Comics altered when reprinted.

Moderators: DarthSkeptical, Fnord Serious, Chris, spid, Skyhawke, Darth Kramer, mikebo

pnova

Comics altered when reprinted.

Postby pnova » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:28 am

Does anyone know of US comics that have been altered when reprinted in trade paper back collections? I expect that there are some

I know of some UK issue or US issue reprinted in the UK that have been altered.

2 examples are Barry Kitson drawn Transformers 1984 UK #32. When this issue was reprinted a panel was swap due to it being incorrect in the original. This was corrected for Transformers Special #6,25 Not sure if is corrected in Transformers Dinobot Hunt.

Also when Transformers 1984 #25 [Marvel US feb87] was reprinted in Transformers 1984 UK #107,108 [Marvel UK april 1987] large sections of texts was changed [expect by Simon Furman] so it fitted in with the UK story line. But when Titan reprinted this issue they reprinted the US uneditted pages so the UK altered pages have not been reprinted. It was about 3 pages with altered text.

Marvel UK might have changed some pages of X-men stories when they badly chopped together X-men X-Ecutioners song 1992 in the UK X-men 1994 comic [that lasted about 34 issues. Just found it isn't in the database]

mikebo

Re: Comics altered when reprinted.

Postby mikebo » Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:30 pm

New coloring is commissioned for reprints of older material fairly regularly.

Infinite Crisis had a ton of changes to artwork and text when it was collected. There used to be a blog devoted to all the changes that had been made.

There were a bunch of edits to Mark Millar's run on The Authority, but I forget if those were applied before or after the individual issues being released.

Uthor

Postby Uthor » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:43 pm

I don't have specific examples, but it's fairly common to see new colors, fixed colors (eg, a character being made white instead of black or having the wrong costume in the original printing), editted balloons (misspelling and/or clarifying the text), and any number of other things in reprintings.

pnova

Postby pnova » Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:34 am

I remember getting Neal Adams Uncanny X-men collection recoloured.

aaronmoish

Postby aaronmoish » Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:33 pm

The Action Force reprints of G.I. Joe comics, of course, replaced all mentions of G.I. Joe with Action Force.

pnova

Postby pnova » Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:28 pm

That would have been a big thing to tie in with the UK toyline. But expect that it cost Marvel UK too much to have someone go over the US issues. The Action Force comic didn't last too long & they soon stuck with the Gijoe title so they could just do straight reprinting. from Transformers UK #149 Dec89

cjkerry

Postby cjkerry » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:11 pm

I know when Marvel's earliest Conan stories were reprinted in pocket book format they were recut to fit the new pages. I always thought that odd as the other Marvel characters had their pages printed without being recut. The same thing was done for the Batman and Superman paperbacks that came out in the 60s.

Return to General Discussion