Djurdjevic (pronounced approximately "d-your-d-yeh-vik") was born January 24th, 1979 in a small town in Germany. As a child he exhibited a talent for drawing, inspired by cartoons such as He-Man. His environment as a youth was somewhat stifling, however. Visual art was not encouraged in his household, and so Djurdjevic was forced to teach himself how to develop his abilities. As a boy he was unaware that other artists he admired often used pictures and photos to draw inspiration from, assuming that they made it up out of their heads. This later contributed to his not using any references in his work process, relying on a visual library that was developed through memorization. When Marko was 11, he discovered Burne Hogarth's book Dynamic Anatomy (1958), a major turning point in his self-education. Studying the guide for two years, Djurdjevic then put the book away and began to add a layer of realism to his drawings. He used what he learned from Hogarth as a foundation, while at the same time pulling ideas from his everyday life observations.
As a teenager, Djurdjevic became influenced by American comic books such as Spider-Man, a foreshadowing of his later career as a Marvel Comics illustrator. He rejected the comic style of drawing a couple of years later, citing it as "too stylized" and "exaggerated", which was contrary to his training early on. At the age of 17, Marko began working professionally as an illustrator. He mostly produced black and white drawings for tabletop rpg companies such as White Wolf, Inc. and FanPro Games.
Djurdjevic continued working in Germany as an illustrator for the next few years, building upon his personal style which took on an almost sketch-like quality while retaining anatomical accuracy. He was convinced by a friend to begin posting some of his designs and pictures on a relatively new online art community called conceptart.org. He gained immediate recognition for his ability to conjure extremely believable figures from his imagination in a short amount of time. Djurdjevic's popularity was noticed by the founding members of conceptart.org, Jason Manley and Andrew Jones. The two had been creating a network of friends through their website, and were in the process of forming a company devoted to producing high quality concept art for videogame companies and the film industry. Djurdjevic was offered a position in the group as a senior concept artist, focusing on human character and creature design. He accepted and became one of the original members of the company now known as Massive Black.
Massive Black started off as a group of professionals who collaborated over the internet. As more projects developed, the company was forced to create a physical headquarters in San Francisco, California. Djurdjevic left his home country and moved to the U.S., where he resided for the next 3 1/2 years. During this time, the conceptart.org community leaders and professional instructors began to hold workshops in various locations, with the intention of teaching fledgling artists directly. This served as a way of connecting with the artistic community that the website had formed on a more intimate level. Through the events, Djurdjevic garnered attention as a generous, and enthusiastic teacher. He many times stated how important teaching was to him, never having had a teacher when he was younger. Marko's prolific nature, hard work ethic, and emphasis on quality turned him into an extremely popular artist within the industry and on the conceptart.org's forums.
In 2004, Marko was contacted by Christian Gunther to work on a post-apocalyptic themed rpg known as Degenesis. Gunther has previously released the game in 2001, but it received little attention. Gunther was hoping that a revision of the game, along with a strong artistic direction, would give the game a larger audience. Djurdjevic was commissioned to design most of the game's look, as well as the bulk of it's interior artwork and character designs. This project allowed Djurdjevic to showcase his ability to create original, yet believable worlds on a large scale. He quickly became associated with the style of the characters in the game, with their asymmetrical designs, horrific themes, and focus on gesture. Marko often stated that the post-apocalyptic genre was his favorite genre to work in.
Djurdjevic continued to work in California as a concept artist for the next few years. Massive Black was now the concept industry's leader in terms of production and quality. The founders of the conceptart.org website decided to start developing tutorial dvd's that could be sold to the general public, with the profits going back into the community to help support it. Marko was asked to be the first artist to produce a dvd, showcasing his process and intuitive ability to create game characters from start to finish. He accepted. Around this time, Marko ( at the urging of his friend Nic Klein), re-created 18 characters from a long-time favorite series of theirs, the X-Men. Djurdjevic finished the drawings in a mere three days, and posted them on the conceptart.org forums. The response was huge, and Marko was immediately flooded with fan and hate mail over the creations. The designs increased his popularity online, and the characters were eventually discovered by an editor working at Marvel Comics. The sketches were well-received by the company, so they contacted Djurdjevic and offered him an exclusive contract to produce illustrations for some of their title's covers. He accepted the offer after producing a test cover for the series X-23.
Unknown to the community that had helped skyrocket his popularity, Djurdjevic had fallen in love with an artist named Jelena. The opportunity to sustain himself through his illustration work with Marvel caused Marko to give up his job as a concept artist for Massive Black and move back to Germany to be with his girlfriend. The two were married shortly after his return to Europe. At the end of 2006, Massive Black released the dvd Character Ideation, which was well-received by critics and artists alike. This event cemented Djurdjevic as a world-renowned artist.
