Green arrow earth 1 and earth 2 questions

Moderators: DarthSkeptical, Fnord Serious, Chris, spid, Skyhawke, Darth Kramer, mikebo

Movieguy12

Green arrow earth 1 and earth 2 questions

Postby Movieguy12 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:30 pm

Hello I was at c2e2 this past weekend (Chicago comic con) and bought a TON of green arrow issues I'm going to try and buy every green arrow comic including his appearances. I'm aware of how many and how rare and how much the first appearances will be.. My question is What's the difference between earth 1 green arrow and earth 2 green arrow? I'm confused which is the main green arrow and which came first?  Thank you!

poke450

Re: Green arrow earth 1 and earth 2 questions

Postby poke450 » Tue May 15, 2012 12:52 am

I am sorry to not be answering your question...but you totally need to read the Green Arrow #1-80 by Mike Grell...they are fantastic.

culwin

Postby culwin » Sat May 19, 2012 12:45 am

When DC "rebooted" a lot of their heroes in the 60's, they gave some of them different identities, origins, and even different powers.
For example, the original Green Lantern (Alan Scott) got his power from a lamp and its weakness was wood.
But the second Green Lantern (Hal Jordan) got his power from an alien and its weakness was yellow.
To resolve the differences, at some point they got the idea of multiple universes (and multiple earths).
The original "golden age" was from "Earth 2" and newer heroes were from "Earth 1".
Of course some of the heroes were the same person on each Earth, such as Green Arrow (Oliver Queen).
I don't know enough about Green Arrow to tell you what the differences between them were, but most of what you've read is probably the Earth-1 GA.
But Black Canary, that's even a bigger mess.
Then in the 80's, the series "Crisis" was supposed to resolve and eliminate the different Earths... and since then there have been other stories which seem to have made things even more convoluted.
But I hope I helped a little bit.

cjkerry

Postby cjkerry » Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:53 pm

The difference in the two Green Arrows is primarily in their origin stories. The origins didn't differ that much if I recall correctly. The second origin story for Green Arrow appeared in Adventure Comics #256. His first Golden Age appearence was in More Fun Comics #73 but I am not sure if there is an origin given for him at that time. This issue was reprinted by DC as part of their Millenium reprint series so you may want to try and get that one as it will be a lot cheaper than the original issue.

Return to General Discussion