Comics in magazines

Moderators: DarthSkeptical, Fnord Serious, Chris, spid, Skyhawke, Darth Kramer, mikebo

Ukiah

Comics in magazines

Postby Ukiah » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:07 pm

This may be discussed somewhere on the FAQ section but I did a quick look and didn't spot it.

If a comic only appeared in a magazine, how should it be logged into the database? I'm talking about comics that continued from one issue to another - such as longstanding comics which appeared in magazines such as Dragon (Wormy or The Twilight Empire) and as far as I can tell were never collected in a separate form from their original appearance in the magazine (except for maybe that pc cd archive collection that appeared years ago...).

Soda

Re: Comics in magazines

Postby Soda » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:51 pm

AFAIK it's "If the story appeared in a magazine then enter the magazine" as it happened with "Playboy" e.g.

Ukiah

Postby Ukiah » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:24 pm

Sounds good to me! Thanks :)

mikebo

Postby mikebo » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:04 am

Soda

Postby Soda » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:22 pm

Is there a basic requirement for this?
I mean would it be really okay to add a say 50-page magazine because it has half a page of a comic in it (like a regular reprint of a sunday strip or its own strip). For instance there was a German newspaper that printed Topps' adaption of "Jurassic Park " as a 1-page-a-day feature. Which would mean that one had to add around 100 issues of said newspaper.

And on a related note would it be okay to add each and every page of a comic strip series? For example I'd like to add all ~4000 sunday pages of "Prince Valiant" to make it possible to add those pages into the print editions which ultimately would lead to an exact history which pages could be found in print in which of the various editions.

mikebo

Postby mikebo » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:45 pm

I'd like to see that level of detail as well, but haven't put much work towards it yet. We've got incomplete listings of The Spirit and Preventive Maintenance Monthly already.

http://www.comicbookdb.com/title.php?ID=14697
http://www.comicbookdb.com/title.php?ID=34645

Soda

Postby Soda » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:53 pm

Oh, cool. Thanks.

It's a pity that those "Comic Section" entries only list "The Spirit" and not all those other strips included with it, though.

Ukiah

Postby Ukiah » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:19 pm

Soda wrote:And on a related note would it be okay to add each and every page of a comic strip series? For example I'd like to add all ~4000 sunday pages of "Prince Valiant" to make it possible to add those pages into the print editions which ultimately would lead to an exact history which pages could be found in print in which of the various editions.

You sir are dedicated! I salute you.

pnova

Postby pnova » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:20 pm

This something like Look-in
http://www.comicbookdb.com/title.php?ID=18557

I used to get this & it I think reprinted US stuff & had some UK only stuff [aminly non-comic features]. I have the Crystal Maze feature but never kept any of the issues so can't complete the entries.

Return to General Discussion