Charles was born in 1951 in Lynchburg, Virginia and has been drawing since he could hold a crayon. He drew his first full-length comic when he was 10 and called it "Atomic Man." Minimalist in nature, it required no drawing of hands, feet or heads ("they just glowed"). Since then, he has painstakingly drawn thousands of hands, feet, and heads in great detail. Charles graduated with a BFA from Virginia Commonwealth University, and worked in commercial animation for Candy Apple Productions in Richmond, Va., before moving to New York City in 1976. It was there that he became a freelance illustrator, working for many publications including Heavy Metal, Klutz Press, and National Lampoon. His award-winning work has graced the pages of numerous comic book, publishers such as Marvel, DC, Darkhorse and Epic. He has been featured in several gallery and museum exhibitions across the nation, including the first major exhibition of Science Fiction and Fantasy Art (New Britain Museum of American Art, 1980) and "Dreamweavers" (William King Regional Arts Center, 1994-95). In 1991, Charles shared the prestigious World Fantasy Award for Best Short Story with Neil Gaiman for their collaboration on Sandman #19 (DC Comics) --- the first and only time a comic book has held this honor. In the summer of 1997, Charles won the Will Eisner Comic Industry Award for Best Penciler/Inker for his work on The Book of Ballads and Sagas (which he self-publishes through his own Green Man Press) as well as Sandman #75. Soon after Charles finished the last of 175 paintings for Stardust, a novel written by Neil Gaiman, for which he was given the 1999 World Fantasy Award as Best Artist.
In 2002 Charles won a second Will Eisner award, this time as Best Painter for his work on Rose, a 130-page epic fantasy saga written by Cartoon Books' Jeff Smith. The year continued to be busy for Charles with the publication of Seven Wild Sisters (Subterranean Press) and The Green Man, Tales from the Mythic Forest (Viking), both utilizing cover art and interior b/w illustrations by the artist, and both making the 2003 American Library Association's list for Best Books for Young Adults! By the end of the year he had completed 28 paintings for his first children's picture book, A Circle of Cats, done in collaboration with writer Charles de Lint (Viking). This cover art won the Gold Award for Best Book Art in the 10th annual "Spectrum: The Best in Contemporary Fantastic Art" even before it was officially published. A new edition of Peter Pan (Tor/Starscape) featuringa cover as well as over 30 b/w interior illustrations by Vess was released this past Fall. Another collaboration with de Lint, Medicine Road (Subterranean Press) and the YA anthology,The Faery Reel (Viking ) will be arriving this Spring and he is currently hard at work producing drawings for several new books, including, A Storm of Swords (MeishaMerlin), the 25th anniversary edition of Moonheart (Subterranean Press) and a graphic novel collection of his ballads material for Tor.
Date of Birth:
June 10, 1951
Website: http://www.greenmanpress.com/ Favorite Creators:
Charles Dana Vess is a favorite creator of 34 usersAwards:
- 1995 Will Eisner Comic Industry Awards - Nominee - Best Cover Artist: (for Books of Magic [DC/Vertigo])
- 1996 Will Eisner Comic Industry Awards - Nominee - Best Cover Artist: (for Books of Magic [DC/Vertigo] and Ice Age on the World of Magic the Gathering [Armada/Acclaim])
- 1997 Will Eisner Comic Industry Awards - Winner - Best Penciller/Inker or Penciller/Inker Team: (for exclusively his own work on The Book of Ballads and Sagas [Green Man Press] and Sandman #75 [DC/Vertigo])
- 2001 Will Eisner Comic Industry Awards - Nominee - Best Painter/Multimedia Artist: (Rose #1 (Cartoon Books))
- 2002 Will Eisner Comic Industry Awards - Winner - Best Painter/Multimedia Artist: (Rose (Cartoon Books))
The Adventures of Browser and Sequoia (1999)
#1 All American Comics (1994)
- 'Sequoia's First Hunt'
#4 The Amazing Spider-Man (1963)
Blood of Dracula (1987)
Blueberry Girl (2009)
The Book of Ballads and Sagas (1996)
The Book of Night (1987)
The Books of Faerie: Molly's Story (1999)
- 'I libri della magia capitolo III: La terra del crepuscolo d'estate'
#1 Books of Magic (1990)
- 'Iron and Thorn'#3
- 'Tearing Off Their Wings'#4
- 'The Importance of Being Evil'
#3 The Books of Magic (1994)
- 'The Land of Summer's Twilight'
2017 Edition TPB vol. 01 The Cats of Tanglewood Forest (2013)
