"Your First Comic" Thread.

Moderators: DarthSkeptical, Fnord Serious, Chris, spid, Skyhawke, Darth Kramer, mikebo

forgottenandabsorbed

Re: "Your First Comic" Thread.

Postby forgottenandabsorbed » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:03 pm

I am not certain it was my very first comic, but the first comic I remember buying was Gambit and the X-ternals #1.

My family was very poor so I only ever got to buy comics on my birthday. My parents would give me $20 to go to Dark Horse Comics in my home state. I remember reading that comic over and over and hoping that one day I would have the rest of the series. As I grew up, I lost the few comics that I had (I moved around a lot in my teens), but I never forgot Gambit and the X-ternals.

Then two Christmases ago, my wife surprised me with the series. I started collecting comics again and now I am trying to go back and collect all of the (many) issues I missed out on as a kid. Anyway, sorry for the biography, I am loving the site and can't wait to contribute :)

Uthor

Postby Uthor » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:40 pm

I have, somewhere, the gold foil TPB version of Gambit and the X-Ternals. It is one of the most 90's things I own and I love it.

(Still think Age of Apocalypse is great and the Gambit books is a highlight for me.)

http://www.comicbookdb.com/issue.php?ID=84319

Viper87

Postby Viper87 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:39 am

The first comic I ever remember me parents buying me was this:

Spectacular Spider-Man v1 #187

Other issues I remember getting at an early age, although can't remember the exact order of purchase are:

Tickerpop

Postby Tickerpop » Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:01 am

My very 1st Comic was This one.

My 1st Comic Ever 1.jpg
My 1st Comic Purchase
My 1st Comic Ever 1.jpg (221.06 KiB) Viewed 4867 times

The Walking Dead Issue #22. Signed by Charlie Adlard. The only reason I even began collecting comics was simply because of an AMC TV series that totally blew me away. Once I watched the pilot episode for The Walking Dead that was all it took. I have always loved the Zombie Genre but once I watched The Walking Dead a whole new love for comics emerged. In the first few weeks it was simply The Walking Dead Comics that I would collect. I would get them from my local comic shop and eBay and anywhere else I could get them. After a few trips to my local shop I began to peruse the new stuff they would get in and I found that there were some really good horror/zombie type comics so I picked a couple up. After 5 months I've found that I amassed almost 800 comics and my passion doesn't seem to be waning. I absolutely love anything in the Zombie/Horror Genre, and I am constantly looking for the next NEW series to come out that will amaze me in some way or other.
On a different note, I want to thank the people responsible for this amazing site. While I have various Comic Book Database programs on my PC, I find that this site does something that none of my software can do and that is, link me to people who have the same passion and desire that I do and give me the ability to meet and talk to them about something I love so passionately. So, Thank You ComicBookDB for bringing me . . . HERE!

It's a pleasure to meet each and every one of you. I look forward to getting to know a lot of you over time.
Tick

"How's that for a slice of Fried Gold!"
http://www.comicbookdb.com/collection.php?ID=63509

Nyvolet

Postby Nyvolet » Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:28 pm

It could be Spirou & Fantasio
but it also could be Prince Valiant.
Attachments
spirou02hs.JPG
spirou02hs.JPG (50.2 KiB) Viewed 4221 times

cjkerry

Postby cjkerry » Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:46 pm

The first comic I bought was a 25 cent Dell comic featuring the Flintstones. However I can't find it in the site's database. I searched under Dell Giants and under The Flintstones and neither produced what I was looking for. My second comic was Clayface's second appearance (the second Clayface not the first one, I am not that old). I don't have either of those books, they never made it from Quebec to Ontario.

dbutler69

Postby dbutler69 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:15 pm

I think my first comic was Road Runner #55 (from 1974) and my first superhero comic was either Fantastic Four #172 or World's Finest Comics #236.

RebeccaBond

Postby RebeccaBond » Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:46 am

hello everyone, I'm new in this forum site.

Not sure, but i think my first comic book was "Diary of a Minecraft Steve". :)

Beyonder

Postby Beyonder » Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:03 pm

My 1st Comic Issue was the original Dr.Strange comics with The Living Tribunal debut.

Woolbright

Postby Woolbright » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:32 am

Beyondeer wrote:My 1st Comic Issue was the original Dr.Strange comics with the testosterone boosters web reviews Living Tribunal debut.

Mine was the first Deadpool comic. They're still my favs.
Last edited by Woolbright on Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:20 am, edited 2 times in total.

maxxplank

Postby maxxplank » Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:22 pm

Hi everyone,

when i saw this thread i felt it was a great place to engage the community as a newbie.

Personally, trying to go back to my original love for comic books might be a challenge, since i was very young when i start "reading" comic books. In fact, i didn't know how to really read yet so i just looked at the images and then cut them into 2D action figures that i played with on the floor.

But in my adult return to comic books, I'd say the most important comic series was the Star Wars Clone Wars by Dark Horse. This series was in my opinion far better than the movies and arguably even better than the animated series. It introduced epic characters like Quinlan Vos, Aayla Secura and Asajj Ventress, while deepening the story of the clone wars in ways the movies couldn't.

In terms of super heroes, THE series that fully got me back into Marvel is Age of Ultron. To me this arc was absolutely epic:

Not just a geek... a super villain geek!

prime25

Postby prime25 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:47 pm

Is this the first comic that you ever got or the first comic that you got from a series that you keep? Most people in the UK would have got stuff like Dandy, Eagle etc but they get thrown out.

Mulford

Postby Mulford » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:56 am

This is exactly what I was thinking too. I've been in touch with the comics world since my early childhood and I don't even remember which comic was my first because they weren't that memorable I guess.

Return to “General Discussion”