Paris Cullins had sent DC Comics samples of his fledgling comics art since 1976, finally meeting with art director Dick Giordano in the last week of 1979. Cullins recalled in 2007 that,
“ I brought new pages and he loved it. The pages were Batman vs. Manhunter. I did it on a lark. He then told me, ...'Come in the first day after New Year's and I’ll have a script for you, and talk to you about the [DC intern] program'. I came in on January 2nd and he gave me a script that day. ... When I started with them they had me doing some horror stories ... I also did one feature in particular, called 'I, Vampire'. ”
Cullins' first known credited comics work was as penciler-inker of the six-page story "Mystic Murder", by writer Steve Skeates, in the DC Comics supernatural anthology Secrets of Haunted House #42 (Nov. 1981). Cullins went on to pencil stories in such similar DC titles as House of Mystery, Ghosts, The Unexpected and Weird War Tales through the early 1980s, and made his superhero debut penciling an eight-page "Tales of the Green Lantern Corps" backup feature in Green Lantern #154 (July 1982). As well, artist Ernie Colon, whom Cullins met at DC and who drew Richie Rich and other children's titles for Harvey Comics, "offered me a job doing some extra work for Harvey Comics. For several months I drew Richie Rich and Hot Stuff.
After co-penciling Justice League of America #212 (March 1983) with Rich Buckler, and making his cover debuts with The Daring New Adventures of Supergirl #7 and penciling first full-length comic, Blue Devil #1 (June 1984), starring a superhero he had co-created with writer Gary Cohn and Dan Mishkin earlier that month for a backup feature in The Fury of Firestorm #24 (June 1984).
Blue Devil ran 31 issues, through cover-date December 1986, with Cullins penciling the first six and Blue Devil Annual #1 (1985), and covers through the end of the run. Cullins additionally drew dozens of DC covers and occasional stories through the decade, and numerous character pages for Who's Who: The Definitive Directory of the DC Universe. Cullins and writer Len Wein helped introduce the Ted Kord Blue Beetle to DC, which had acquired that character from the defunct Charlton Comics, teaming on the 1986 Blue Beetle series. Cullins penciled issues #1-9, 11-14, and 17-18 (collectively, June 1986 - Nov. 1987).
Cullins broke into Marvel Comics penciling a six-page High Evolutionary story each in the 1988 X-Factor Annual #3 and Silver Surfer Annual #1, though still freelancing primarily for DC — collaborating there with writer J.M. DeMatteis on a revival of Jack Kirby's The Forever People, penciling stories and covers for a six-issue miniseries (Feb.-July 1988). With writer Mark Evanier, primarily, Cullins co-plotted and penciled issues #1-9, 11-12, and 15-18 (collectively, Feb. 1989 - July 1990) of a revival of Kirby's The New Gods.
n the 1990s, Cullins, while keeping DC as his home base, branched out to draw additional occasional comics for Marvel, and for publishers including Acclaim Comics, Massive Comics Group, Penthouse Comics, and Crusade Comics. Teamed with writer Fred Burke, Cullins penciled stories and covers for all nine issues of the superhero-team comic Hyperkind, for Marvel's Clive Barker-created Razorline imprint.
Largely absent from comics from 1996, when he did pencil-breakdowns for DC's Life, The Universe and Everything #1, to 2001, when he penciled the cover of DC/Onstar's Onstar Batman Special Edition #1, Cullins contributed a one-page Blazing Glory pinup to Atomeka Press' A1 Sketchbook (Nov. 2004), his last known comics work as of 2007.
At some point, Cullins did book-cover art and "worked for advertisement agencies, and did storyboards for [video]games and TV commercials, Activision in particular, and full-color storyboards and designs for a game called Terror in the Bermuda Triangle".
In December 2006, the Philadelphia, Pennsylvania-based Maximum Overtime Media announced the first-quarter 2007 planned premiere of Gritz n' Gravy, "a quarterly illustrated adult urban fantasy and popular-culture national magazine", with Cullins, a company co-founder, announced as publisher.
Date of Birth:
Website: http://www.gritzandgravymag.com/parispro.html Favorite Creators:
Paris Cullins is a favorite creator of 3 users
A1 Sketchbook (2004)
Across the Universe: DC Universe Stories of Alan Moore (2003)
TPB Action Comics (1938)
- 'Across the Universe: The DC Universe Stories of Alan Moore'
#576 Alan Moore: Storyteller (2011)
- 'Earth's Sister Planet'#580
- 'The Day Superman Couldn't Save!'