Charles Vess : from the 1970's to 1996 (1997)
- 'The Books of Magic Book One'Annual 03
- 'A Thousand Deaths of Timothy Hunter'PreviewTPB vol. 01
- 'Bindings, Book 1: Tearing Down'#1 (Silver Cover)
- 'Bindings, Book 1: Tearing Down'#2
- 'Bindings, Book 2: A Book of Leaves'#3
- 'Bindings, Book 3: Closing Circles'#4
- 'Bindings, Epilogue: Lost Causes'#5
- 'The Hidden School'#6
- 'Sacrifices, Part 1: Instruments'#7
- 'Sacrifices, Part 2: Victims'#8
- 'Sacrifices, Part 3: Altars'#9
- 'The Artificial Heart, Book 1: Handmedowns of the Ragged School'#10
- 'The Artificial Heart, Book 2: Bleak Houses, Hard Times'#11
- 'The Artificial Heart, Book 3: The Climbing Boy'#12
- 'Small Glass Worlds, Part 1: Missing Colors'#13
- 'Small Glass Worlds, Part 2: Transparent Lies'#14
- 'What Fire Leaves Us'#66
- 'A Day, a Night & a Dream, Part 1'
SC Cheval Noir (1989)
A Circle of Cats (2003)
The Comics Journal (1977)
- 'Charles Vess : from the 1970's to 1996'SC (Third Printing)
- 'Charles Vess : from the 1970's to 1996'
#218 Conan the King (1984)
- 'Trilogy Interview Issue'
#24 Daredevil (1964)
Dark Horse Presents (1986)
De Spektakulaire Spiderman (1979)
De Spektakulaire Spiderman Extra (1984)
Die Bücher der Magie (1996)
Die Bücher der Magie (1998)
- 'Fragments: A Witch's Tale'
#3 Die Spinne (1980)
- 'Das Land des Sommerzwielichts'#5
- 'Bannkreise Teil 1'#5 (Variant Cover-Edition)
- 'Bannkreise Teil 1'#6
- 'Bannkreise Teil 2'#7
- 'Die verborgene Schule'#8
- 'Das künstliche Herz'#10
- 'Kleine Welten aus Glas'
#120 Die Spinne Comic-Album (1979)
Drawing Down the Moon: The Art of Charles Vess (2009)
- 'Die Sünden Der Väter'#138
- 'Besuch beim Kingpin'
HC Edderkoppen (1984)
Essential Web Of Spider-Man (2011)
The Forbidden Book (2001)
Graphic Marvel (1990)
- 'Drawing Down the Moon: The Art of Charles Vess'SC
- 'Drawing Down the Moon: The Art of Charles Vess'
#10 Graphic Novel (1988)
- 'O Homem-Aranha: Espíritos da terra'
#13 Hämähäkkimies / Spider-Man (1980)
- 'A bandeira do corvo'
#1 The Horns of Elfland (1979)
Ice Age on the World of Magic: The Gathering (1995)
- 'Der letzte Kampf mit Peter Pan'
#1 Instructions (2010)
L'étonnant Spider-Man (1969)
- 'The Twilight Kingdom'#2
- 'The Frozen Dead'#3
- 'The Shard'#4
- 'Forever Silent the World'
#166 L'Uomo Ragno (1987)
The Marquis: Danse Macabre (2000)
Marvel Comic Exklusiv (1987)
- 'Les fautes de mon pere!'
#13 Marvel Comics Presents (1988)
Marvel Fanfare (1982)
Marvel Graphic Novel (1982)
Marvel Super Heroes Role Playing Game (1984)
- 'Die Spinne: Im Reich der Nebelgeister'
MHAC7 Modern Masters (2003)
Mythen und Sagen (1992)
- 'Concrete Jungle'
OGN HC vol. 02 Mythic Coloring Book (2015)
- 'Das Raben Banner - Das Tal von Asgard'#2
- 'Das Raben Banner - Das Tal von Asgard'
SC Neil Gaiman and Charles Vess' A Fall of Stardust (1999)
Neil Gaiman and Charles Vess' Stardust (1997)
- 'Mythic Coloring Book'
#9 Outposts (1987)
The Pirates of Dark Water (1991)
Play Special (1990)
- '(Tell Me) Who Do You Love?'
#16 Rose (2000)
Snow, Glass, Apples (1994)
The Spectre (1987)
- 'The Amazing Spider-Man: Gli spiriti della terra'#21
- 'Raven Banner: Una saga Asgardiana'
#13 The Spectre (1992)
Spider-Man and Zoids (1986)
- 'Major Arcana: Two Jimmy's Wings'#14
- 'Major Arcana Part 3: Seeing Smoke'#15
- 'The Twenty Third Trump'
#16 Spider-Man: Spirits of the Earth (1990)
- 'The Krark Offensive'#22
- 'The Zoidaryan Blues'
OGN HC Spider-Man: The Complete Alien Costume Saga (2014)
Spider-Man: The Graphic Novels (2012)
Starchild : Crossroads (1995)
Swamp Thing (1985)
- 'Spider-Man: Spirits of the Earth'
Annual 07 Tales from the Heart (1987)
Thor: The Warriors Three (2010)
- 'A Child's Garden Revisited'#121
- 'Laissez Les Bon Temps Rulers'#129
- 'Swamp Fever'#130
- 'Home Sick'#131
- 'Folk Remedy'#132
- 'Home Body'#133
- 'Daisy Chain'#134
- 'She's Leaving Houma'#135
- 'Marital Problems'#136
- 'Dead Relatives!'#138
- 'And in the End...'#139
- 'The Mind Fields, Part Two'
HC Top BD (1983)
- 'Thor: The Warriors Three'
#23 The Transformers (1984)
Trilogy Tour (1997)
Trilogy Tour II (1998)
True Believers: Venom - Symbiosis (2018)
- 'Spider-Man: Esprits de la Terre'
#1 Tumbleweed Baby (2014)
The Tundra Sketchbook Series (1991)
- ''Til Death Do Us Part!'
#5 Vertigo Rave (1994)
Walking Through the Landscape of Faerie (2016)
- 'Charles Vess Sketchbook'
OGN HC Web of Spider-Man (1985)
Web van Spiderman (1985)
- 'Walking Through the Landscape of Faerie'