In his early career, Carlos Pacheco did some work for Planeta Comics, an imprint of pan-European publisher Planeta De Agostini, mainly covers and pin-ups for Spanish translated editions of Marvel Comics, published at the time by Planeta. He later teamed up with writer Rafael Marin to create the Spanish superheroes Iberia Inc and Tríada Vértice for the same publisher.
Pacheco first got attention in the United States for his work as penciller on Dark Guard, a 4-issue Marvel UK title where he worked with writer Dan Abnett and inker Oscar Jimenez. This led to him being offered work by American comic editors leading to Marvel Comics' 1994 Bishop four issue limited series where he worked with writer John Ostrander and inker Cam Smith. Later that year Pacheco did his first work for DC Comics on The Flash #93, 94 and 99, with writer Mark Waid and inker Jose Marzan Jr.
After that Pacheco's next stateside work came in 1995's X-Universe two part limited series (a part of the Age of Apocalypse event), published by Marvel. Pacheco was joined by writer Terry Kavanagh and was again inked by Cam Smith. At the end of 1995 and the beginning of 1996 Pacheco and Smith collaborated with writer Warren Ellis on a Starjammers limited series. This series was successful enough that the creative team was reunited on Marvel's Excalibur ongoing series for a brief run in 1996. Shortly after this Pacheco became penciller on Marvel's Fantastic Four for two issues (#415-416), where he worked with writer Tom DeFalco as the title wrapped up in preparation for Heroes Reborn.
By that point Pacheco's art had become a fan favorite, with his work regularly getting coverage in magazines such as Wizard. In early 1997 Marvel acknowledged this by assigning Pacheco to one of its flagship titles, X-Men, with #62 (March, 1997). On that title he worked with writers Scott Lobdell and Joe Kelly and inker Art Thibert. He left the title at #75 in May 1998.
After X-Men, Pacheco began work on Avengers Forever a 12-issue limited series, where Pacheco worked with writer Kurt Busiek and (for the first time in the U.S.) inker Jesus Merino, who from that point on became Pacheco's regular inker. This series, which drew together many strands from various Avengers storylines to tell an epic adventure, was a critical, fan and commercial success.
Pacheco's next regular assignment was in 2000, a return to the Fantastic Four, with Vol. 3 #35. This time he took on the co-writing chores (initially with Rafael Marin, later joined by Jeph Loeb) as well as pencilling duties. However Pacheco's pencilling contributions were shorter than expected, with his last art contribution coming in #50, and him leaving the book entirely by #54. While he was doing Fantastic Four Pacheco also wrote, again with co-writer Rafael Marin, a 4-issue Inhumans limited series, with pencils by Jose Ladronn and Jorge Lucas.
His next substantial work after Fantastic Four was for DC Comics: JLA/JSA: Virtue and Vice, with writers David S. Goyer and Geoff Johns. This 100-page graphic novel united the Justice League and Justice Society against common foes in the style of what once had been an annual tradition.
In 2003 Pacheco reunited with his Avengers Forever collaborator Kurt Busiek for the creator-owned fantasy war series Arrowsmith published by WildStorm. This series envisioned a world where magic is real and the First World War was fought with dragons, spells, vampires etc. used as weapons by both sides. The series ran for six issues and there are plans for future series set in that world which would again by written by Busiek and drawn by Pacheco.
In 2004 Pacheco returned to super-heroes and DC Comics to pencil a five issue stint on the Superman/Batman title ("Absolute Power", in #14-18), where he was again joined by writer Jeph Loeb. The two told a tale in which, due to the time-traveling machinations of the Legion of Super-Villains, Batman and Superman took over the world and a group of Freedom Fighters has to rise up against them. Later that year at DC, Pacheco went on to share alternate monthly pencilling duties with Ethan Van Sciver on the new Green Lantern series written by Geoff Johns.
As of July 2006, he is once again working with Kurt Busiek on DC comics' Superman title. Busiek told readers of the Comic Bloc internet forum that Pacheco cannot draw 12 issues a year, and there will be fill-in artists.