HC All-New Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe A to Z (2006)
- 'Alan Moore: Storyteller'
#5 Amazing Spider-Man Epic Collection (2013)
The Amazing Spider-Man (1963)
Animal Man (1988)
- 'Gorgon to Jury'#12
- 'Ultragirl to Arnim Zola'
#400 Batman [FIN] (1987)
Blue Beetle (1986)
- 'Resurrection Night!'
#1 Blue Devil (1984)
Captain Atom (1987)
Celebrate the Century Super Heroes Stamp Album (1998)
- 'Out From the Ashes'#2
- 'This City's Not For Burning'#3
- 'If This Be Madness...!'#4
- 'The Answer is Alchemy'#5
- 'Ask the Right Question'#6
- 'Face-Off'#6 (Newsstand Edition)
- 'Gang War!'#7 (Newsstand Edition)
- 'Gang War'#8
- 'Havok is...the Hybrid!'#12
- 'Man in the Middle'#13
- 'Prometheus Unbound!'#14
- 'The Phantom of Pago Island!'#17
- 'The Way The Brawl Bounces!'#18
- '...And Death Shall Have No Dominion!'
#10 Checkmate (1988)
- 'Book X: 1990-1999'
#14 Clive Barker's Book Of The Damned: A Hellraiser Companion (1991)
Clive Barker's Hellraiser (1989)
Clive Barker's Hellraiser Masterpieces (2011)
The DC Comics Encyclopedia (2004)
- 'Neighborhood Watch / Knight of the Living Dead / Hot Property'
HC DC Retroactive: Wonder Woman - The '90s (2011)
DC Sampler (1983)
DC Universe by Alan Moore (2012)
DC Universe: The Stories of Alan Moore (2006)
- 'The DC Comics Encyclopedia'HC
- 'The DC Comics Encyclopedia: Updated And Expanded'
TPB Detective Comics (1937)
- 'DC Universe: The Stories of Alan Moore'
#527 Die Spinne (1980)
- 'Avatars Of Vengeance'#528
- 'Requiem For Skulls'#529
- 'The Thief Of Night!'
#223 Doom Force Special (1992)
Doom Patrol (1987)
Evolutionary War Omnibus (2011)
FF: Fifty Fantastic Years (2011)
Flash Special (1990)
Forever People (1988)
- 'Der Schrei Nach Freiheit'
#1 The Fury of Firestorm (1982)
- 'The Day After Forever'#2
- 'From Earth to Forever!'#3
- 'Forever's End?'#4
- 'Forever's Fall!'#5
- 'Turning Points!'#6
- 'Forever and a Day!'
#24 Ghosts (1971)
Green Arrow (1988)
- 'Terminal Velocity!'
TPB vol. 02 Green Lantern (1960)
- 'Volume 2: Here There be Dragons'#8
- 'The Powderhorn Trail'
Annual 03 Green Lantern/Sinestro Corps Secret Files (2008)
Hawk and Dove (1989)
Heroes Against Hunger (1986)
House of Mystery (1951)
- 'Tales of the Green Lantern Corps'#154
- 'Rotten To The Corps'#156
- 'Judas World!'
#1 I... Vampire! (2011)
Justice League America (1989)
- 'Paxis Reborn'#2
- 'Let There Be Heroes!'#3
- 'The Big Lie'#4
- 'Raging Paragon'#5
- 'Under Pressure'#6
- 'Vexus Unleashed!'#7
- 'The Shing Path ... To Ambertrance!'#9
- 'Lazurex Prime!'
#48 Justice League of America (1960)
The Legend of Zelda (1991)
Legion of Super-Heroes (1984)
Legion of Super-Heroes (1989)
Life, the Universe and Everything (1996)
- 'The Last Nazi Giant Robot Story!'#50
- 'A Blaze of Glory!'
