What happened to Valiant Comics?

Moderators: DarthSkeptical, Fnord Serious, Chris, spid, Skyhawke, Darth Kramer, mikebo

antikryst

What happened to Valiant Comics?

Postby antikryst » Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:53 am

I remember the days when I was eagerly awaiting the new issues of shadowman and xo manowar. what the hell happened to them?

but more so... what happened to the prices of the pre-unity valiants? they used to be quite rare and pricey... but now... they are just bargain bin issues.

antikryst

Postby antikryst » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:56 am

oxbladder wrote:They were essentially a victim of the 90's speculator market trend. They grew too fast flooded the market with books and variant covers and blew all their cash when the market collapsed. Essentially they had a very poor long term plan.

thanks. too bad they had quite a few good books back then. started picking up valiants because of "collectibility" but i ended up actually loving them.

antikryst

Postby antikryst » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:27 am

oxbladder wrote:Wasn't Jim Shooter also one of the bigwigs there? He hasn't had a very good track record running comic companies.

i think he was heading it. then if i remember correctly they sold the rights to acclaim games.

angeltread

Postby angeltread » Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:28 am

Chris
Cosmic Donor
Cosmic Donor

Postby Chris » Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:35 pm

If you have a particular interest in Valiant Comics, there's a good podcast about them.

Only the Valiant podcast

antikryst

Postby antikryst » Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:15 pm

Chris wrote:If you have a particular interest in Valiant Comics, there's a good podcast about them.

Only the Valiant podcast

thanks for the link. just subscribed to the podcast.

is there still a future for valiant? are they still gonna make comics?

angeltread

Postby angeltread » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:37 am

maybe. i liked XO alot. and the new reformed copyright holders did put out the trade like a year ago or so for harbinger and XO.
hopefully they get off their asses. it would be pretty sweet.

Danwars

Postby Danwars » Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:47 pm

Some of those Valiant titles were actually pretty great. It seems like Marvel and DC were big enough to weather the storm of the mid to late nineties. Im suprised that Image and Darkhorse survived through it.

antikryst

Postby antikryst » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:40 am

Danwars wrote:Some of those Valiant titles were actually pretty great. It seems like Marvel and DC were big enough to weather the storm of the mid to late nineties. Im suprised that Image and Darkhorse survived through it.

i really loved my XO and shadowman. i actually quit uncanny x-men and amazing spider-man for these 2 titles as i had a tight budget (kid on allowance).

at least they are cheap now. i can complete my xo and shadowman collection :) problem is... after rereading everything thats it. no more new stuff.

Enoss Reewobb

Postby Enoss Reewobb » Thu May 07, 2009 5:27 pm

Really is a crime that we still have Image but not Valiant or Defiant :/

Enoss Reewobb

Postby Enoss Reewobb » Fri May 08, 2009 2:01 pm

Uthor wrote:
Enoss Reewobb wrote:Really is a crime that we still have Image but not Valiant or Defiant :/

I haven't read Valiant or Defiant, but I like a lot of stuff Image puts out these days. Granted, they've become a publisher of creator owned properties more than long running books in the "Image" universe, which makes 'em more like Dark Horse than Marvel or DC these days.

It's too bad Wildstorm has more or less imploded as there was some interesting stuff coming out of there, too.

Yeah, Wildstorm is another good, more recent example.

The thing about Image, though, is that at one point they made the same poor, costly decisions that Shooter was making in the early '90s when it came to the market. Think about how many early Youngblood birdcage-liners still populate comic stores all over the country. They're practically free. Not that they weren't able to turn things around in their favor by, say, hiring Alan Moore for a time or having such a successful, very marketable flagship book in Spawn. That they and other indie publishers survived the '90s is really something.

angeltread

Re: What happened to Valiant Comics?

Postby angeltread » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:43 pm

back.... and XO is great

Return to General Discussion