Character Apperance lists

Moderators: DarthSkeptical, Fnord Serious, Chris, spid, Skyhawke, Darth Kramer, mikebo

rplass

Postby rplass » Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:12 am

Ok sure! And yeah, I did use the notes section for a few characters. I just hope that once the character appearances are completed, that the last member to edit the page remembers to remove the "incomplete" from the notes.

Fnord Serious
ComicBookDB.com Admin

Postby Fnord Serious » Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:59 am

There is always hope :)

Skyhawke

Postby Skyhawke » Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:24 am

It is also good for noting who creating the character

Fnord Serious
ComicBookDB.com Admin

Postby Fnord Serious » Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:15 am

Skyhawke wrote:It is also good for noting who creating the character

I assume you are referring to the notes field on the character page?

We have been discussing entering characters at the issue level and using the issue's notes field for extra character info.

spid

Postby spid » Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:17 pm

A small annoyance that hits me is lack of first appearances. I know it can be confusing when your working with characters from the bit two. However, if you are putting in all the character appearances for certain title and it stands alone please put in the First Appearances.

If your confused you can always try to a google search to see if the first appearance is defined elsewhere. I just spent 15 minutes adding first appearances for characters in a stand alone title.

Merrik

Postby Merrik » Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:00 pm

spid wrote:A small annoyance that hits me is lack of first appearances. I know it can be confusing when your working with characters from the bit two. However, if you are putting in all the character appearances for certain title and it stands alone please put in the First Appearances.

If your confused you can always try to a google search to see if the first appearance is defined elsewhere. I just spent 15 minutes adding first appearances for characters in a stand alone title.

This drives me nuts. :lol: Everyday I check the Last 10 Characters added links, and I'd say 75% of the time, they don't have a first appearance. I try to fill in what I can and do a bit of research, but it gets annoying overwhelming to tell the truth. Half of the time, it's not that hard at all to figure out the first appearance of the character, as they're usually added in the system and to an issue because that issue IS the first appearance.

I get that with a ton of characters it can be a pain to figure out their first appearance, but with even more, it's a simple matter of taking half a minute to look it up. I don't get it honestly. It takes half a sec to actually add in the first appearance.

Chris
Cosmic Donor
Cosmic Donor

Postby Chris » Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:17 pm

It shouldn't be difficult for me to put together a new report that shows characters who are missing first appearances.

spid

Postby spid » Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:42 pm

I am not sure where every one stands on this, but it annoys me so I thought I would throw it out to see what every one thought. Below is a list of characters that seem to be place holder characters. There are no appearances or first appearances for a of characters of the list. It seems like some one just went down a list in a Wiki for all the characters that appeared in a title without putting them anywhere.

http://www.comicbookdb.com/search.php?f ... =Character

I think if your going to create a character it should be one your going to put into a comic right then and not something to be used as a place holder. Does any one else have an opinon? I will admit I might be overally sensitive since I have spent the last couple of months trying to get the number of characters without appearances down.

satansrubberduck

Postby satansrubberduck » Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:16 pm

spid wrote:I am not sure where every one stands on this, but it annoys me so I thought I would throw it out to see what every one thought. Below is a list of characters that seem to be place holder characters. There are no appearances or first appearances for a of characters of the list. It seems like some one just went down a list in a Wiki for all the characters that appeared in a title without putting them anywhere.

http://www.comicbookdb.com/search.php?f ... =Character

I think if your going to create a character it should be one your going to put into a comic right then and not something to be used as a place holder. Does any one else have an opinon? I will admit I might be overally sensitive since I have spent the last couple of months trying to get the number of characters without appearances down.

Hey, my bad, sorta. (Yeah, been using CBDB for a while but only just registered on the forum... been reading it to keep up with any guidelines though.)

I'm currently working on the character appearances for the Exiles series. I don't have all the trades/issues where I currently live (though I am on the way to a 15% sale at my local comic shop...), but I have most of the trades here from 9 onwards. I added all the characters from the Exiles Handbook entry that's at the back of trade 16. I must admit I'm terrible at adding in First Appearance data normally (did characters for Sandman/Lucifer and didn't once do a first appearance, will go through them later tonight I think), but in this case I'm not 100% certain on all of them. The Handbook info gives when the characters have joined the Exiles/Weapon X teams, but not when they actually first appeared in the comics (examples: Proteus as a villian for a good dozen issues IIRC before being a member, and I'm sure that some of the Weapon X members join and die 'off-screen' - though there's an issue where the Exiles return all of the killed-in-action characters home, so at the very least the off-screen characters appear once.). I have added Group membership to the characters (see http://www.comicbookdb.com/team.php?ID=147, http://www.comicbookdb.com/team.php?ID=1779 and http://www.comicbookdb.com/team.php?ID=1781 ) so they're not entirely orphaned data. Also partly done for convenience - not all realities are numbered in the issues they appear, so having the information from one source added already will make my updating easier.

I was thinking along the same lines as Uthor above, in that having the full group membership is important, irresepective of the character's appearance. I'm thinking of possibilities like a mission control character that is never seen on-panel (perhaps as a running gag or for suspence) but is still a vital member of the team.

I've completed issues 1-4 for character appearances, and used the Issue Notes for extra info, and tried to fill in a little bit of bio for each of the alternate characters (including a small repeated paragraph about the specific Earth-xxx and why it is different to 616). Can someone have a wee look to see if it's okay?

So basically, sorry Spid, am working on the Exiles series as a whole and figured doing it this way would be easier for me. And I'll go through the Sandman/Lucifer characters and add in their Firsts later on.

Enoss Reewobb

Re: Character Apperance lists

Postby Enoss Reewobb » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:55 am

I added a Puma Blues appearance of Raphael (TMNT), which also prompted me to add an Alan Moore script that fans might not have discovered otherwise. So yeah, this really helps.

Previous

Return to General Discussion