#1 Lobo's Greatest Hits (1991)
Magnus Robot Fighter (1991)
- 'Life, the Universe and Everything Book One'
#0 New Gods (1989)
- 'The Invisible Legion, Part One'
#1 The New Teen Titans (1984)
The New Titans (1988)
- 'Tales of Times Past and Future'#3
- 'Tests and The Truth'#4
- 'The Armageddon Trap!'#5
- 'People too Stupid to Die!'#7
- 'The Bloodline Saga Part One'#8
- 'The Bloodline Saga Part Two'#9
- 'The Bloodline Saga Part Three'#10
- 'The Bloodline Saga Part Four'#11
- 'The Bloodline Saga Part Five'#12
- 'The Bloodline Saga Part Six'#13
- 'The Daily Decision'#14
- 'Your Worst Nightmare'#15
- 'Savage Soul!'#17
- 'Advent of Darkness'#18
- 'Life Infinite'
Annual 06 Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe A to Z (2008)
The Omega Men (1983)
OMNI Comix (1995)
Penthouse Comix (1994)
- 'Starfire's World'#79
- 'the Once and Future...'
#6 Penthouse Max (1996)
The Punisher (1987)
Razorline: The First Cut (1993)
Secret Origins (1986)
- 'First Anniversary Issue'#19#22#33
- 'Vol. 4, No. 6'
#41 Secrets of Haunted House (1975)
Shi: Senryaku (1995)
- 'Featuring The Rogues' Gallery of The Flash'#48
- 'Featuring Ambush Bug, Stanley and His Monster, Trigger Twins & Rex The Wonder Dog'
#1 Shi: The Way of the Warrior (1994)
Showcase Presents Amethyst, Princess of Gemworld (2012)
Showcase Presents: Blue Beetle (2015)
Silver Surfer (1987)
Spandex Tights Summer Fun (1995)
Spider-Man: Birth of Venom (2007)
- 'Senryaku Book I of III'
TPB Spider-Man: The Vengeance of Venom (2011)
Spider-Man: Venom Returns (1993)
- 'Spider-Man: Birth of Venom'
#31 The Unexpected (1968)
- 'Mr. Mxyzptlk! As Good as His Word!'
#9 Vigilante (1983)
- 'How to Win Friends and Influence People!'
#15 The Warlord (1976)
Web of Spider-Man (1985)
- 'Send in the Clowns'
Annual 07 Weird War Tales (1971)
What If...? (1989)
- 'The Vibranium Vendetta, Part 3: The Machine and the Man'
#51 Who's Who in the DC Universe (1990)
- 'What If the Punisher had Become Captain America?'#51 (Newsstand Edition)
- 'What If the Punisher had Become Captain America?'
#1 Who's Who in the Legion of Super-Heroes (1988)
Who's Who: The Definitive Directory of the DC Universe (1985)
- 'Amanda Waller To Wotan'#2
- 'Booster Gold to Starman'#3
- 'Alfred Pennyworth To Spider-Girl'#9
- 'Black Canary To Vixen'#10
- 'Angel And The Ape To Wild Dog'#12
- 'Aquaman to Zatanna'
#3 Who's Who: Update '87 (1987)
- 'Black Lightning to Byth'#5
- 'Chronos to Cyclotron'#6
- 'Daily Planet to Doctor Polaris'#8
- 'Fatal Five to Garguax'#11
- 'Icicle to Jonni Thunder'#12
- 'Jonny Double to Kong'#16
- 'Mr. Terrific to Nightmaster'#24
- 'Tim Trench to Universo'
#1 Wonder Woman (1987)
- 'All-Star Squadron to Catalyst'
#65 WWE Superstars (2013)
- 'Fever Dream'#66
- 'A Sudden Deadly Leap'#67
- 'Barren, Rocky, and Cold'#67 (Newsstand Edition)
- 'Barren, Rocky, and Cold'#68
- 'Breaking Bonds'#69
- 'Noble Pyrates All'#70
- 'Once I Was A Slave'#71
- 'Home Again'
TPB vol. 03 X-Factor (1986)
X-Men: Inferno Prologue (2014)
- 'Legends Part One (of Four): Secret Raw'#9 (Variant Cover A)
- 'Legends Part One (of Four): Secret Raw'#9 (Variant Cover B)
- 'Legends Part One (of Four): Secret Raw'#10
- 'Legends Part Two (of Four): Giants!'#11
- 'Legends Part Three (of Four): What a Rush!'#12
- 'Legends Part Four (of Four): 3:16'
- 'X-Men: Inferno Prologue'