When Mark Irwin attended his first San Diego Comic-Con as a 12-year-old, he knew he would be back.
But he had no idea he would come back as an artist autographing some of the same comic book series he admired.
Irwin stuck to his dream of becoming a comic book artist. Working out of his Solana Beach home, Irwin has left his creative mark on hundreds of popular characters, including Batman, Spider-Man, the Hulk, the X-Men, Aliens and the Justice League of America.
For the past two decades, he has freelanced for big companies, including Marvel, Dark Horse and DC Comics, while holding day jobs at Upper Deck Entertainment, Wildstorm and Heavy Metal magazine.
Now Irwin is putting his creativity to the test in a different way. He is creating his own young adult series, called “Jack Secret,” which he plans to reveal in a sneak preview in July at Comic-Con International.
“The story is about a boy’s journey from being nothing to becoming a hero,” Irwin said. “It’s like ‘Jonny Quest’ and ‘Harry Potter’ with adventure and magic.”
Los Angeles-based comic book artist Dan Panosian, a colleague of Irwin’s, is illustrating the series. The work has already prompted interest from Hollywood producers.
The reason Irwin started “Jack Secret” is simple: “I love to create.”
That urge made Irwin stick to his dream of becoming an artist. Although his parents wanted him to go to business school, Irwin held out. Eventually, he attended The Joe Kubert School of Cartoon and Graphic Art in New Jersey. “He knew what he wanted to do and never lost focus,” said his wife, Amber Irwin.
Even before Irwin graduated, he landed his first freelance job as an inker with Marvel Comics in the early 1990s. Inking involves taking the penciled sketches and turning them into final art with depth and dimension.
“Comic artists draw all kinds of stuff — not just superheroes, but regular people and everything from streetcars and fire hydrants to spaceships, all at the drop of the hat to make deadline,” Irwin said.
Each artist has his or her own style.
“There’s a flourish in a brush line that is much like a signature,” Panosian said. “I am a firm believer that you see a bit of the artist in their work, and Mark’s ability to transfer his love for the medium sets him apart from his contemporaries.”
Irwin’s dedication sometimes keeps him working all night drawing a comic by hand.
“He’s one of the hardest-working people I’ve met, and he has a unique creative vision,” said Ted Adams, CEO of San Diego-based IDW Publishing.
One of Irwin’s proudest accomplishments was working with comic book artist Zach Howard on an “Aliens” miniseries for Dark Horse Comics.
“Great illustrating and great storytelling are what make comic books amazing,” Irwin said. “People don’t think of comics as high art, but I do.”
Referring to the millennia-old pictographs in caves, Irwin pointed out that comic art is the oldest form of visual storytelling. “I think it’s even more exciting than the sculptures in front of City Hall.”
Of course, Irwin is careful to draw the line there, because his wife is known for her sculpture “The Sunburst of Color” at the Coastal Rail Trail next to Highway 101 in Solana Beach.
“There are hundreds of comic book artists, but each has his own storytelling methodology,” Mark Irwin said.
When Irwin is signing his comics at the Comic-Con, young artists often ask for advice. “I say, ‘Believe in your vision, but continue to learn and try to improve.’ ”
Linda McIntosh is a freelance writer from San Diego.
Date of Birth:
San Diego, CA
Website: http://www.jack-secret.com/E-mail: email@example.comDeviantArt: http://geddlee.deviantart.com/ Favorite Creators:
Mark John Irwin is a favorite creator of 2 users
Alan Moore: Wild Worlds (2007)
TPB Alan Moore's The Complete WildC.A.T.s (2007)
- 'Alan Moore: Wild Worlds'
TPB Aliens (2009)
Amazing Spider-Man Family (2008)
- 'Alan Moore's The Complete WildC.A.T.s'
HC The Amazing Spider-Man (1963)
Aquaman and the Others: Futures End (2014)
The Authority (1999)
- 'Spider-Man: Family Ties'TPB
- 'Spider-Man: Family Ties'#3#8
HC Avengers (2011)
- 'Avengers: Fear Itself'TPB
- 'Fear Itself'#15
#12 Avengers vs. Atlas (2010)
Batgirl [GER] (2012)
- 'Fear Itself - Nackte Angst'
#3 Batman (1940)
Batman [GER] (2007)
Batman and Robin (2011)
Batman und Robin (2012)
Batman: Night of the Owls (2013)
- 'Die Braut des Joker'
HC Big Bruisers (1996)
Blue Beetle (2011)
Booster Gold: Futures End (2014)
Brightest Day (2010)
Brightest Day (2011)
- 'Batman: Night of the Owls'TPB
- 'Batman: Night of the Owls'
#1 C-23 (1998)
Captain America (1996)
- 'Carpe Diem'#2
- 'Das Geheimnis des Lebens'#4
- 'White Lantern Batman'#6
TPB Captain America (1999)
- 'Heroes Reborn: Captain America'#10
- 'Serpents & Eagles, Part 3: Capital Punishment'
#10 Complete Wynonna Earp (2005)
Countdown Presents: Lord Havok & the Extremists (2007)
- 'Schlangen und Adler: Zu spät'
TPB Crimson (1998)
Crimson Sourcebook (1999)
Dark Reign: The Sinister Spider-Man (2009)
- 'Countdown Presents: Lord Havok and the Extremists'#5
- 'Part Five: Man of Peace. Man of War.'
