New Feature: Indepth Discussions

Moderators: DarthSkeptical, Fnord Serious, Chris, spid, Skyhawke, Darth Kramer, mikebo

Chris
Cosmic Donor
Cosmic Donor

New Feature: Indepth Discussions

Postby Chris » Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:01 am

In our ever-expanding efforts to support the comic podcast community and enhance the partnerships that we have with the various podcasters out there, we have a new addition to the issue page. When a podcast does an episode on a specific book (whether it be a trade paperback or single issue), once we connect it to the issue in our site, there will be a new section in the issue page that says, "For an indepth discussion on this issue:" and contain a link to any podcasts that apply. Currently I have all of Comic Geek Speak's Book of the Month Club episodes in place. An example can be seen at:

Blankets

I'll be adding the CGS Footnotes episodes soon and then I have a handful of episodes that Half Hour Wasted has done on Batman: Year One, Watchmen and Umbrella Academy. I can definitely use tips on other podcasts that you know about who have done similar episodes.

When suggesting episodes to add, bear in mind that the episode has to be devoted to the issue/trade. For instance, Alter Ego ComicCast reviews a dozen or more books in one episode, all unrelated to one another except that they all came out in the same week. That's not what this is for - this is for a discussion devoted to the book in question.

As always, I'm open to suggestions on how to improve this. Let me know what you guys think.

Chris
Cosmic Donor
Cosmic Donor

Postby Chris » Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:37 pm

Right now I'm planning to stick to receiving suggestions through e-mail/PM or in the forums (this topic would be a great place for it). You could also submit a problem report for a specific issue, if you include the link to the podcast.

I had considered the possibility of creator interviews and am open to it, but it gets a bit messier, at least until we come up with decent solutions. For instance, it's a simple matter of adding a link to a creator's page if they have done a few interviews, but in the case of someone like Bendis, he's done probably at least 30 episodes with John alone. That would get to be a fairly lengthy list on the page when his comicography is already huge as it is.

I'll experiment with the expanding code that we use to save on space, but if I do open it up for creator interviews, I'm going to have to build functionality for people to add the episodes themselves, since there will be -far- too many to do by myself (which is currently not a problem for issue-specific podcasts).

spid

Postby spid » Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:03 pm

Neat feature. I thought I heard of some service that would allow some to post clips of a podcast, but that may have been vaporware.

GenioDiabolico

Postby GenioDiabolico » Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:13 pm

Comic Book Noise has a podcast feed that does this, generally. It's called the Reader Feed and allows people to do their own mini-shows devoted to a series. In many - but not every - case, an episode talks about a single issue. or a small set of issues.

http://thereaderfeed.blogspot.com/

If you want, I can break out which episodes do actually map to a single issue.

Chris
Cosmic Donor
Cosmic Donor

Postby Chris » Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:49 pm

GenioDiabolico wrote:If you want, I can break out which episodes do actually map to a single issue.

That would actually be really useful. The fastest way to get this data into the site would be to provide me the title and issue #(s), the episode name and the URL to the episode's page.

Chris
Cosmic Donor
Cosmic Donor

Postby Chris » Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:51 pm

Though after a quick look at the Reader Feed, is this just a feed that points to other podcasts? I know Darth Kramer's The Shade's Journal is its own podcast as is (I believe) Welcome to Heavenside. I would prefer to point to the actual podcast pages than a feed collecting them.

spid

Postby spid » Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:06 pm

I am not sure if this would qualify but Tom Katers does his Tom Vs the Flash formely Tom VS. the JLA where he breaks down one issue and goes over what happens. Here is the link.

http://tomvsjla.libsyn.com/index.php?po ... y=podcasts

GenioDiabolico

Postby GenioDiabolico » Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:45 pm

I didn't know that any of those Reader Feed shows had their own feeds. I thought they all existed only there. I'll sort this out and point some title/issue -> podcast mappings for you.

Chris
Cosmic Donor
Cosmic Donor

Postby Chris » Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:57 pm

Actually, the Tom Katers show brings up a good point. Do shows that have their episodes listed on libsyn end up losing their older shows as they add new ones? As an example, the first show for Tom's show is Tom vs. the JLA #163. My expectation is that this wasn't his first show, so where are the episodes that came before that? More importantly, if we link to this particular show, will it disappear tomorrow when he releases a new show and if so, does it become a dead link on our site?

nariman
Silver Donor
Silver Donor

Postby nariman » Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:04 pm

should we link to a show that reviews a number of different issues within a single show? I am referring to iFanboy where they review a number of issues that came out in the past week.
http://www.ifanboy.com/podcasts

Chris
Cosmic Donor
Cosmic Donor

Postby Chris » Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:57 pm

nariman wrote:should we link to a show that reviews a number of different issues within a single show? I am referring to iFanboy where they review a number of issues that came out in the past week.
http://www.ifanboy.com/podcasts

No, iFanboy has a similar format as Alter Ego and would follow the same logic mentioned in my original post.

Fnord Serious
ComicBookDB.com Admin

Postby Fnord Serious » Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:47 pm

As far as I'm aware, The Reeder Feed is a service provided by the Comic Book Noise guy for podcasters who don't want to set up their own iTunes account. So Matt's The Shade's Journal is self-produced by Matt, but posted to iTunes through the Reader Feed.

Chris wrote:Actually, the Tom Katers show brings up a good point. Do shows that have their episodes listed on libsyn end up losing their older shows as they add new ones? As an example, the first show for Tom's show is Tom vs. the JLA #163. My expectation is that this wasn't his first show, so where are the episodes that came before that? More importantly, if we link to this particular show, will it disappear tomorrow when he releases a new show and if so, does it become a dead link on our site?

Tom started blogging the JLA issues before he switched over to podcasting them. Looks like he covered issues #64 to 161 in print before he made the jump to audio. Don't know about issue #162. http://acmobile.blogspot.com/

Darth Kramer

Postby Darth Kramer » Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:02 am

Fnord Serious wrote:As far as I'm aware, The Reeder Feed is a service provided by the Comic Book Noise guy for podcasters who don't want to set up their own iTunes account. So Matt's The Shade's Journal is self-produced by Matt, but posted to iTunes through the Reader Feed.

You're 100% correct. I do everything for the individual shows, but then Derek publishes them on his feed. It's not for not wanting to set up a feed or anything, but it really relates to a lack of technical know-how on my end. Plus, the ReaderFeed is an awesome experiment and I want to help Derek out!

Fnord Serious
ComicBookDB.com Admin

Postby Fnord Serious » Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:23 pm

John and Bob of the Comic Book Page Podcast do a regular feature called Back Issue Spotlight where they take an in depth look at a story arc. They usually pick something that is available in trade, so you could link the trade entry to the relevant podcast: Back Issue Spotlight Review List.

Chris
Cosmic Donor
Cosmic Donor

Postby Chris » Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:48 am

On each issue page, you'll now see a link in the Toolbox to suggest a podcast to add to the issue. Filling out the form that follows will submit that info to us for approval (along the same lines as submitting a creator image).

Let me know if you run into any issues :)

Next

Return to General Discussion