How to store comics in bags, where does backing board go?

Moderators: DarthSkeptical, Fnord Serious, Chris, spid, Skyhawke, Darth Kramer, mikebo

AlanIoth

How to store comics in bags, where does backing board go?

Postby AlanIoth » Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:29 am

Hi Everyone,
I'm getting ready to re-bag my comics collection. Previously I did not use backing boards but now I've decided to give it a try.

But there seems to be a difference of opinion about where the boards go inside the bag. Some folks suggest the backing board should go behind the comic. At Bags Unlimited, they suggest that the board go inside, in the center of the comic. They say this prevents the spine from crushing.

http://www.bagsunlimited.com/savemycomics/index.htm

There are variations on this theme depending on what sorts of boards are used. I have the middle grade, "Standard Acid Free", 2.0 mil, which has a smooth white finish on one side and (looks like) bare cardboard on the other.

Given this type of board, should I place the board in back of the comic, white side against the back cover, or in the center of the comic? What's the latest consensus on the way this ought to be done?

Thanks for your time,
Big Al Ioth

Fnord Serious
ComicBookDB.com Admin

Postby Fnord Serious » Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:07 pm

I've always seen the boards put behind the book at every comic shop I've been to. All my books are bagged & boarded like that as well. I could see how putting the board in the middle of the book might help prevent spine roll, but then you have the question as to whether the uncoated side of the board will absorb ink from the comic or not.

I've never been too concerned about it as most of my collection is from the 80's onward and not likely to be ever worth a lot of money. If I were to win the lottery and start collecting golden and silver age comics, I would go with something more sturdy than the regular bags and boards, like the archival mylars from egerber.com.

Indy
Silver Donor
Silver Donor

Postby Indy » Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:47 pm

I actually double bag, put a comic on each side of the board. They stay up in the box better that way. The boards I use say they are only coated one side, but I can't tell one side from the other.

luckymustard

Postby luckymustard » Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:26 pm

my most recent batch of boards (100) i couldn't tell which side was which either, but the two before that (since I got back into comics) i could tell the difference. i figure they messed up and gave us double sided anyway.

as far as how i bag and board, i do it the same was as my preferred lcs where i have my pull list - board in back. another lcs doesn't have boards for their back issues, just bags. the way they fold the top flap inside the bag and extra sticky tape is really annoying when opening. eh, just wanted to vent a little, tx!

anyway, otherwise, with respect to your question i don't feel i have enough experience to help. maybe i'll think of something in the next couple days... i'll be back :)

AlanIoth

Postby AlanIoth » Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:28 pm

Fnord Serious wrote:I've always seen the boards put behind the book at every comic shop I've been to. All my books are bagged & boarded like that as well. I could see how putting the board in the middle of the book might help prevent spine roll, but then you have the question as to whether the uncoated side of the board will absorb ink from the comic or not.

I've never been too concerned about it as most of my collection is from the 80's onward and not likely to be ever worth a lot of money. If I were to win the lottery and start collecting golden and silver age comics, I would go with something more sturdy than the regular bags and boards, like the archival mylars from egerber.com.

Hi All,

These are all great ideas. I think with respect to double-bagging: since I have the boards with one side that's obviously finished white and the other isn't, I probably shouldn't be putting them inside the bag. Looks like my best bet of all this advice is to put the boards in back of the comic, white side against the back cover.

Thanks to Fnord Serious for that link. I've been having trouble finding anyone besides Bags Unlimited and BCW that do serious marketing of these kinds of supplies. Problem is that most of the others just re-sell Bags Unlimited and BCW products.

RE taping issues as brought up by luckymustard: this seems to be another area of discussion. I had been using old fashioned scotch tape to to stick the flaps to the outside back of the bag.

If I ever open the bag to take out the comic, I cut the tape at the flap line, check for stickiness which I also trim off, and pull the comic. After that I put the comic back in the bag and use a new piece of tape to secure the flap.

Also, if it's been a while since I pulled the comic, I re-bag it in a new bag and board.

Just some ideas. I'm open to suggestion on this as well.