Date of Birth:
November 14, 1961
San Roque, Cadiz
Carlos Pacheco is a favorite creator of 57 users
The 100 Greatest Marvels of All Time (2001)
Adventures of Superman (1987)
Age of Ultron (2013)
The All New Exiles (1995)
All-New Captain America (2015)
All-Star Companion (2004)
Aquaman: Sword of Atlantis (2006)
TPB vol. 01 Astro City/Arrowsmith (2004)
Avengers Legends (2001)
The Avengers United (2001)
Avengers: Forever (1998)
- 'So Smart In Their Fine Uniforms'#1
- 'So Smart in Their Fine Uniforms...'#2
- 'On the Sidewalks of New York'#3
- 'Down to the Sea in Ships'#4
- 'La Vie en Escadrille'#5
- 'Tomorrow's Dawn'
HCTPBTPB (Second Edition)#1 Avengers: West Coast Avengers Omnibus (2013)
Avengers/Defenders War (2002)
Avengers/Squadron Supreme '98 (1998)
Captain America (1968)
- 'Destiny Made Manifest'#1 (Kang Cover)
- 'Destiny Made Manifest'#2
- 'Now is the Time for All Good Men...'#3
- 'The City at the Heart of Forever'#4
- 'Running Out of Time'#5
- 'Past Imperfect... Future Tense!'#6
- 'In the Meantime'#7
- 'Into a Limbo... Large and Broad'#8
- 'The Secret History Of The Avengers'#9
- 'Break: Reflections Of The Conqueror'#10
- 'Tomorrow And Tomorrow And Tomorrow...'#11
- 'The Destiny War!'#12
- 'Avengers Assemble!'
#449 Captain America (2013)
Captain Marvel (1999)
- 'First Sign, Chapter One: I'll Take Manhattan'
#4 Captain Marvel (2002)
Chicago Comic Con 2009 (2009)
The Classic Marvel Figurine Collection (2008)
Comic Shop News (1987)
Comic-Con International Update (1996)
Dark Guard (1993)
- 'Other Side of the Drax'
#1 DC Comics Presents: Superman/Doomsday (2011)
DC/WS DreamWar (2008)
- 'Tour of Duty'#2
- 'On The Brink'#3
- 'Wipe Out!'
#6 Die Fantastischen Vier (2000)
Die Offizielle Marvel-Comic-Sammlung (2013)
Essential X-Men (2010)
- '...Perchance To Dream'
#87 Excalibur Visionaries: Warren Ellis (2010)
The Exploits of Spider-Man (1992)
Fantastic Four (1961)
- 'Back to Reality'#89
- 'Easy Tiger'#90
- 'Blood Eagle'#95
- 'Amplified Heart'#96
- 'Fire with Fire'#100
- 'London's Burning'#103
- 'Bend Sinister Reprise'
#415 Fantastic Four (1998)
- 'An Enemy Among Us'#416
- 'Unfinished Business'
HC Fantastic Four: The Legend (1996)
Final Crisis (2008)
Final Crisis (2009)
Green Lantern (2005)
Green Lantern Corps (2006)
Green Lantern Secret Files and Origins 2005 (2005)
Green Lantern Super Spectacular (2011)
- 'Fantastic Four: Resurrection of Galactus'TPB
- 'Flesh and Stone'#2 (Carlos Pacheco Cover)
- 'Be It Ever So Humble...'#35
- 'Shadows in the Mirror!'#35 (Gold Foil Variant)
- 'Shadows in the Mirror!'#36
- 'Day of the Dark Sun'#37
- 'There's No Business'#38
- 'Flesh and Stone'#39
- 'Things Change'#40
- 'Into the Breach'#41
- 'A Clear & Present Danger'#43
- 'And the Walls Came Tumbling Down'#44
- 'You Can't Get There From Here'#46
- 'It's Too Late to Stop Now!'#47
- 'Just Imagine...'#48
- 'Worlds Apart'#49
- 'Dark Victory'
#5 Horizon (2003)
- 'Part 5: For Your Sins'
#5 Invaders: Eve of Destruction (2010)
Invincible Iron Man (2008)
Iron Fist (1998)
- 'Arrowsmith/The Possessed'
#1 Iron Fist: The Return of K'un Lun (2015)
JLA/JSA Secret Files and Origins (2003)
JLA/JSA: Virtue and Vice (2002)
- 'In The Fold'#2
- 'In The Fold Part 2 of 3'#3
- 'In The Fold Part 3 of 3'
TPB vol. 07 JSA Omnibus (2014)
Justice League of America (2006)
- 'Princes Of Darkness'#48
- 'Princes of Darkness, Part 3: Enlightenment'#49
- 'Princes of Darkness, Part 4: Army of Darkness'#50
- 'Princes of Darkness, Part 5: The Last Light'#51
- 'Princes of Darkness, Coda: Justice Eternity'#52
- 'Brand New Day'#53
- 'Virtue, Vice & Pumpkin Pie'#55
- 'Be Good for Goodness Sake'
#21 Klassiker der Comic-Literatur (2005)
- 'The Gathering Crisis'
#4 Marvel Crossover (2000)
- 'Die Fantastischen Vier'
#21 Marvel Magazine (1998)
Marvel Point One (2011)
Marvel Previews (2003)
Marvel Spotlight: Summer Events (2009)
Marvel Universe (1998)
- ' Die Rächer - Squadron Supreme'
#1 Marvel Vision (1996)
The Mighty World of Marvel (2003)
- 'The Spoils of War!'