Date of Birth:
January 24th, 1979
Website: http://www.sixmorevodka.com/Blog: http://sixmorevodka.blogspot.com/Twitter: http://twitter.com/sixmorevodkaMySpace: http://www.myspace.com/sixmorevodka Favorite Creators:
Marko Djurdjevic is a favorite creator of 38 users
100% Marvel (2003)
#57 Age Of Heroes (2010)
Age of Ultron (2013)
Aladdin: Legacy Of The Lost (2010)
Amazing Spider-Man Presents: American Son (2010)
- 'Captain America - Super-Soldier'
#1 The Amazing Spider-Man (1963)
The Astonishing Spider-Man (2009)
- 'A Patriot Act'#2
- 'The Other Son'#3
- 'Side Effects'#4
- 'American Slayed'
#40 Astonishing X-Men (2004)
Atlas: Marvel Boy (2010)
- 'The Body Electric!'#45
- 'Spidey Vs Venom!'#47
- 'Rhino Hunt!'#80
- 'A fear itself chapter'#81
- 'A fear itself chapter'#82
- 'A fear itself chapter'
TPB Avengers (2010)
Avengers Academy (2010)
Avengers Origins: Ant-Man & the Wasp (2012)
Avengers Origins: Luke Cage (2012)
Avengers Origins: The Scarlet Witch & Quicksilver (2012)
Avengers Origins: Thor (2012)
Avengers Origins: Vision (2012)
Avengers Prime (2010)
Avengers: Scarlet Witch (2015)
Black Panther (2009)
- 'Marvel Boy: The Uranian'
TPB vol. 01 Cable (2008)
- 'Undead Again'TPB vol. 02
- 'Sins Of The Father'#1
- 'Splinter Group'#2
- 'Bargains In Time'#3
- 'The Accused'#4
- 'Morton's Fork'#5
- 'Vendetta's Echo'#6
- 'Two Chambers'#7
- 'The Mithridates Process'#8
- 'Unintended Consequences'#9#10
- 'A Night For Destiny'#12
- 'A Stake Through The Heart'
HC vol. 04 Captain America (1968)
Captain America (2005)
Captain America (2011)
Captain America (Mexico) (2009)
Chaos War: Ares (2011)
Comic Shop News (1987)
Daily Bugle (2006)
- 'Homecoming'TPB vol. 04
- 'Homecoming'#4 (Marko Djurdjevic Variant)
- 'War Baby: Chapter 4'#21
- 'Homecoming, Part One - Chapter One: The Long Sleep'#22
- 'Homecoming, Part Two - Chapter Four: Mannahatta'#23
- 'Homecoming, Part Three - Chapter Six: Girls with Guns'#24
- 'Homecoming, Conclusion - Chapter Eight: The Battle of Central Park'
#12 Daken: Dark Wolverine (2010)
- 'What Would You Do With One More Day'
#500 Daredevil (1998)
- 'The Return of the King, Conclusion'
Annual 01 Daredevil: Blood of the Tarantula (2008)
- 'Devil May Care'Omnibus HC vol. 03
- 'Daredevil by Ed Brubaker & Michael Lark Vol. 01'Omnibus HC vol. 04
- 'Daredevil by Ed Brubaker & Michael Lark Vol. 02'TPB vol. 16
- 'Hell To Pay: Volume 1'TPB vol. 18
- 'Cruel & Unusual'TPB vol. 19
- 'Lady Bullseye'TPB vol. 20
- 'Return of the King'Ultimate Collection TPB vol. 06
- 'By Ed Brubaker and Michael Lark Ultimate Collection Book 3'#95
- 'To the Devil, His Due: Part 1'#96
- 'To the Devil, His Due: Part 2'#96 (2nd Printing)
- 'To the Devil, His Due: Part 2'#97
- 'To the Devil, His Due: Part 3'#98
- 'To the Devil, His Due: Part 4'#99
- 'To the Devil, His Due: Part 5'#100
- 'Without Fear: Part 1'#101
- 'Without Fear: Part 2'#102
- 'Without Fear: Part 3'#103
- 'Without Fear: Part 4'#103 (Newsstand Edition)
- 'Without Fear: Part 4'#104
- 'Without Fear: Part 5'#105
- 'Without Fear: Part 6'#105 (Newsstand Edition)
- 'Without Fear: Part 6'#106
- 'Sympathy For The Devil'#106 (Newsstand Edition)
- 'Sympathy For The Devil'#107
- 'Cruel & Unusual: Part 1'#108
- 'Cruel & Unusual: Part 2'#109
- 'Cruel & Unusual: Part 3'#110
- 'Cruel & Unusual: Part 4'#111
- 'Lady Bullseye, Part One'#112
- 'Lady Bullseye, Part Two'#112 (Zombie Variant)