TPB#4 Darkchylde Summer Swimsuit Spectacular (1999)
DC Universe by Alan Moore (2012)
Devil Dinosaur Spring Fling (1997)
Die Fantastischen Vier (1999)
Divine Right (1997)
- 'What the ☠☠☠☠ is this ☠☠☠☠ All About?!'
TPB DV8 (1996)
DV8 Rave (1996)
Eternal War (2001)
Fantastic Four (1996)
Fire From Heaven (1996)
- 'Divine Right: The Adventures Of Max Faraday'TPB vol. 02#9
- 'Into the Hollow Realm, Part Two: The Fall of the Hollow Realm'
#1 Free Comic Book Day: Aliens/Predator (2009)
Future Cop: L.A.P.D. (1998)
Gamorra Swimsuit Special (1996)
Gen13 Bikini Pin-Up Special (1997)
Gen13 Yearbook '97 (1997)
- 'Chapter One: Gamorra Rising'
#1 Green Lantern (2005)
- 'Superheroes at Large'
HC vol. 07 Green Lantern (2011)
- 'Blackest Night'HC vol. 08
- 'Brightest Day'TPB vol. 07
- 'Blackest Night'TPB vol. 08
- 'Brightest Day'#47
- 'To Hell And Back'#47 (Benes Variant)
- 'To Hell And Back'#50
- 'Parallax: Rebirth'#50 (Lee Variant)
- 'Parallax Rebirth'#50 (Sketch Variant)
- 'Parallax Rebirth'#53
- 'The New Guardians, Chapter One'#53 (Sook Variant)
- 'The New Guardians Chapter One'#61
- 'Seeing Red'#61 (Garner Variant)
- 'Seeing Red'#64
- 'War of the Green Lanterns, Part One'#64 (2nd Printing Variant)
- 'War of the Green Lanterns, Part One'#64 (Kirkham Variant)
- 'War of the Green Lanterns, Part One'#65
- 'War of the Green Lanterns, Part Four'#65 (Pérez Variant)
- 'War of the Green Lanterns, Part Four'#66
- 'War of the Green Lanterns, Part Seven'#66 (Crain Variant)
- 'War of the Green Lanterns, Part Seven'#67
- 'War of the Green Lanterns, Conclusion'#67 (J.G. Jones Variant)
- 'War of the Green Lanterns, Conclusion'
Annual 03 Green Lantern (2012)
Green Lantern [ESP] (2012)
Green Lantern Corps (2006)
Green Lantern Special (2014)
- 'Godhead Finale: Fall of the Gods'HC vol. 01
- 'Sinestro'TPB vol. 01
- 'The New Normal'#0 (Combo-Pack)
- 'The New Normal'#0 (Sketch Variant)
- 'The New Normal'#3
- 'Sinestro, Part Three'#3 (Mahnke Sketch Variant)
- 'Sinestro, Part Three'#3 (Van Sciver Variant)
- 'Sinestro, Part Three'#5
- 'Sinestro, Part Five'#5 (Choi Variant)
- 'Sinestro, Part Five'#5 (Mahnke Sketch Variant)
- 'Sinestro, Part Five'#5 (Newsstand Edition)
- 'Sinestro, Part Five'#7
- 'The Secret of the Indigo Tribe, Part One'#7 (Churchill Variant)
- 'The Secret of the Indigo Tribe Part One'#7 (Mahnke Sketch Variant)
- 'The Secret of the Indigo Tribe Part One'#8
- 'The Secret of the Indigo Tribe, Part Two'#8 (Combo-Pack)
- 'The Secret of the Indigo Tribe Part Two'#8 (Keown Variant)
- 'The Secret of the Indigo Tribe Part Two'#8 (Mahnke Sketch Variant)
- 'The Secret of the Indigo Tribe Part Two'#9
- 'The Secret of the Indigo Tribe, Part Three'#9 (Combo-Pack)
- 'The Secret of the Indigo Tribe Part Three'#9 (Frank Variant)
- 'The Secret of the Indigo Tribe Part Three'#9 (Mahnke Sketch Variant)
- 'The Secret of the Indigo Tribe Part Three'#10
- 'The Secret of the Indigo Tribe, Conclusion'#10 (Combo-Pack)
- 'The Secret of the Indigo Tribe Conclusion'#10 (Mahnke Sketch Variant)
