Cover art question

Moderators: DarthSkeptical, Fnord Serious, Chris, spid, Skyhawke, Darth Kramer, mikebo

BamaRainbow

Cover art question

Postby BamaRainbow » Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:16 pm

I'm not sure if this has been dealt with before (I did a very brief look and didn't find it) so I apologize if I'm duplicating something that's already been answered.

Anyway, given the recent appearance of titles based on CGI animated films (Penguins of Madagascar, Puss in Boots, Shrek, etc), how does one handle a cover that uses CGI artwork? It's not technically a case of "contains photographic elements" (since the subjects haven't really been "photographed"--I'd think that would apply, however, for an image taken of a maquette or an action figure) but, at the same time, it's not traditional artwork with an artist (known or unknown). I could imagine, for instance, a comic book adaptation of "Alice Through the Looking Glass." A cover featuring Johnny Depp as Mad Hatter or Mia Wasikowska as Alice would be "contains photographic elements"--even Helena Bonham Carter as the Red Queen or Matt Lucas as the Tweedles would rightfully be treated as "contains photographic elements" (since it could be viewed as a style of Photoshop). But, a picture of the CGI-created Cheshire Cat or March Hare couldn't really be "photographic" since they exist as pixels on some computers. Is there some sort of "digital/computer art rendering" credit that would better fit the "cover artist" field in these cases?

Soda

Re: Cover art question

Postby Soda » Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:51 am

I created the entry "(screenshot)" a few years ago for cases like this. It's not perfect but obviously other people started adapting and using that option.

prime25

Postby prime25 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:43 am

Or entry of CGI image. Which would mean it is a created image but because it is done by a team we don not know any names. Same if we listed DVD covers.

RebeccaBond

Postby RebeccaBond » Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:01 am

I don't like people on the covers of my fantasy. A lot of it has to do with the Uncanny Valley.

Confudaze

Postby Confudaze » Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:12 pm

Well blending options will probably help with CGI content on the covers. Not quite sure if there are digital/art rendering options that will help with that as most CGI based covers are just that. CGI characters or content added on top of other things that aren't CGI necessarily.

Return to “General Discussion”