- 'Lady Bullseye, Part Two'#113
- 'Lady Bullseye, Part Three'#114
- 'Lady Bullseye, Part Four'#115
- 'Lady Bullseye, Conclusion'#116
- 'Return of the King: Prologue: On the Costa da Morte'#117
- 'The Return of the King, Part Two'#118
- 'The Return of the King, Part Three'#119
- 'The Return of the King, Part Four'
#1 Daredevil: Cage Match (2010)
Dark Avengers (2009)
Dark Reign Special: The Hood (2010)
Dark Reign: Fantastic Four (2009)
Dark Reign: The Hood (2009)
- 'Blood Of The Tarantula'
TPB#1 Dark Reign: The List - Avengers (2009)
Dark Tower: The Long Road Home (2008)
Dark Wolverine (2009)
Death Of Dracula (2010)
Doctor Voodoo: Avenger of the Supernatural (2009)
Fear Itself - Nackte Angst (2011)
- 'The Devil in the Details'#4
- 'Family Man'#5
- 'Chain of Command'
Prolog Fear Itself: Book Of The Skull (2011)
Fear Itself: Spider-Man (2011)
- 'Die Geschichte von Sin'
HC Fear Itself: The Home Front (2011)
Fear Itself: The Worthy (2011)
- 'Fear Itself: Spider-Man'TPB
- 'Fear Itself: Spider-Man'#2
- 'Day Two'#3
- 'Day Three'
#2 FF (2011)
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man (2005)
Generation Hope (2011)
Ghost Rider (2006)
- 'I'm the Juggernaut!!!'#3
- 'My Name is Titania.'#4
- 'Shades of Gray'#5
- 'By Design...'#6
- '-- Death Strikes Swiftly!'#7
- 'The Mud of Midgard...'#8
- 'The Monster Inside Me'
TPB vol. 05 Hämähäkkimies / Spider-Man (1980)
Hawkeye & Mockingbird (2010)
Hercules: The Knives of Kush (2009)
Heroic Age Previews (2010)
Howard The Duck Omnibus (2008)
Hulk Family: Green Genes (2009)
Hulk vs. Hercules: When Titans Collide (2008)
The Immortal Iron Fist (2007)
Incredible Hercules (2008)
The Incredible Hulk (1968)
Invincible Iron Man (2008)
Iron Man 2.0 (2011)
Iron Man/Die Rächer (2010)
- 'Hell Bent & Heaven Bound'#20
- 'Hell-Bent & Heaven-Bound, Part One'#21
- 'Hell-Bent & Heaven-Bound, Part Two'#22
- 'Hell-Bent & Heaven-Bound, Part Three'#22 (Skrull Variant Cover)
- 'Hell-Bent & Heaven-Bound, Part Three'#23
- 'Hell-Bent & Heaven-Bound, Part Four'#24
- 'God Don't Live on Cell Block D, Part One'#25
- 'God Don't Live on Cell Block D, Part Two'#26
- 'The Former Things, Part 1: The Second Coming of Daniel Ketch'#26 (Monkey Variant)
- 'The Former Things, Part 1: The Second Coming of Daniel Ketch'#27
- 'The Former Things, Part 2: Requiem for a Caretaker'#29
- 'Last Stand of the Spirits of Vengeance, Chapter 2'
nn Marvel Boy: The Uranian (2010)
- 'Iron Man plus die Rächer'
#1 Marvel Calendar (2009)
Marvel Exklusiv (1998)
- 'Call Me ... The Uranian!'#2#3
#79 Marvel Illustrated: The Man in the Iron Mask (2007)
Marvel Legends (2007)
Marvel Mix-Tape: SDCC 2010 (2010)
- 'Thor - Zeit des Donners '#103
- 'Avengers Legenden'#108
#1 Marvel Previews (2003)
Marvel Spotlight: X-Men: Messiah Complex (2008)
- 'Secret Histories, Part One'
#1 The Marvel Tarot (2007)
Marvel Two-In-One (2007)
Marvel Vampires Poster Book (2010)
Marvel's Mightiest Heroes (2013)
Marvelman Family's Finest (2010)
The Mighty Avengers (2007)
The Mighty World Of Marvel (2009)
- 'Blinded by the Light'
#17 Ms. Marvel (2006)
Mystic Arcana (2007)
Mystic Arcana: Black Knight (2007)
Mystic Arcana: Magik (2007)
Mystic Arcana: Scarlet Witch (2007)
Mystic Arcana: Sister Grimm (2008)
New Avengers (2005)
New Avengers (2010)
New Avengers: Luke Cage (2010)
- 'To Battle The Fantastic Four!'
