Comics to Games

Moderators: DarthSkeptical, Fnord Serious, Chris, spid, Skyhawke, Darth Kramer, mikebo

pnova

Comics to Games

Postby pnova » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:56 pm

Does making a comic story into a game work? Most on here would be posting from reading the comics then maybe seeing the game. But we might have someone who works in games & got the comic later on.

But few examples -

Spiderman Maximum Carnage - 16bit game. I'm not too sure how close this was to the comic.
X-men 2 Mega Drive - based on Phalanx story arc 1994 - but altered alot because in the game we have Magneto & Apocalypse. But this game had amazing graphics & was Sega format only.
Fantastic Four, Captain America, Thor, Ironman [Movie game]
Spiderman, X-men [movie game - also see the follow up games for next films too]

These games i'm not sure about

Spiderman
X-men
Wolverine - the first 16bit/8bit game - was this based on a comic story? ?

mikebo

Re: Comics to Games

Postby mikebo » Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:25 pm

There have been upwards of 500 games based upon comics. But they're usually their own thing rather than direct adaptations of comic storylines. The two Bone games are the only ones that leap to mind immediately which are pretty faithful to the source material. I expect there are others, but it's probably a pretty short list.

pnova

Postby pnova » Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:04 pm

I think more of the Movie based games are more linked to the movie with some comics stuff thrown in to give us new charaters designs & how in the games we have cannon fodder to kill. Where as the comic based ones do have to force in the cannon fodder - the Marvel games do suffer from the endless same character design bad guy attack you in groups of 5 or so.

Ukiah

Postby Ukiah » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:26 pm

I prefer games which have their own stories and aren't so nailed to a linear progression that any deviation is discouraged. There have been many fine video games based off comics but in my opinion it works best when the game is set in that world rather than set in a specific story which came out - the characters and comic-book universe set the stage and then a unique (or as close to unique as can come by these days) is created to be played.

Games based on movies seem a bit more rigid in their storylines, they're almost always a retelling of the movie. Why would I want to play a game for days to get the same story as a two-hour movie especially when I have so many other games which aren't going to feel like deja-vu as I'm playing it.

pnova

Postby pnova » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:44 pm

The Marvel V Capcom series of games are good but don't really have a story. The story you have in the cut scenes does feel more like a cartoon story compared to linking to comic arc. The 4 player Marvel [x-men marvel universe games] did slightly cover comic arcs in a series of stories that didn't really link together.

pnova

Postby pnova » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:19 pm

Mega Drive X-men 2 was the best grahics on a 16bit game. But the Apocalypse level 2 was impossilbe to get past - you can onyl do it with Nightcrawler - so it was level skip after doing the first level. All the other levels where easy to get passed.

Return to “General Discussion”