Here you discover - if you didn't already know - that Fábio Moon and Gabriel Bá are twin brothers. They have been this way since 1976.
Yes, I know. Different names. Artists.
Anyway, they make comic books. They always wanted to tell their stories, and they chose comics as the way to reach out.
They're both art graduates, live in São Paulo and like to be in love. They love, above all, the art of telling stories, with pictures, where the most remarking images are not those in the page, but the ones between each panel, in the moments we look around and imagine ourselves inside the story and smile. Images that exist only on the reader's imagination.
"Comics are like poetry", they use to say, "because in poetry words are more than just words, and in comics images can be more than just images".
They started self-publishing in Brazil in 1993, but it was only after they started their "10 Pãezinhos" series, in 1997, that they really got the attention of the public. Their first mini-series, "Sunflower and the Moon", which they self published in 1997, was so successful it became the reference for independent fanzine work in Brazil, and was released by a brazilian publisher as a graphic novel in 2000.
They published in the United States for the first time in 1999, with the mini-series ROLAND - days of wrath, written and self published by Shane Amaya, which won the Xeric Foundation Grant that year.
At that time, they still wanted to draw super heroes.
Luckily for them, they failed miserably at that. In the US, they have contributed on the Dark Horse anthology Autobiographix, published in 2003. They are now the only brazilians to have been published alongside such comic book legends as Frank Miller and Will Eisner, as well as great authors like Stan Sakai and Eddie Campbell, all at the same time. And, if you're brazilian, you can say all this famous artists were lucky to publish work alongside the twins.
In 2004, they released Ursula in the US, published by AiT/Planet Lar. The following year, the story was published in Italy by Lain.
In 2005, Fábio did Smoke and Guns with writer Kirsten Baldock, published by AiT/ Planet Lar. Gabriel and Fábio worked in the western anthology Gunned Down, published by Terra Major, which marked the reunion of Gabriel with writer/publisher Shane Amaya.
Their independent comic book ROCK'n'ROLL was picked up by Image Comics and it was published again in November of 2005.
2006 was a very important year for them, as they have released De:TALES, by Dark Horse, elected by Booklist as one of the 10 best Graphic Novels of that year and has been nominated for an Eisner Award for Best U.S. Publication of international material. Gabriel called everybody's attention working on Casanova, the hot-sexy-ultra-spy adventure series written by Matt Fraction, published by Image Comics.
Currently, Gabriel is working on The Umbrella Academy with writer Gerard Way, lead singer of My Chemical Romance, published by Dark Horse, and Fábio took the wheel on Casanova for the second season of crazy adventures. They keep writing and drawing their own stories, just waiting the right time to enchant the world again.
They love women and samba, not necessarily on that order.
Date of Birth:
June 5th, 1976
São Paulo, Brazil
Website: http://www.fabioandgabriel.blogspot.com/Twitter: http://twitter.com/Gabriel_Ba Favorite Creators:
Gabriel Bá is a favorite creator of 39 usersAwards:
- 2009 Will Eisner Comic Industry Awards - Nominee - Best Cover Artist: (Gabrial Bá, Casanova (Image); The Umbrella Academy (Dark Horse))
- 2009 Will Eisner Comic Industry Awards - Nominee - Best Penciller/Inker or Penciller/Inker Team: (The Umbrella Academy (Dark Horse))
Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Tales of the Vampires (2009)
HC vol. 01 Casanova: Acedia (2015)
Casanova: Avaritia (2011)
- 'Luxuria'TPB vol. 01
- 'Execution Days'#2
- 'Pretty Little Policeman'#3
- 'Mission to Yerba Muerta!'#4
- 'Women and Men (Part One)'#7
- 'Women and Men (Part Two)'#8
- 'In Media Res'#9
- 'When the Wolf Comes Home'#10
- 'Naomi, I Moan'#12
- 'Fuck Shit Up'#13
- 'Some of the Things That Happened to the Murderers and the Murdered Among Us'#14
- 'Hallo Spaceboy'
TPB Casanova: Luxuria (2010)
- 'W.A.S.T.E.-Free Wilderness'#2
- 'What if It's Never Enough'#3
- 'Harm Reduction'#4
- 'Relaxed In Person'
TPB Casanova: The Complete Edition (2014)
The CBLDF Presents Liberty Annual (2010)
Comic Shop News (1987)
The Comics Journal (1977)
Dark Horse Presents (2011)
Dark Horse Presents (2014)
- '"Execution Days" b/w "I Think I Almost Loved Him"'#1 (2nd Printing)#2
- '"Pretty Little Policeman" b/w "Mission to Yerba Muerta"'#2 (2nd Printing)#3
- '"Détournement" b/w "Coldheart"'#4
- '"Women and Men (Part One)" b/w "Women and Men (Part Two)"'
HC Head Lopper (2015)
How to Talk to Girls at Parties (2016)
- 'Daytripper: The Deluxe Edition'TPB
- 'Chapter One: 32'#2
- 'Chapter Two: 21'#3
- 'Chapter Three: 28'#4
- 'Chapter Four: 41'#5
- 'Chapter Five: 11'#6
- 'Chapter Six: 33'#7
- 'Chapter Seven: 38'#8
- 'Chapter Eight: 47'#9
- 'Chapter Nine: Dream'#10
- 'Chapter Ten: 76'
OGN HC Moonshine (2016)
- 'How to Talk to Girls at Parties'
#211 Roland: Days of Wrath (1999)
- 'Vol. XVI, No. 4'#240
- 'Vol. XVIII No. 9'
#2 The Strain: The Silver Angel (2014)
The True Lives of the Fabulous Killjoys (2013)
Two Brothers (2015)
The Umbrella Academy: Apocalypse Suite (2007)
The Umbrella Academy: Dallas (2008)
- 'The Death of Roland'
Limited Edition HCTPB vol. 02 The Umbrella Academy: Hotel Oblivion (2018)
- 'The Jungle, Being Part One of Six in the Story: Dallas'#2
- 'Boy Scouts, Being Part Two of Six in the Story: Dallas'#3
- 'Television or Are You There God? It's Me, Klaus. Being Part Three Of The Story: Dallas'#4
- 'A Perfect Life, Being Part Four of Six in the Story: Dallas'#5
- 'All The Animals In The Zoo, Being Part Five of Six in the Story: Dallas'#6
- 'The World Is Big Enough Without You, Being the Final Part in the Story: Dallas'
Preview#1 Ursula (2004)
- 'Evil, Being Part One of the Seven-Part Series Hotel Oblivion'#1 (Cover B)
- 'Evil, Being Part One of the Seven-Part Series Hotel Oblivion'