TPB New Mutants (2009)
Nowhere Man (2012)
Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe: Mystic Arcana - The Book of Marvel Magic (2007)
Secret Avengers (2010)
Secret Invasion Aftermath: Beta Ray Bill - The Green of Eden (2009)
Secret Invasion Chronicles (2009)
The Sensational Spider-Man (2006)
Shrapnel: Aristeia Rising (2009)
Siege Prelude (2009)
Siege: Battlefield (2010)
Siege: Captain America (2010)
Siege: Loki (2010)
Siege: Secret Warriors (2010)
Siege: Spider-Man (2010)
Siege: Young Avengers (2010)
Spider-Man: One More Day (2008)
Spider-Man: The Osborn Identity (2010)
- 'Town Without Pity'
TPB Steve Rogers: Super-Soldier (2010)
- 'The Osborn Identity'
#4 Super-Villain Team-Up: MODOK's 11 (2007)
- 'Revolution: Chapter 4'
TPB#2 Target X-Men: First Class - New Beginnings (2007)
Thanos Rising (2013)
Thor Giant-Size Finale (2010)
Thor God-Size Special (2009)
- 'Prevenge, or: "The Plan"'#3
- 'Where the Money Is, or: "The Job"'#4
- 'Death From Virtue, or "The Getaway"'#5
- 'How Not To Be Good, or "The Payoff"'
#1 Thor: Ages of Thunder (2008)
Thor: Man of War (2009)
Thor: Reign of Blood (2008)
Thor: Search for Odin (2008)
- 'The Death and Life of Skurge the Executioner'
nn Thunderbolts (1997)
Thunderbolts [GER] (2007)
- 'Collecting Thor #7-8'
#1 Thunderbolts: Breaking Point (2008)
Thunderbolts: Desperate Measures (2007)
Thunderbolts: International Incident (2008)
Thunderbolts: Reason in Madness (2008)
Ultimate Fallout (2011)
Ultimate Fantastic Four (2004)
Ultimate Spider-Man (2009)
- 'Vertrauen in Monster'#2
- 'Gefangene Engel'#3
- 'Gefangene Engel 2'
#1 (Variant) Uncanny X-Force (2010)
Uncanny X-Men (1963)
What If? Civil War (2008)
What If? House of M (2009)
- 'The New World According to Peter Parker: Part 1'
#1 What If? Secret Wars (2009)
What If? Spider-Man Back in Black (2009)
- 'What If...Scarlet Witch Ended the 'House of M' by Saying, "No More Powers?"'
#1 What If? World War Hulk (2010)
What If? X-Men Age of Apocalypse (2007)
- 'What If Mary Jane Had Been Shot Instead of Aunt May?'
#1 Wizard (1991)
Wolverine and Deadpool (2004)
- 'What If Legion Had Killed Xavier and Magneto?'
#166 Wolverine: Origins (2006)
Wolverine: The Best There Is (2011)
Wolverine: Weapon X (2009)
Wolverine/X-Men Special Edition Magazine (2008)
World War Hulk: Gamma Files (2007)
X-23 (II) (2010)
X-Men Legacy (2008)
X-Men: First Class (2006)
- 'Wolverine Versus Blade!'#167
- 'The Flames of War!'#168
- 'The Birth of Hydra!'
HC X-Men: First Class Magazine (2011)
X-Men: Hellbound (2010)
X-Men: Magneto Testament (2008)
- 'Tomorrow's Brightest'Target Magazine
- 'New Beginnings'TPB
- 'Tomorrow's Brightest'#1
- 'X-Men 101'#2
- 'The Bird the Beast and the Lizard'#3
- 'A Life of the Mind'#4
- 'Seeing Red'#5
- 'The Littlest Frost Giant'#6
- 'The S-Men'#7
- 'Who Wants to Date a Millionaire?'#8
- 'The Treasure Hunters'
HC X-O Manowar (2012)
- 'X-Men: Magneto Testament'TPB
- 'X-Men: Magneto Testament'#1
- 'Magneto: Testament, Part 1 of 5'#2
- 'Magneto: Testament, Part 2 of 5'#3
- 'Magneto: Testament, Part 3 of 5'#4
- 'Magneto: Testament, Part 4 of 5'#5
- 'Magneto: Testament, Part 5 of 5'
#12 Young Guns Sketchbook 2009 (2009)
Young Marvelman Classic (2011)
- 'Planet Death: Part Two'