- 'The Secret of the Indigo Tribe Conclusion'#11
- 'The Revenge of Black Hand Part 1'#11 (Combo-Pack)
- 'The Revenge of Black Hand Part 1'#11 (Mahnke Sketch Variant)
- 'The Revenge of Black Hand Part 1'#13
- 'Actions and Reactions'#13 (Blank Variant)
- 'Actions and Reactions'#13 (Combo-Pack)
- 'Actions and Reactions'#13 (Reis Sketch Variant)
- 'Actions and Reactions'#14
- 'Courage'#14 (Combo-Pack)
- 'Courage'#14 (Mahnke Sketch Variant)
- 'Innocent Lives'#15 (Combo-Pack)
- 'Innocent Lives'#15 (Mahnke Sketch Variant)
- 'Innocent Lives'#16
- 'Trial By Fire'#16 (Combo-Pack)
- 'Trial By Fire'#16 (Mahnke Sketch Variant)
- 'Trial By Fire'#17
- 'Wrath of the First Lantern Part One: The Puppeteer'#17 (Black And White Variant)
- 'Wrath of the First Lantern Part One: The Puppeteer'#17 (Combo-Pack)
- 'Wrath of the First Lantern Part One: The Puppeteer'#18
- 'Wrath of the First Lantern Part Five: Dead or Alive, You're Coming With Me!'#18 (Combo-Pack)
- 'Wrath of the First Lantern Part Five: Dead or Alive, You're Coming With Me!'#18 (Frank Sketch Variant)
- 'Wrath of the First Lantern Part Five: Dead or Alive, You're Coming With Me!'#19
- 'Wrath Of The First Lantern Part Nine'#19 (Black And White Variant)
- 'Wrath of the First Lantern Part Nine'#19 (Combo-Pack)
- 'Wrath of the First Lantern Part Nine'#19 (MAD Variant)
- 'Wrath of the First Lantern Part Nine'#20
- 'The End'#20 (Black And White Variant)
- 'The End'#20 (Combo-Pack)
- 'The End'#35
- 'Godhead, Act I, Part II: Dead Worlds'#35 (Combo-Pack)
- 'Godhead, Act I, Part II: Dead Worlds'#35 (Monsters Variant)
- 'Godhead, Act I, Part II: Dead Worlds'#39
- 'Ripple Effect'#39 (Combo-Pack)
- 'Ripple Effect'#39 (Harley Quinn Variant)
- 'Ripple Effect'
#1 Green Lantern: Rise of the Third Army (2012)
Green Lantern: The Wrath of the First Lantern (2014)
- 'Das Geheimniss der Ersten Lantern'
HCTPB Green Lantern: War of the Green Lanterns (2011)
Hellboy, B.U.A.P. & Aliens (2010)
Heroic Age: One Month To Live (2010)
House of M: Spider-Man, Fantastic Four & X-Men (2009)
- 'The Wrath of the First Lantern'
HC Hulk: Broken Worlds (2009)
The Hypernaturals Free Comic Book Day Edition (2012)
The Hypernaturals (2012)
The Incredible Hulk (1968)
- 'House of M: Spider-Man, Fantastic Four & X-Men'
#1 The Joker: Death of the Family (2013)
- 'A Small Corner of Hell'#1 (John Cassaday Variant)
- 'A Small Corner of Hell'#2
- 'A Small Corner of Hell, Part Two: Shades & Shadows'#3
- 'A Small Corner of Hell, Part Three: An Angel in Disguise'#4
- 'A Small Corner of Hell, Part IV - Séance & Sensibility'#5
- 'A Small Corner of Hell, Part Five: Someone to Watch Over Me'
HC Justice League (2011)
Justice League (2012)
Justice League Dark (2011)
Justice League of America (2006)
- 'The Joker: Death of the Family'
#18 Justice League of America's Vibe (2013)
- 'Sanctuary, Part 2'
#7 Legion Lost (2011)
- 'We Band of Brothers'#8
- 'Other Worlds Than These'
#15 Magnus, Robot Fighter (2010)
- 'Heroes Die!'#16
- 'Last Stand!'
