If you wrote a comic book... what would it be?

Moderators: DarthSkeptical, Fnord Serious, Chris, spid, Skyhawke, Darth Kramer, mikebo

Ukiah

If you wrote a comic book... what would it be?

Postby Ukiah » Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:11 am

I'm sure these sorts of posts have been made before but I haven't seen any recently and... I thought I'd take a gander at what sorts of responses it might get.

For me, I'm fascinated by the idea of parallel worlds and traveling through them - been working on at least a couple stories which I hope to post onto fictionpress at some point which uses that basic plot. The idea of things changing to fit the environment, a sort of fisher kingdom transformation made with each jump. Still working on what the overall story would be but that's the basic and rather vague idea I've been trying to hash out in my head.

I'm a fan of indie comics, I love going to events such as MoCCA in NY where I can pick up comics sold directly from the creators and which you'll probably never see sold in a chainstore. I pick up a lot of stuff which catches my eye but usually they don't click for me in the end, however if you do find something special that moment is pure bliss. I'd love to see more small-press comics making an appearance - something unexpected, something that isn't worried about having huge mass appeal. The comic world should have enough space for all that and more... even if I know firsthand from people who work in comics that it really doesn't pay the bills ^.^;;;

Skattershot

Re: If you wrote a comic book... what would it be?

Postby Skattershot » Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:41 am

One thing I would have is time-travel. Marvel's been overdosed on that. A parallel universe theory would be good, where events of a superhero's actions would reflect on a different world (let's call it World A), allowing for unexplained circumstances on another world (World B). Hero's on World B would have to react, creating events to occur on World A. A crossover where the 2 worlds are affected, yet the heroes from both worlds never meet would be an interesting situation to deal with.....

Art School Dropout

Postby Art School Dropout » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:05 am

I am working pre-production on a creator owned project which is a western/horror mash-up set post civil war reconstruction. The perspective is that of an native American man without a tribe and his struggle to identify in a predominantly white world, plus an added twist which I won't reveal here.

I have several other ideas on the back burner as well; including a sci-fi book set 1,000 years in an alternate future similar to Philip K. Dick's The Man in the High Castle. In my story the main character must choose free will or fate, one will lead to the destruction of society.

One idea I'm toying around with is set in modern times and involves mythological creatures, biblical figures and parallel realities inspired by The Hero with a Thousand Faces by John Cambell.

Another featuring time travel and the classic fish out of water premise, don't want to spoil this one.

In yet another I want to take an ordinary mundane everyday subject (like riding the bus) and make it absolutely terrifying. I plan to do this by telling multiple stories using a first person perspective, having the first story finish at the end threading all the in between stories together. Sounds confusing but it wont be when its done.

These are all projects I plan on actually working on in the future, (there is not enough time in the day).

OldeSonjaFan

Postby OldeSonjaFan » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:28 pm

After getting the necessary approvals from the IP holder, would like to fill in the gaps in the original Marvel version of Red Sonja. When you read through the various Marvel comics that contain her stories you see that her career began at about age 17 and lasted at least into her middle 60s. That's about 43 :o years of wild and wooly adventures as only Sonja can have them, and the published work does not begin to cover that. More than a 1 person job, but think of the fun one could have!

IntergalacticApe-Man

Postby IntergalacticApe-Man » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:39 pm

Actually I've done that. In the 90ies it's just been trying and goofing around. Despite the fact everyone was into the stuff Image and Top Cow blew out, or they weren't, they've been learning japanese studying manga culture, I did my small cartoon about an office employee and his heavy pot addiction. Then I realized it basically was a b/w suited up Fred Flintstone, with a doobie in the corner of his mouth. That's when I sold my idea to the guy who made it The Office. Joking.
I also did a story about nuclear spring when, you know, almost everyone is dead and just few parts on earth remain to live on. Think there was something about a secret nazi organisation either, but I can't tell if they came from Antarctica or the moon. Story got pencilled by a friend, but he changed mind and the few panels were never continued. Guess I sold the idea to finland couple of years later.
Right now in the making is an autobiographical series of one-pages or 4-panels. I don't expect much, but maybe this time I'm in when it comes to a success.

Return to General Discussion