Thanks again to all for your responses!

Have a good one,
Big Al Ioth

Fnord Serious
ComicBookDB.com Admin

Postby Fnord Serious » Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:32 am

Indy wrote:I actually double bag, put a comic on each side of the board. They stay up in the box better that way. The boards I use say they are only coated one side, but I can't tell one side from the other.

I do this with all my quarter bin books: 2 books back to back in a silver age bag. The newer stuff I buy goes in one to a bag. I have the idea that I will sell some of the newer runs on eBay and I don't want to rebag them later.

randin
Silver Donor
Silver Donor

Postby randin » Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:28 am

Instead of tape I use QuikStik self adhesive circles. They come on a roll in a box and can be easily peeled off and then re-used when you want to get at the comic.

I double bag with a board between the 2 issues. I find that the issues then sit (or stand) flat. I then put about 50 issues into a box which sits nicely on a bookshelf. Except for the longer runs I have which go into filing cabinets.

BatFan01

Postby BatFan01 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:50 pm

I've read about putting the board in the middle of the book when it's a flip-book or wrap-around cover so the back can be viewed. I place my boards behind the book. I would think placing it inside exposes the spine to the edge of the bag without the buffer zone of the board protecting it.

Re: double bagging: oh, the good old days when I was a wee lad who could barely afford his comics let alone bags (boards were an extravagance!). How's this, I used to double bag using freezer bags! These were the real thin flat freezer bags. You turned the bag where the opening was on the right side and slid the comic(s) in spine first. There was about 5" of bag remaining that could be folded over in the back and about 1" at the top. Both of these flaps were taped. Talk about a sealed bag. These bags could also hold an entire 12 issue maxi-series for a garage sale. My mom was always wondering why her freezer bags were disappearing so quickly.

I have learned over the years to not go cheap with the tape. Always use good Scotch tape and not that yellowish kind, it's only good for gift wrapping. Some say don't tape but I find it difficult to thumb through a collection where the flaps are not secured.

I'm considering having some of my complete collections (Starman, Sandman Mystery Theatre) library bound. http://www.librarybinding.com/ Heard about it on 11 O'clock Comics Podcast. Sounds like the way to go.

Fnord Serious
ComicBookDB.com Admin

Postby Fnord Serious » Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:26 am

BatFan01 wrote:I'm considering having some of my complete collections (Starman, Sandman Mystery Theatre) library bound. http://www.librarybinding.com/ Heard about it on 11 O'clock Comics Podcast. Sounds like the way to go.

The guys at Comic Geek Speak are really big on Library Binding as well. They have a whole section of their forum devoted to discussion on the topic:

CGS Comic Binding Forum

Merrik

Postby Merrik » Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:11 am

BatFan01 wrote:I have learned over the years to not go cheap with the tape. Always use good Scotch tape and not that yellowish kind, it's only good for gift wrapping. Some say don't tape but I find it difficult to thumb through a collection where the flaps are not secured.

Blegh. That cheap yellowish/brownish/beigeish tape is horrible. My LCS still uses it on all their back issues. Whenever I purchase any, I don't chance actually pulling the tape off the bag (it's such a pain in the ass and sticks like it's cemented to the bag, that I've actually damaged the spine of a few comics trying to remove it) I actually cut through that shit. I always use the "invisible" scotch tape. The stuff that disappears on present wrapping and such. I find it pulls off with no problems while managing to stay securely stuck to the flap of the bag.

As for my own collection. I'm a one bag, one backboard, one comic kind of guy. Keep them all stored in long boxes as they're convenient and cheap (really, to buy something like filing cabinets for me would put my collecting days out of business).

Merrik

Postby Merrik » Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:19 am

Fnord Serious wrote:
BatFan01 wrote:I'm considering having some of my complete collections (Starman, Sandman Mystery Theatre) library bound. http://www.librarybinding.com/ Heard about it on 11 O'clock Comics Podcast. Sounds like the way to go.

