"Your First Comic" Thread.

Moderators: DarthSkeptical, Fnord Serious, Chris, spid, Skyhawke, Darth Kramer, mikebo

angeltread

"Your First Comic" Thread.

Postby angeltread » Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:42 am

just thought it would be interesting to see and read the stories of comic fans' first comic(s).

so here are the rules... post the cover(s). tell the story of how/why/where/when you got it and the impression it made on you.

so here is mine....
although i have a definate first comic... i consider three comics to really be the foundation to my comic first steps...

Amazing Spider-Man #255
this was my first comic. it came out in 1984. my dad bought it somewhere (idk where) and gave it to me probably in like 1987 or so. i remember looking through the pictures and thinking they were cool looking but i never actually read it all the way through.

fast forward to 1989. i was feeling super sick one night with stomach cramps. my mom was fearful that i was going to have an Appendicitis so she puts me in the car to take me to the emergency room. on our way there i burp big and immediately feel better. we get to parking lot and i feel completely fine. so we return home. while away my dad ran to the store to get some asprin or something and when he was there he bought me this issue because he felt sorry for me for feeling so sick.
Fantastic Four #325
this time i actually read it and thought it was awesome. i dug out the other issue my dad bought be years ago (asm255) and read that one finnally and thought it was even better...

so the next time at the grocery store i actually looked at the comics and bought (by myself) my first (3rd) comic.
Amazing Spider-Man #314
i was amazed by the artwork in this one. todd mcfarlane quickly became my favorite (not now, but definatly back then)...

i was hooked from there on out. i now have over 3000 issues (and TPB, HC's)
Last edited by angeltread on Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Merrik

Postby Merrik » Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:27 am

My first comic ever:

I was out camping with the family and some friends of the family. A couple of the kids would buy comics off and on. They didn't really buy a lot, but loved the ones they bought. One of the ones they had there was West Coast Avengers Annual #2. I was fairly young at the time (only about seven or so), and even though one of the kids let me read it, I had to be VERY careful with it. :lol:

I was absolutely blown away. I barely knew who any of the characters were, why they were fighting each other if they were good guys, and why this punk Wonder Man was giving Thor such a hard time in a fight. :lol:

The only problem I had with it, was that I was annoyed that all the female heroes lost to the male heroes they were fighting against. I remember thinking "A girl hulk lost to a guy in a purple suit who shoots arrows?? That's crazy!" (and still today, I think "holy sexism Batman!" when re-reading the issue :lol: ).

When we went into the small town outside of the camping area the next day, they had the issue on a spinner rack, and my mom was cool enough to buy it for me.

The rest is history I guess they say. I still have that particular issue. It's ripped completely to shit, the cover is stapled back on by me, but it's still bagged and boarded with the rest of my collection. Priceless to me. It started my love of comics, my love of the Avengers, and of my favorite character (She-Hulk). I did eventually buy another copy though. :P

ironfist

Postby ironfist » Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:43 pm

Thor Annual 14 - Atlantic Attacks Event Tie-In in 1989

It was at a supermarket (remember when comics were sold there?). I remember walking by as a little kid and becoming memorized by the picture of Thor, Quasar, Thing and Doctor Strange on the Cover. My parents picked up the copy and I started to look for the other tie-in issues for Atlantis Attacks. I miss the Marvel summer events across all the annuals!!!!

Then my dad brought me to a local comic shop in NJ and my mouth dropped by all the silver age comics displayed on the wall. The owner told me that if I brought in my recent grade report from school, he would give me a 10% discount if I received A's in class.

Within a month, I brought in my new grade report and picked up the following....my first Silver Age comic

The rest was history

brennivin

Postby brennivin » Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:50 am

I don't really remember my 'first' book, but I remember the first books that mattered to me ...

I had the random odd and end superhero books of the early 80's, none of them are really sticking out, but I do recall ...

... The Secret Wars

This sort of marked the end of my interest in superheros. Not sure why, but I just wasn't caring so much at this point. Though I do recall thinking Spiderman's costume really should've been black from the start ;)

It was shortly after this I found the comics that REALLY grabbed me and defined my particular type of fandom. Neither book featured a 'superhero' per se. But sort of anti-heroes, without any real super powers.

First was just a man driven by anger, and armed to the teeth, how could you not love ...

The Punisher

My 13 year old self probably just thought "bad-ass" but in retrospect I think I was already looking for something other than the usual bif bam pow. Which of course took me to even stranger places.

I've been an artist from an early age and I was a big Patrick Nagel fan. So the Pander brothers artwork for Matt Wagner was probably what drew me to the only books I've still got from then ...

Grendel

Not only a totally unique book in concept, but the idea that different artists were brought in to illustrate the different 'Grendels' struck me, even then, as brilliant. And the directions it took, from the simple and human, to the metaphysical, old school noir, and science fiction realms opened my eyes to what comics could be, and eventually, to Vertigo comics.

Unfortunately that disinterest in superheros kept me from the Watchmen at first, but thanks to a friendly shopkeep I got over that :)

Indy
Silver Donor
Silver Donor

Postby Indy » Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:46 pm

How are you guys remembering your first book from that long ago? I just started a little over two years ago and I can't remember exactly what book was my first. Actually I probably bought a few at once during my first trip, probably X-Factor 1-8 and Civil War 1 if I remember correctly.