TPB vol. 01 Marvel Digital Holiday Special (2008)
Marvel Holiday Spectacular Magazine (2009)
Mighty Samson (2010)
- 'Magnus, Robot Fighter Volume 1'#4
- 'Metal Mob Part Four: Dangerous Game'
#4 Mostly Wanted (2000)
- 'Judgement Part Four: Won for the Devil'
#2 Mr. Majestic (1999)
- 'One In The Hand'#3
- 'Whatsoever you do to the least of my brothers'#4
- 'Comrade In Arms...'
TPB Ms. Marvel (2006)
The Multiversity: Mastermen (2015)
The New 52: Futures End FCBD Special Edition (2014)
The New 52: Futures End (2014)
New Suicide Squad (2014)
The Official Handbook of the Invincible Universe (2006)
- 'Mr. Majestic'#5
#2 Original Sin Companion (2015)
- 'From Kursk to Winslow B. N.'
#8 Red Lanterns (2011)
Resident Evil (1998)
- 'Tower Bridge is Falling Down'#9
- 'Judgement Day: Part 1'
#1 Resurrection Man (2011)
Shattered Image (1996)
- 'S.T.A.R.S. Files'#2
- 'A New Chapter of Evil'#3
- 'Wolf Hunt'#4
- 'Night Stalkers'#5
- 'And The Last Shall Be First'
#2 Siege (1997)
- 'Part 2 of 4'#4
- 'Part 4 of 4'
#4 Spawn: Movie Adaptation (1997)
- 'Part 4 of 4: Inferno'
#56 Spider-Man & Araña Special: The Hunter Revealed (2006)
- 'Der letzte namenlose Tag'
#1 Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: N-Vector (2000)
- 'The Hunter Revealed'
#1 Star Trek: Other Realities (2001)
Star Wars (1999)
- 'N-Vector (Chapter 1)'#2
- 'N-Vector (Chapter 2)'#3
- 'N-Vector (Chapter 3)'#4
- 'N-Vector (Chapter 4)'
#109 Star Wars: Darth Vader and the Ninth Assassin (2013)
- 'Darth Vader und der neunte Attentäter (Teil 1)'
#10 Superboy [II] (2011)
- 'Digging Up The Past'
#26 Superman/Wonder Woman (2013)
Sword of Damocles (1996)
- 'To Hell and Back'#27
- 'Mind Games'#28
- 'Lost Souls'#29
- 'Homeward Bound'
#1 Team 7: Dead Reckoning (1996)
- 'Fire From Heaven Prelude 1'
#4 Uncanny X-Men (1963)
- 'Part Four: The Fifth Corner of the World'
The New Age vol. 5 Uncanny X-Men (2013)
Venom/Deadpool: What If? (2011)
- 'First Foursaken'#464
- 'Season of the Witch, Part 3 of 4: To Die For'#465
- 'Season of the Witch, Part 4 of 4: Chaos Rules'#472
- 'The First Foursaken, Part 1 of 3: Pulling Strings'
#1 Voodoo (1997)
- 'What If Venom Possessed Deadpool?'
TPB Wetworks (1994)
What If? Iron Man: Demon in an Armor (2011)
- 'Dancing in the Dark'#2
- 'Chapter Two: Erzulie'
#1 What If? Wolverine: Father (2011)
Wild Times: WildC.A.T.s (1999)
WildC.A.T.s: Covert Action Teams (1992)
WildC.A.T.s/X-Men: The Silver Age (1997)
Wildcats: Ladytron (2000)
- 'What if Tony Stark had Become Doctor Doom?'
#1 Wildcore (1997)
Wildstorm Swimsuit Special (1994)
Wildstorm Thunderbook (2000)
Wildstorm Universe 97 (1996)
Wolverine & The X-Men (2011)
World of Warcraft (2007)
World War Hulks (2010)
Wynonna Earp (1996)
- 'Wildcats: Ladytron'
#1 X-Men (1991)
- 'Red Necks, White Corpuscles and Blue Ribbon Beer'#2
- 'The Bloody Badge of the Law'#3
- 'Death Sucks'#4
- 'Refried Dead'#5
- 'Wrap Party'
HC X-Men (2001)
- 'Supernovas: Chapter 2'#192
- 'Supernovas: Chapter 5'#193
- 'Supernovas: Chapter 6'
#67 X-Men: Age of Apocalypse (2005)
- 'Wildes Königreich'#68
- 'Im Zeichen der Hexe'#75
- 'Die Verachteten'#80
- 'Civil War: X-Men'#81
TPB X-Men: Battle of the Atom (2013)
- 'The New Age of Apocalypse'#3
HCTPB#2 X-Men: Curse of the Mutants - Storm & Gambit (2010)
X-Men: Curse of the Mutants - X-Men Vs. Vampires (2010)
- 'Battle of the Atom Part 10'