Character Apperance lists

Moderators: DarthSkeptical, Fnord Serious, Chris, spid, Skyhawke, Darth Kramer, mikebo

Skyhawke

Character Apperance lists

Postby Skyhawke » Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:04 pm

Chris, The Code Monkey and power that be behind ComicBookDB.com, has asked me to post this message around the website. We have two main goals for ComicBookDB.com this year - the first is to add as many independent titles to the database as possible with complete creator information. The second goal is to increase the number of character associates with comic books in the database to give more thorough Character Appearance lists.

We saw a great response from contributors this past year when we asked for help making Crisis on Infinite Earths, Infinite Crisis and Nova as complete as possible for the ComicsNow! Magazine and we would like to take that knowledge base that is you the comic book community and make our website even better.

angeltread

Postby angeltread » Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:23 am

not to be a nit picky nancy, but shouldnt this be a site support announcement and not a general board one....

figured you mods could at least get that right even though half the threads in this forum are site support questions

Chris
Cosmic Donor
Cosmic Donor

Postby Chris » Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:52 pm

We're not particularly picky about where posts go in each forum as long as they get the responses that they need. But then maybe we just can't get at least that right.

Darth Kramer

Postby Darth Kramer » Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:02 pm

Hey Chris,

Would it be feasable to generate a report that targets characters that either have no First Appearance listed or don't have any appearances associated with them?

Chris
Cosmic Donor
Cosmic Donor

Postby Chris » Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:13 pm

DK,

It should be pretty easy for me to do both. Let me see what I can do.

angeltread

Postby angeltread » Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:09 am

not trying to be a dick...
just dont see a point in having two forums if you let the topics go where they land... might as well just have one.

acomica

Postby acomica » Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:10 pm

angeltread wrote:not trying to be a dick...
just dont see a point in having two forums if you let the topics go where they land... might as well just have one.

LOL! Dude, this is how these forums are. Of all the things to complain about, THIS is what you choose to complain about? Wow...

Chris
Cosmic Donor
Cosmic Donor

Postby Chris » Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:17 pm

We encourage people to get them in the right place but if they don't, we don't worry about it. The important thing is that questions get answered. It's not like we're getting buried in off-topic posts and unable to get to everyone.

We like keeping things nice and relaxed :)

angeltread

Postby angeltread » Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:27 am

word.
i just come from a stingy board that i mod and we make sure its on subject to the forum... thus making sure its easily to find... but then again it is probablyt a good 10x busier than this one.

angeltread

Postby angeltread » Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:29 am

acomica wrote:

LOL! Dude, this is how these forums are. Of all the things to complain about, THIS is what you choose to complain about? Wow...

first off lol yourself... im not complaining just stating the obvious, its something me and few comic book friends have noticed about this site. trust me i didnt go home today and go..."meh, you know what they did on comicbookdb forums tonight.... oooooh my feathers are ruffled." there is nothing wrong with a little organization.

Danwars

Postby Danwars » Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:05 am

to be fair, I typically only read the General Discussion part of the board, so Its cool that I saw this here. I'm getting a new scanner soon and have two short boxes of Indie comics that aren't in the Database yet, so hopefully Ill be able to add some books.

Merrik

Postby Merrik » Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:15 am

I think I mentioned something like this before, can't remember, but what if a report could be generated for each user that shows their "most collected character" or something?

I know for a lot of people, the usual suspects would come up. Spider-Man, Batman, Superman, Wolverine etc. etc.

But I know for me, I had never collected Batman or Superman titles until a couple of years ago, so my most collected character would probably be someone out of left field, IF all the issues in my collection had the proper character associations.

Something like that MIGHT help in getting the database a little more accurate and complete in regards to that situation by peaking members interest in which character they own the most of.

Skyhawke

Postby Skyhawke » Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:14 pm

I would like to ask that those that can go over the Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman entries we have in the database. We are going to get some additional traffic most likely when Trinity comes out. This includes bio's, images, apperances, powers, notes, who they were created by, etc....

Fabian Nicieza mention in his Newsarama.com interview that he is going to have Morgaine le Faye, Green Lantern, Hawkman, Firestorm and Despero. So perhaps we can touch up on those characters as well

rplass

Postby rplass » Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:59 am

You know, I'd love to add character appearances as I come across them. But I just don't know every single character in existence, and I'm probably going to screw up if I try to index an entire issue... certainly I can help with many issues, many characters but almost never ALL the characters in an issue.

So is it OK to enter a partial list of characters, then if you could please, create a character called, "UNFINISHED" so everyone knows that it's not complete? This way users wouldn't think that ONLY the characters entered so far are the only ones appearing. Then once the last enterer enters the final character, delete the "UNFINISHED" character so we all know it's done, something like that.

Fnord Serious
ComicBookDB.com Admin

Postby Fnord Serious » Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:25 am

rplass wrote:You know, I'd love to add character appearances as I come across them. But I just don't know every single character in existence, and I'm probably going to screw up if I try to index an entire issue... certainly I can help with many issues, many characters but almost never ALL the characters in an issue.

So is it OK to enter a partial list of characters, then if you could please, create a character called, "UNFINISHED" so everyone knows that it's not complete? This way users wouldn't think that ONLY the characters entered so far are the only ones appearing. Then once the last enterer enters the final character, delete the "UNFINISHED" character so we all know it's done, something like that.

It would likely be simpler to put a note in the Notes field such as "Character Appearance list is incomplete" or something else to that effect.

I have noticed some users utilizing the notes field for other such useful character appearance information, such as which of the characters listed appear only in flashback or in cameo roles.

Next

Return to General Discussion