Mark Chiarello is a painter, art director and editor in the comics business. As a painter, he has worked on such projects as the Batman story Batman/Houdini: The Devil's Workshop (with writers Howard Chaykin and John Francis Moore) and Clive Barker's Hellraiser. He was also the first colorist on Mike Mignola's creator owned comic book, Hellboy (on Seed of Destruction).
As an editor for DC Comics, he co-created the critically acclaimed Batman: Black & White mini-series (for which he received an Eisner Award in 1997 and again in 2003) and the current Solo series. Previously, Chiarello worked in animation and was a long time assistant to Archie Goodwin.
Recently, Chiarello's work was seen in Star Wars: The New Essential Chronology alongside artists Tommy Lee Edwards and John Van Fleet. He also co-authored the book The DC Comics Guide to Coloring and Lettering Comics with Eisner Award winning letterer, Todd Klein. He also drew a Samurai Jack story for DC's Cartoon Network Action Pack #1.
His work has also earned him the 1993 National Cartoonists Society Award for Best Comic Book.
Date of Birth:
October 31, 1960
Website: http://www.markchiarello.comBlog: http://www.markchiarello.blogspot.com Favorite Creators:
Mark Chiarello is a favorite creator of 2 usersAwards:
- 1997 Will Eisner Comic Industry Awards - Nominee - Best Cover Artist: (for Terminal City [DC/Vertigo])
- 1997 Will Eisner Comic Industry Awards - Nominee - Best Editor: (for Batman: Black and White [DC])
Animal Man (1988)
#72 Batgirl (2000)
- 'Last Supper'#73
- 'Children And Animals'
#65 Batman [GER] (1989)
Batman Adventures (1995)
Batman: Dark Victory (1999)
- 'A Mother of a Father's Day'
#1 Batman: Featuring Two-Face and The Riddler (1995)
TPB Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight Special (2010)
Batman/Houdini: The Devil's Workshop (1993)
- 'Batman: Featuring Two-Face and The Riddler'
OGN SC Challengers of the Unknown (1991)
- 'The Devil's Workshop'
TPB Clive Barker's Hellraiser: Posterbook (1991)
The Compleat Terminal City (2012)
- 'Challengers of the Unknown Must Die!'
TPB The Crusades (2001)
Detective Comics (1937)
- 'The Compleat Terminal City'
#777 Django Unchained (2013)
Doctor Zero (1988)
- 'Dead Reckoning, Part One'#778
- 'Dead Reckoning, Part Two'#779
- 'Dead Reckoning, Part Three'#780
- 'Dead Reckoning, Part Four'#781
- 'Dead Reckoning, Part Five'#782
- 'Dead Reckoning (part 6 - conclusion)'#783
- 'More Perfect Than Perfect'#784
- 'Made of Wood (part 1)'#785
- 'Made of Wood (part 2)'#786
- 'Made of Wood (part 3)'#787
- 'Mimsy Were the Borogoves'#788
- 'The Randori Stone (part 1)'#790
- 'The Surrogate part 2: The Blinding'#793
- 'The Surrogate part 3: Deliverance'#795
- 'Monsters of Rot part 2: Knee Deep'
#4 Green Arrow (1988)
Guy Gardner: Warrior (1994)
- '...A Million Deaths is a Statistic'
#23 Iron Man (1968)
Jonny Double (1998)
- 'Wet Dreams'#29
- 'It's My Party And I'll Fight If I Want To'
TPB Justice League of America (2006)
Marvel Comics Presents (1988)
- 'Two-Finger Discount'#1
- 'Two-Finger Discount, Part 1'#2
- 'Two-Finger Discount, Part 2'#3
- 'Two-Finger Discount, Part 3'#4
- 'Two-Finger Discount, Part 4'
#81 Plastic Man Archives (1998)
Ray Bradbury Comics Special Edition (1994)
- 'Weapon X/Final Blow/Time Bomb/The Call'
#1 Showcase '94 (1994)
- 'The Illustrated Man'
#11 St. George (1988)
- 'Starfire - Black Condor - Man-Bat'
#4 Terminal City (1996)
Terminal City: Aerial Graffiti (1997)
Two-Face: Year One (2008)
Vertigo Resurrected: Jonny Double (2011)
- 'It is in the Giving That We Receive'
#1 Vigilante: City Lights, Prairie Justice (1995)
- 'Two-Finger Discount'
TPB Weird Western Tales (2001)
Wolverine Saga (1989)
- 'City Lights, Prairie Justice'#1
- 'Part 1'#2
- 'Part 2'#3
- 'Part 3'#4
- 'Part 4'
#4 X-Men: Days of Future Present (1991)
- 'Book Four: The Hero Triumphant'
- 'Days of Future Present'