#66 The Order (2002)
- 'The Defenders Are Dead.. Long Live The Order'
#1 Starjammers (1995)
- 'The Best Defense...'#2
- 'It's Our World'#3
- 'Ultimatum: Avengers !'#4
- 'Norrin's Rib'#5
- 'Blinded By Science'#6
- 'Out Of Order'
#1 Steve Rogers: Super-Soldier (2010)
- 'Cepheid Variable'#2
Annual 13HC vol. 01 Superman Legends (2007)
Superman Monster Edition (2003)
Superman Past and Future (2008)
Superman: Ending Battle (2009)
Superman: The Man of Steel (1991)
- 'Camelot Falls vol. 01'HC vol. 02
- 'Camelot Falls vol. 02: The Weight of the World'TPB vol. 01
- 'Camelot Falls vol. 01'TPB vol. 02
- 'Camelot Falls vol. 02: The Weight of the World'#654
- 'On Our Special Day'#655
- 'Cold Comfort'#656
- 'Men & Monsters'#657
- 'Camelot Falls'#658
- 'The Last Tomorrow'#662
- 'The Weight of the World'#663
- 'The Big Picture'#664
- 'The Superman Family: Jimmy - A Countdown Dossier Special!'#667
- 'Tide and Torrent'#712
- 'Lost Boy: A Tale of Krypto the Superdog'
#131 Superman/Batman (2003)
- 'The Big Parade'
HC vol. 03 Tales of the Marvel Universe (1997)
- 'Absolute Power'TPB vol. 03
- 'Absolute Power'#14
- 'Absolute Power, Chapter One: "I Pledge Allegiance..."'#15
- 'Absolute Power, Chapter Two: "What Price Freedom...?"'#16
- 'Absolute Power, Chapter Three: "When Time Goes Asunder..."'#17
- 'Absolute Power, Chapter Four: "A World Without Batman..."'#18
- 'Absolute Power, The Startling Conclusion: "Thy Will Be Done..."'
#1 Tangent: Superman's Reign (2008)
- 'Tales of the Marvel Universe'
#1 Thunderbolts (1997)
Top Cow Book of Revelations (2003)
Ultimate Avengers (2009)
The Ultimate Graphic Novel Collection (2011)
Ultimate Thor (2010)
- 'Tangent: Superman's Reign Chapter 1'#2
- 'Tangent: Superman's Reign Chapter 2'#3
- 'Tangent: Superman's Reign Chapter 3'
#2 Uncanny X-Men (1963)
Uncanny X-Men (2012)
Wildstorm Universe Sourcebook (1995)
Wizard World Philadelphia (2008)
- 'Wave of Mutilation Part 2: Loaded'
#2004 Wolverine: Weapon X (2009)
- 'Official 2004 Convention Program'
TPB X-Mannen (1982)
- 'Ultimate X-Calibre'#3
- 'Body Heat'
#164 X-Men (1991)
X-Men Archives Sketchbook (2000)
X-Men Chronicles (1995)
X-Men vs. The Brood (1996)
- 'Boden van de dood'
#2 X-Men: Mutations (1996)
X-Men: Schism (2011)
X-Men: The Early Years (1994)
- 'Day of Wrath part 2'
#9 X-Treme X-Men (2001)
- 'Enter, the Avengers'
- 'Last Stand'#2
- 'Dying Breath'