It's been a while since I wrote one of these, and I must be careful not to descend too far into rant mode, a pitfall of the frequent writing of editorials. I used to have a perfectly serviceable biography that I would send around to folks who asked for such, part of which read: "In 1981, he stopped working for IBM and started devoting full time to Warp Graphics." However, at some point, due to someone else's editorial negligence, I discovered that "In 1981, he stopped working for IBM." Period. A later omission put me deeper on welfare: "In 1981, he stopped working." It's fear, pure and simple, that motivates this new attempt to limn my life; I don't want to find out what else happened (or didn't happen) to me in 1981.
There comes a point in the repeated crafting of biographies when one forgets what one has said before a hundred times and what one has never revealed. Therefore, I present a smorgasbord and the reader may pick and choose at leisure.
Yes, I am a damn Yankee, born in Connecticut, educated (allegedly in the collegiate sense) in Boston and Cambridge, and living in New York (but, I hasten to add, not in the City - never in the City). Poughkeepsie is upstate. It's nice. There are trees. There are not many taxicabs. There used to be not many cell phones, but even Poughkeepsie must come into the 20th century at some point.
I was born in 1950, in New Haven, Connecticut, which made me half a century old in 2000, which was not the first year of the new millennium. I used to think that "half a century" was a long, long time to live. Now that I've arrived, I realize that it's only the start. I've spent nearly half of that span working on Elfquest (more on that in a bit). I've spent over half that span knowing, loving and conspiring with life-partner Wendy. There is much yet to come.
My educational background is in astronomy (a love of heavenly bodies and all that, I'm sure you've heard it before) which has prepared me ideally for careers in planetarium entertainment, teaching high school, programming big computers for IBM and, presently, publishing comic books and graphic novels. You've perhaps heard of "Elfquest". It is a sprawling fastasy adventure series told in various forms and formats and it has occupied my mind, hands and wallet for the last twenty-plus years; its grip does not seem to be weakening. They say that the average career lasts for five years; I'm doing my part to screw up the average. In the span of over two decades I've done nearly everything possible for someone in this line of work to do: write, edit, publish, market, manage, succeed, fail, and administrate. I enjoy most of that; I do not however like being a paper-pusher. Now that Elfquest has gotten its second wind as an animated film and licensed merchandise property, I suspect that everything prior to now is merely preamble, and that the gods are going to turn the volume up to 11 any day.
I enjoy language in all its creative uses; puns, limericks, double entendres, these are a few of my favorite things. There are not many subjects that can or will embarrass me in conversation, on a panel discussion at a convention, or in editorial exposure. Over the years, some people may have discovered what one of them might be; I don't recall. If it happens again, we'll see.
One of my favorite sayings has been, "Everything's negotiable." In the course of business, it works well. In the course of learning about and from life, that phrase is tied for first place with, "Everything's learnable." As vast and mysterious as is the external universe, uncovering what goes on inside the head, heart and soul is the truest quest of all.
Date of Birth:
Website: http://www.elfquest.com Favorite Creators:
Richard Pini is a favorite creator of 5 users
The Art of ElfQuest (2015)
The Big Elfquest Gatherum (1994)
Blood of the Innocent (1986)
#1 The Complete Elfquest (2014)
A Distant Soil (1983)
- 'New Moon, New Blood'#2
- 'Light of the Sun, Dark of the Moon'#3
- 'Moon Beams, Dread Schemes'#4
- 'New Moon, New Blood'
#1 Elflord (1997)
- 'An invasion of Privacy'#2
- 'A Daze of Future / Past'#3
- 'Party Line'#6
- 'All Together Now'#7
- 'Train of Thought'#8
- 'Breathing Space'#9
- 'Tears & Fears'
#1 ElfQuest (1978)
- 'Serpents in the Garden'#2
- 'Dance of the Sidhe'#3
- 'Elfheimbane Dreams'#4
#1 ElfQuest (1996)
- 'Fire & Flight'#2
- 'Journey to Sorrow's End'#3
- 'Raid At Sorrow's End!'#4
- 'The Challenge'#5
- 'Bridge of Destiny'#6
- 'Voice of the Sun'#8
- 'Soul Names'#9
- 'The Quest Begins'#10
- 'Return to the Holt'#11
- 'Dreamberry Tales'#12
- 'Hands Of The Symbol Maker'#13
- 'The Warning And The Way'#14
- 'The Lodestone'#15
- 'The Forbidden Grove'#16
- 'Noisybad Highthing!'#17
- 'Lair Of The Bird Spirits'#19
- 'What Is The Way?'#20
- 'Fine Feathers'#21
- 'Secret Of The Wolfriders'#22
- 'The Fall'#23
- 'The Awakening'#24
- 'The Quest Usurped!'#25
- 'The Go-Backs'#26
- 'Two-Edge's Clue'#27
- 'The First War'#28
- 'The Treasure'#29
- 'The Game of Two-Edge'#30
- 'Final Battles'#31
- 'Quest's End Part 1'#32
- 'Quest's End Part 2'
#1 Elfquest - The First 20 Years (1998)
Elfquest Archives (2004)
The Elfquest Gatherum (1981)
Elfquest Reader's Collection (1998)
- 'Welcome To Our World'#2
- 'Dreamtime Part I '#18
- 'Dream's End'#31
- 'Our Wish to All a Holiday Season and New Year Blessed with Home and Hearth'#32
- 'Eyes High and Clear Right into the New Year!'#33
- 'And What Shall the Magician Foretell?'