The guys at Comic Geek Speak are really big on Library Binding as well. They have a whole section of their forum devoted to discussion on the topic:

CGS Comic Binding Forum

Thanks for that link. It's interesting to see how some of it turned out.

They look good, I just don't think I could ever bring myself to do it. I'm just too anal about that stuff. I'd feel like I was defacing the book or something. :P That and I could see a few problems arising from it. In the gallery thread, there's a gent who had all his Civil War books bound in his preferred reading order. Just skimming the list, I noticed She-Hulk #8 wasn't included (probably my favorite issue of the entire Civil War event). Let's say in two years, he decides to pick it up.... What now? Re-bind all the books (can you do that?). Take them apart and put them back in singles (can you do that? :lol: ). What if a stupid relative rips a page out and you need to replace that issue? Just too many personal issues for me. I'd feel the need to re-buy every issue I had bound just so I could have the singles as well. :lol:

AlanIoth

Postby AlanIoth » Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:19 pm

Fnord Serious wrote:
...I would go with something more sturdy than the regular bags and boards, like the archival mylars from
egerber.com.

Hi Fnord Serious,

I checked out Gerber and was pleasantly surprised by the prices. They charge about half what Bags Unlimited wanted for the same order of Mylar sleeves.

I still had to cut costs so I settled for 2 mil bags, the "medium" between 1 mil and 4 mil. Gerber had them at my door in 2 days, even with UPS ground.

Also, I'll have to go with the boards I already have from Bags Unlimited. Those are the "Acid Free", not "Super Acid Free". Alas, there's just no money in the budget for the Gerber half-back boards.

I'm almost 60 so I figure that should be enough protection for the books. The Embalmer will have to worry about rebagging everything, including me.

I wanted to thank you for that link to Gerber. They keep a pretty low profile, at least low enough to prevent me from finding them myself.

Have a good one,
Big Al Ioth

"I believe a leaf of grass
is no less than the journey-work of the stars."
--Walt Whitman

Fnord Serious
ComicBookDB.com Admin

Postby Fnord Serious » Sat Nov 01, 2008 12:08 am

AlanIoth wrote:I wanted to thank you for that link to Gerber. They keep a pretty low profile, at least low enough to prevent me from finding them myself.

I only know about Gerber due to the guys over at Comic Geek Speak. They are a group of guys in Pennsylvania who are prolific podcasters, putting out 4 shows a week of comic book talk. There are lots of good comic book podcasts out there. CGS was one of the first and still going strong.

AlanIoth

Postby AlanIoth » Sat Nov 01, 2008 12:21 am

Fnord Serious wrote:
AlanIoth wrote:I wanted to thank you for that link to Gerber. They keep a pretty low profile, at least low enough to prevent me from finding them myself.

I only know about Gerber due to the guys over at Comic Geek Speak. They are a group of guys in Pennsylvania who are prolific podcasters, putting out 4 shows a week of comic book talk. There are lots of good comic book podcasts out there. CGS was one of the first and still going strong.

That's another good link; plus there's a link on that page to the The Comics Forums.

I'm re-bagging comics I haven't seen in years, so the timing is good on all this.

With the value of some of these things (plus my old books) a lot higher than I thought it was, I'm beginning to wonder if I should get some kind of insurance on them. My homeowner's has a replacement cost clause, but that certainly won't cover the market price of collectibles unless I get some documentation and possibly some additional coverage.

I'll take this up in the comics forum - that seems like a more appropriate place for insurance questions.

Once again, thanks for the links!
Big Al Ioth

"I believe a leaf of grass
is no less than the journey-work of the stars."
--Walt Whitman

Fnord Serious
ComicBookDB.com Admin

Postby Fnord Serious » Sat Nov 01, 2008 12:34 am

The CGS guys host The Comic Forums and their section gets the most traffic. You would probably get the most responses if you post there.

What sources have you been looking at to determine the value of your books? The Overstreet Price Guide is the industry standard for pricing on older books. Grading is a very important factor to take into account. Take a look at the Read More link on the Grading paragraph for a basic breakdown.

Next

Return to General Discussion