Manowar

Postby Manowar » Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:31 pm

LOL, I don't even know how to upload the comic cover on here but my first Comic book I ever bought was Thor #399. I had to buy #400 to see the story arc's conclusion. I went on to buy almost the whole collection after. Just missing a dozen of the 1962-1963 issues.

angeltread

Postby angeltread » Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:13 pm

Manowar wrote:LOL, I don't even know how to upload the comic cover on here but my first Comic book I ever bought was Thor #399. I had to buy #400 to see the story arc's conclusion. I went on to buy almost the whole collection after. Just missing a dozen of the 1962-1963 issues.

were not uploading at all... just using the database's cover urls...
here are yours.

so far all marvel....
being a marvelite myself i find that sweet.

bluelark

Postby bluelark » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:58 pm

The first comic I read was Spidey Super Stories #20.

The first comics I bought were Uncanny X-Men #168 and New Mutants #3. I bought these at the corner drug store right before a car trip, so I would have something to read on the way. I ended up picking up the entire run of new mutants, and have stayed on uncanny since. unfortunately, when I stopped collecting in the 90s, I sold off all my original uncanny's, so my current run is only from 300+

Fnord Serious
ComicBookDB.com Admin

Postby Fnord Serious » Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:35 am

I've always read comics in some form or another, newspaper strips, Peanuts collections, Mad Magazine, etc. The first comic book that I followed regularly was Transformers. I bought it whenever I saw it on the spinner rack at the neighborhood convenience stores or at the bookstores in town that carried comics. I looked up comic books in the phone book and found a comic book store within bicycle distance. I bought lots of Transformers back issues. The superhero comics looked interesting, but I didn't know where to start and stuck with my trusty Transformers comics. I can't remember which issue was my first, but this cover was particularly memorable:

In the summer of 1988, a friend gave me a copy of Uncanny X-Men #12 and I was hooked. Tons of interesting characters and lots of cool sci-fi concepts. It certainly didn't hurt that it had some great artwork.

I picked up all the other Evolutionary War Annuals which served as a nice sampler for the Marvel Universe. I also started buying Uncanny X-Men. I think #236 was the first issue I bought off the stands, followed by as many issues as I could afford of Uncanny out of the back issue bins.

I followed Uncanny up until about issue #300 when all of the nonsensical storytelling that resulted in the post-Claremont era made the book no fun for me to read anymore.

Atvar
Silver Donor
Silver Donor

Postby Atvar » Sun Sep 14, 2008 2:57 am

I was never much of a comic collector as a kid, I preferred my hot wheels. I think my first comic was this
That one of my aunts bought me as a present. But it certainly did not hook me.

Many years passed...

Then Fox started running Firefly, and all was good... until they canceled it. One of my co-workers mentioned that they were going to pick up a Firefly comic and would I like one too? More Firefly sure...

And now only a couple thousand comics later, I think I may have problem... :-)

http://www.comicbookdb.com/collection.php?ID=2647

Atvar

angeltread

Postby angeltread » Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:22 pm

jesus... 3500 comics since 2005ish... that is alot (for me to comprehend) of comics to buy in just 3/4 years. ive got just over 3000 in like 20 minus a few couple year gaps.

randin
Silver Donor
Silver Donor

Postby randin » Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:36 pm

Yeah, I got back into comics May 2000 when issue 7 of Rising Stars came out. Since then my collection has grown to neary 6200 - It'll be over when I pick up this weeks collection.

I blame JMS completely!

What I would do to have all my comics from the seventies back. All given away to family kids long, long ago.

Randin

http://comicbookdb.com/collection.php?ID=1181

Varrus

Postby Varrus » Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:06 am

The first comics I ever bought were:
Image Image

I'm pretty sure they weren't the first comics I'd read but they were the ones that made me fall in love with the comic book medium.

BillySpew

Postby BillySpew » Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:42 pm

Other than hundreds of comics like Beano & Dandy, first one I bought myself was this from the local store:

necrogenesis

Postby necrogenesis » Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:47 am

Hey guys, this is a pretty cool site that I'm glad to have found. Anyway, it was the summer of 1991 when I got my first comic. I was 12 at the time, and my parents were taking my sister and I on vacation. I didn't have much to do during the long car ride, so when we stopped at a gas station, my parents encouraged me to buy a magazine or something to keep me entertained (probably for their sake as much as mine). I wasn't sure what to buy, but there were several comics available. I remembered enjoying the Spider-Man cartoons on TV as a kid, so I was drawn to his titles more than any other. After browsing through the selection, I ultimately decided on:

Marvel Tales 251 was a reprint of Amazing Spider-Man 100, which was the first part of a very popular 3-issue story. The ending of the first part was shocking (and still a classic), and I just had to find out what happened next!

I ended up buying the next two issues, but of course, I didn't stop there. That single story-line got me interested in the rest of Spidey's titles, and I was heavily into Spider-Man and Marvel Comics until the Clone Saga killed my interest in the late 90's. I haven't been into comics much since then, only picking up "The Other" storyline, which I didn't enjoy. But for some reason, my interest has been sparked again recently, and I've purchased a couple HUNDRED old issues of various series over the past few weeks on eBay. I'm not into the new books so much, but there are thousands of good books that I missed from the old days.

Return to “General Discussion”