#1 Elfquest Summer Special (2001)
- 'Fire & Flight'#2
- 'The Forbidden Grove'#3
- 'Captives of Blue Mountain'#4
- 'Quest's End'#5
- 'Siege at Blue Mountain'#6
- 'The Secret of Two-Edge'#7
- 'The Cry From Beyond'#8
- 'Kings of the Broken Wheel'#8a
- 'In All But Blood'#11
#1 ElfQuest: 25th Anniversary Special (2003)
ElfQuest: Bedtime Stories (1994)
ElfQuest: Blood of Ten Chiefs (1993)
Novel vol. 01 ElfQuest: Graphic Novel Series (1993)
ElfQuest: Hidden Years (1992)
- 'The Blood of Ten Chiefs, vol. 1'Novel vol. 02
- 'The Blood of Ten Chiefs, vol. 2: Wolfsong'#2
- 'The Phantom of the Berry Patch'#8
- 'The Spirit Quest'#9
- 'Shadow Play'#12
- 'Demontricker's Dilemma'#20
- 'Petalwing's Song'
HC ElfQuest: Kahvi (1995)
- 'The Hidden Years'#1
- 'Going Back'#3
- 'Little Patch'#4
- 'Right of Passage'#5
- 'Starfall, Starrise'#9 ½
- 'Rogue's Challenge'#26
- 'Questions -- No Answers'
#1 ElfQuest: Kings Cross (1997)
- 'Perchance To Dream'#3
- 'Music of the Spears'#4
- 'Long Day's Journey'#5
- 'Troll Gate'#6
#1 ElfQuest: Kings of the Broken Wheel (1990)
- 'Kings Cross: A Worldpool Tale (1 of 2)'#2
- 'Kings Cross: A Worldpool Tale (2 of 2)'
#8 ElfQuest: Metamorphosis (1995)
ElfQuest: New Blood (1992)
ElfQuest: Siege at Blue Mountain (1987)
- 'Kings of the Broken Wheel Part 8'
#2 Elfquest: The Grand Quest (2004)
Elfquest: The Rebels (1994)
- 'Siege at Blue Mountain II'#3
- 'Siege at Blue Mountain III'#4
- 'Siege At Blue Mountain Part 4'#5
- 'Siege at Blue Mountain Part 5'#6
- 'Siege at Blue Mountain Part 6'#7
- 'Siege at Blue Mountain Part 7'#8
- 'Siege at Blue Mountain Part 8'
#1 ElfQuest: Wave Dancers (1993)
- 'To Colder Seas'#11
- 'The Melting Pot'
special Elfquest: Wolfrider (2003)
ElfQuest: Worldpool (1997)
Hawk & Windblade (1997)
- 'Turning Tide'#1
- 'Search for the True Crown Part 1'#2
- 'Search for the True Crown Part 2'#3
- 'Search for the True Crown Part 3'#4
- 'Search for the True Crown Part 4'#5
- 'Search for the True Crown Part 5'#6
- 'Search for the True Crown Part 6'
#1 Myth Adventures (1984)
- 'All the Lonely Places... part 1 of 2'#2
- 'All the Lonely Places... part 2 of 2'
HC vol. 01 Myth Conceptions (1987)
- 'One'HC vol. 02
- 'Two'TPB vol. 01
- 'One'TPB vol. 02
- '"Hello, I Must Be Going."'#2
- '"...a pleasant walk, a pleasant talk..."'#3
- '"Should Auld Acquaintance Be Forgot..."'#4
- '"There We Were Justa Walkin' down the Street, Singin'..."'#5
- '"Look!... But You Better Not Touch!"'#6
- '"-That's why the Lady is a Tramp"'#7
- '"Ah Yes, I Remember It Well"'#8
- 'And Now It's Time, To Say Goodbye...'#9
- 'A Guess(t) Appearance'#10
- '(I'm In With) The Inn Crowd!'#11
- 'Prose and Cons'#12
- 'Out of the Inn Biz'
#1 One for One: ElfQuest (2015)
- 'Myth Conceptions'#2
- 'We're Off to Be the Wizard!'#3
- 'In by 9, Outnumbered by 5!'#4
- 'Spoil the Brawl!'#5
- 'Back to no Future'#6
- 'Heroes Won, Dragons Two'#7
- 'Hot Crossed Pervects'#8
- 'Who's the Boss?'
#1 Unicorn Isle (1986)
- 'Rabbit Tales'#4
- 'The Keeper Plays for Keeps'#5
- 'Moonlight Miss'#6#7
- 'The Deadly Return of Doctor Fog!'#8
- 'Showdown with Dr. Fog!'#9
- 'Dreams of the Rabbit Fiend!'#10
- 'Beware the Rabbit'#11
- 'T.H.U.N.D.E.R. Bunny'
#1 Warp Graphics Annual (1986)
The Wolfrider's Guide to the World of Elfquest (1997)
- 'Betrayed: Chapter 1'#2
- 'Betrayed: Chapter 2'#3
- 'Betrayed: Chapter 3'#4
- 'Betrayed: chapter 4'#5
- 'Betrayed: chapter 5'