I need some help (Character Creation/Adding Characters)

For any questions/comments/suggestions regarding using and/or contributing to ComicBookDB.com

Moderators: DarthSkeptical, Fnord Serious, Chris, spid, Skyhawke, Darth Kramer, mikebo

forgottenandabsorbed

I need some help (Character Creation/Adding Characters)

Postby forgottenandabsorbed » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:17 am

I looked through the threads and could not find the answer. It is quite possible I missed it, and if I did, I apologize. I wanted to see if I could find the answer here before reporting a problem to the admins.

I recently added a character to the database. When I search for him (Roche) I find him in the list (Roche (Marvel Earth-616)). He is not the Roche who was listed (from the Buffy series) so I had to create a new entry. The problem is, when I try to add him to the character list for Marvel Comics Presents #5 (and I am assuming any other issue) he does not come up in the search field. The only Roche that does is the one from Buffy.

Is there a waiting period before a newly added character can be added to an issue? I don't think this is the case because I think I added a newly created character to another issue, but I am not 100% sure. Is there an issue with the site? Or am I just screwing up somehow?

Uthor

Re: I need some help (Character Creation/Adding Characters)

Postby Uthor » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:35 am

There shouldn't be any delay. Once the character is in the system, they show up right away to add to issues (Roche is here, btw). Try putting his name into the Last Name or the Code Name fields. I believe that it only looks at last names and code names when adding characters to issues.

EDIT: Yes, he's in the system, but without a last name, you have to type in ", roche" to get him to show up.

forgottenandabsorbed

Postby forgottenandabsorbed » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:24 am

Thank you very much for the help. I will go in and change that character entry so it is easier to find in the search. I really appreciate the help.

Viper87

Postby Viper87 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:25 am

I've also got a question related to character creation and also adding characters. I figured I'd just reply here instead of creating a new topic since it kind of falls in this area.

1) When creating a new character (or even modifying an existing one), what are the rules / guidelines with regard to character bio's and notes? Can we give a whole history of the character, listing and describing everything of note that has happened to that character till present (likely to contain spoilers), or is it just a general bio with no specific info just generally detailing general information about the specific character that can stand for an era or year?

2) When adding characters to issues, what would count as the character appearing in that issue? Is it only if they appear in person within the issue, or could it it also count if a character appears in a flashback, in the background with other characters, in passing for a panel or two or just mentioned within the issue?

Also thought I'd ask an extra question about issue synopsis while I'm typing this.

3) How detailed does a synopsis need to be? Does it only need to be a few lines giving the briefest account of the events in the issue without any specifics or spoilers, or does it need to be detailed and describe every event, occurrence, and/or plot development in the issue?

Thanks for reading this, hopefully someone can help.

spid

Postby spid » Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:33 pm

1. You can be be detailed, including spoilers as long as you do not copy existing content from other sit es. Also if you are going to include spoilers for current story lines it would be nice if you gave a spoiler warning beforehand.

2. Flashbacks count. I normally add a note in the issue if the character only appears in flashback. If some one only on a telephone call, and never is seen in the comic then that does not count.

3. You can be detailed in the story entry, but the common usage is to add a general synopsis of the story. I personally try avoid spoilers in my write ups. There is also a review section that is hidden to the first glance. That might be a good place for spoiler talk.

Return to Site Support