Cover Thumbnails Quality

Moderators: DarthSkeptical, Fnord Serious, Chris, spid, Skyhawke, Darth Kramer, mikebo

lahonda_99

Cover Thumbnails Quality

Postby lahonda_99 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:03 am

Since I've been on this site I've seen that many issues have extremely poor quality thumbnails uploaded with no large image. I've replaced the thumb and upped the large cover whenever I have seen this. My question is if you have the cover and can make a thumb of it why not make it good quality and also up the large? It doesn't make sense. What gain do these users get from only upping a poor thumb? Perhaps it is the image contributions they are looking to raise.

For example, have a look at this users' image contributions. He/she adds poor quality thumbs and never a large. Most of them have been replaced with better quality thumbs and large covers by other, more conscientious, users. I'm going through the list and replacing the covers of books I have. Perhaps this user and others get the thumbs from comixology or other preview sites and want to keep them small and poor quality so we can't see the watermarks...

Any thoughts on this?
- = - = -
Green Lantern 049.png
Green Lantern 049.png (87.65 KiB) Viewed 1070 times

Indy
Silver Donor
Silver Donor

Re: Cover Thumbnails Quality

Postby Indy » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:23 am

Hmm, that doesn't really make sense for him to do that. I'd have to go with your guess and say he is getting these low quality pics from elsewhere.

The bad pics you could put into tineye.com and see where they came from.

lahonda_99

Postby lahonda_99 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:48 am

Thanks for the great resource Indy! I just tried two issues that still have the poor quality thumbs:
Aliens vs Predator: Three World War (2010) #2
Blackest Night: The Flash (2010) #2
Tineye.com seems to look at the color pattern for recognition because, in both cases, the images it matched as similar were cover thumbnails of the artwork minus the issue name. It's interesting. I need it to find the real covers and not the virgin artwork or else we won't be able to track down where the thumbs are coming from. I sent that user a message through Yahoo! Messenger, I'll let you know if I get in contact and can ask him why he's doing that and what his source is.

lahonda_99

Postby lahonda_99 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:27 pm

Variant differentiation having only tiny images is a good excuse, thanks for bringing that up Uthor. I hadn't thought of that, but seeing those tiny variant covers has helped me search for the larger cover when those variants don't specifically say, "cover C," on the front.

draven3410

Postby draven3410 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:16 am

I know i've been guilty of doing this. I don't have a scanner to scan in my covers so I google image for the cover. I try and get the best quality I can and use that. I don't have a graphic editor to change the size of the hi-res cover for the thumbnails (internet is at work), but if i get a better res verison i try and put that up.

Indy
Silver Donor
Silver Donor

Postby Indy » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:52 pm

draven3410 wrote:I know i've been guilty of doing this. I don't have a scanner to scan in my covers so I google image for the cover. I try and get the best quality I can and use that. I don't have a graphic editor to change the size of the hi-res cover for the thumbnails (internet is at work), but if i get a better res verison i try and put that up.

It's not really enforced but you aren't supposed to do that. If you are taking an image from another website then you are plagiarizing their work. There is no method built in to comicbookdb to give references, so everything we put up has to be original content.

spid

Postby spid » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:13 pm

Indy wrote:
draven3410 wrote:I know i've been guilty of doing this. I don't have a scanner to scan in my covers so I google image for the cover. I try and get the best quality I can and use that. I don't have a graphic editor to change the size of the hi-res cover for the thumbnails (internet is at work), but if i get a better res verison i try and put that up.

It's not really enforced but you aren't supposed to do that. If you are taking an image from another website then you are plagiarizing their work. There is no method built in to comicbookdb to give references, so everything we put up has to be original content.

What we really do not want in terms of cover images are those images with watermarks or cover from preview covers. So please do not use the solicitation covers that are found at many of the news sites.

In terms of original content we put the emphasis on written content. So do not copy the bio information from Marvel.com for characters or solicitation text for issue synopsis as an example.

Enoss Reewobb

Postby Enoss Reewobb » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:47 am

Man, what the hell is this:

http://www.comicbookdb.com/graphics/com ... _large.jpg

Seriously, either get a high-quality image or don't upload at all.

Enoss Reewobb

Postby Enoss Reewobb » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:33 am

No idea. I wouldn't think the database would allow anything larger than 100 pixels wide to be uploaded but that image is def. 200. Weird.

spid

Postby spid » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:06 am

The requirement is to get the thumbnail below 20k. It is recommended to set the thumbnail image to 100 pixels.

spid

Postby spid » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:58 pm

Uthor wrote:
spid wrote:The requirement is to get the thumbnail below 20k. It is recommended to set the thumbnail image to 100 pixels.

That's new, then. It used to be 100px exact.

Nope. It has always worked this way. The thumbnail will always reformat the to display at 100px so it does not make sense to put in a bigger image.

Shigun

Postby Shigun » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:20 pm

spid wrote:
Uthor wrote:
spid wrote:The requirement is to get the thumbnail below 20k. It is recommended to set the thumbnail image to 100 pixels.

That's new, then. It used to be 100px exact.

Nope. It has always worked this way. The thumbnail will always reformat the to display at 100px so it does not make sense to put in a bigger image.

Really? I'm with Uthor - I recall thumbs having to be 100px exact.

I think the Admins are playing tricks on us... :shock:

spid

Postby spid » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:02 pm

Yes, the suggested size is 100 pixels, but the only hard stop built in is the under 20k barrier. All that being said submit the images as 100 pixels as that is what will be displayed.

Indy
Silver Donor
Silver Donor

Postby Indy » Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:46 am

Yeah I think I even tried uploading pics that were too big and gives an error then it says 100pix width exact.

übernot

Postby übernot » Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:47 am

lahonda_99 wrote:Since I've been on this site I've seen that many issues have extremely poor quality thumbnails uploaded with no large image. I've replaced the thumb and upped the large cover whenever I have seen this. My question is if you have the cover and can make a thumb of it why not make it good quality and also up the large? It doesn't make sense. What gain do these users get from only upping a poor thumb? Perhaps it is the image contributions they are looking to raise.

I thought I'd bump this just because I ran through 2 weeks' of Marvels and replaced so many thumbnails used as large covers and covers with watermarks.

1. If you can't scan the cover yourself, you should not be taking scans from other sites, especially if those images have watermarks.
    2. If you do not have a LARGE cover image, I think it would be better not to add the large cover image at all. That way, at least someone could click on the link for missing large covers at the top of the title page and see which issues still need large covers.
    3. If you are scanning--GREAT! But, really take a look at what you are posting--is that scanned cover really of a quality worth posting? I am seeing one scanner who typically has huge covers, but there are these awful streak lines on the right side of the image that detracts from the image. I am seeing another scanner who posts a bunch of "large" scans that are rather small, the cover is skewed, and there's no brightness/contrast enhancement so the covers come out gray and muted. Given the size limitations, you can't expect photo-quality scans, but you want to be able to pull up a large cover and examine some detail and not wonder if something is wrong with your monitor's color settings.

Another post of similar discussion which deserves bumping as well:
http://www.comicbookdb.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=334&p=1398

Return to General Discussion