
TPB Divine Intervention/Gen13 (1999)
- 'And Then You Live!'#1
- 'And Then You Live!: Part One'#2
- 'And Then You Live!: Part Two'#4
- 'And Then You Live!: Part Four'#5
- 'And Then You Live!: Part Five'#6
- 'And Then You Live!: Part Six'#7
- 'And Then You Live!: Part Seven'#8
- 'And Then You Live!: Part Eight'#9
- 'And Then You Live!'
Divine Intervention/WildCats (1999)
Divine Right (1997)
TPB vol. 02#8 DV8 (1996)
- 'Into the Hollow Realm, Part One'#9
- 'Into the Hollow Realm, Part Two: The Fall of the Hollow Realm'
Annual 01 DV8 Vs. Black Ops (1997)
- 'Head Trips'Collector's PackTPB vol. 01
- 'Neighborhood Threat'#0
- 'Beautiful Lies'#1
- 'Lust For Life'#1 (Gluttony)
- 'Lust For Life'#2
- 'Some Weird Sin'#4
- 'Miss Drugstore'#7
- 'Paranoid Conspiracies'#10
- 'In Service To Nothing'#11
- 'Marriage of Convenience'#13
- 'The Sad Tale of Senator Killory'#14
- 'Barely Legal'#15
- 'Settling Accounts'#16
- 'Lounging In The Ammo Dump'#23
- 'Gone To Ground'#26
- 'Lost and Found'#27#28#30
- 'Things Fall Apart, Part 1: Forgotten But Not Gone'#31
- 'Things Fall Apart, Part 2: Trust'#32
- 'Things Fall Apart, Part 3: Reverse Engineering'
#2 Fire From Heaven (1996)
- 'The Techtromis Design Part 2'
#1 Gamorra Swimsuit Special (1996)
- 'Chapter One: Gamorra Rising'
#6 Gen13 Bootleg (1996)
- 'Roman Holiday'#7
- 'Veni, Vidi, Vici'#8
- 'Bewitched, Bothered and Bewildered'#9
- 'Hearts and Minds'#10
- 'Rumble in Gamorra'#11
- 'Swim Out Past the Breakers, Watch the World Die'#25
- 'Where Angels Fear to Tread'#34
- 'Overture'#34 (Variant)
- 'That Was Then'#36 (Variant)
- 'That Was Then'#38
- 'Getting Better Even Worse'#38 (Variant)
- 'Getting Better Even Worse'#39
- 'Death and the Broken Promise, Part One'#41
- 'Death and the Broken Promise, Part Three'#56
- 'Schrodinger's Wankerboy'
Gen13: Ordinary Heroes (1996)
Hero Illustrated Special Edition (1993)
Savant Garde (1997)
Stormwatch: Team Achilles (2002)
#1 Wetworks (1994)
- 'The Big Dance'#10
- 'Weddings & Funerals'#12
- 'Flock Together'#22
- 'Planting Roots'
#41 Wetworks (2006)
- 'Drawn Swords, Conclusion'
#12 Wild Times: DV8 (1999)
- 'Unholy War, Part One'
Wildstorm Universe Sourcebook (1995)
International Operations (I.O.)
Famous Quotes: - Add a Famous Quote
< Previous Character | Next Character >
Add this character to a run of issues in a title
Suggest an image for this character
View the contribution history for this character