Marvel NOW! revamp

Moderators: DarthSkeptical, Fnord Serious, Chris, spid, Skyhawke, Darth Kramer, mikebo

Skattershot

Marvel NOW! revamp

Postby Skattershot » Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:35 am

Is anyone else getting tired of Marvel's revamp/revisit/reboot stuff? Every time I turn around they're destroying what little continuity (if any!) they have when they renumber/revamp issues. I understand they're trying to get new readers, but it's so much easier to lose readers than it is to gain new ones when they pull these stunts.Renumbering Uncanny X-men.....why? "NOW!" they're going to "revamp" it again. Don't they see it's the writing/editing (AXEL) that's the problem with low sales. Bob may have not been a writer's fave person, but at least he kept stuff straight over there.

spid

Re: Marvel NOW! revamp

Postby spid » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:37 am

I am not. I am really looking forward to the creator switches for the titles.

jwfreebird

Re: Marvel NOW! revamp

Postby jwfreebird » Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:06 pm

I get where you're coming from and to be honest, I see both sides. I definitely agree with you that, in the end, it's the creatives who sell the comics, not the increasingly desperate attempts to flood the marketplace with #1 issues. It's the law of diminishing returns and if you start a series over at increasingly shorter intervals (see Captain America for a pretty egregious example) then you are just going to destroy any "specialness" associated with a #1.

On the other hand, I am genuinely excited for many of the new creative teams that are starting runs as part of this Marvel NOW! initiative and I can get that slapping a new #1 on the series may be the best way to call attention to it. I wonder if we're moving away from continuously numbered titles toward an era where every arc or maybe even every run by a new writer just has its own self-contained numbering (e.g. Hellboy and B.P.R.D.)

Return to General Discussion