Few Questions/Issues (Registration, Character Images, Mod Actions)

For any questions/comments/suggestions regarding using and/or contributing to ComicBookDB.com

Moderators: DarthSkeptical, Fnord Serious, Chris, spid, Skyhawke, Darth Kramer, mikebo

Merrik Redux
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:22 pm

Few Questions/Issues (Registration, Character Images, Mod Actions)

Postby Merrik Redux » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:05 am

Hey, apologies in advance, I have a few questions, so I'll probably split this up into a few different posts to keep them separate, but they may get long.

First thing, not a new user. I'm the guy who started this thread: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1641&hilit=things+complicated years ago. So I've been around on the site for like, over a decade now and I'm not just a new user coming in who doesn't know the way of things and wants to complain lol.

That's also my first question/issue. THAT account has been deactivated by administration. I tried using the "Contact us" link twice in regards to that account to maybe try and get it reactivated (if that was possible). No luck. No response. Nothing. First time I tried using the contact us link at this point was... gotta be at least over a month ago at this point. I know things can take some time, but I would think that would be enough time to illicit a response.

Second question/issue is similar. I signed up for THIS account on June 22nd. It took until TONIGHT to get the activation link to send to my email address. I tried having it resent dozens of times with it never coming through until tonight, 17 days after I registered for the new account (and before anyone asks, yes, I checked my junk mail haha). After a day or so, I once again tried using the "contact us" link to request help in getting the activation email sent OR to deactivate this new account and reactivate my old account (whichever was easiest). I believe I tried at least twice. No luck. No response. So that makes at least four times I tried using "contact us", with a timeline of at least a month, with absolutely no response and no help offered. Kind of discouraging honestly. Is the contact us link working properly? Was there a reason I was never able to get a response? (I'm not being a douche I promise, I'm just curious). And, maybe someone wants to look into why it took so many tries for the activation email to be sent? If there's an issue, maybe make a prominent note on the site somewhere that there is an issue? I mean, I even took to Twitter to try and get a response :lol: Didn't get one... lol (but I only posted that about 8 hours ago so I'm not worried).

(Continued to new post as different questions/issues now)

Merrik Redux
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:22 pm

Re: Few Questions/Issues (Registration, Character Images, Mod Actions)

Postby Merrik Redux » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:10 am

Lol, of course, after a month of trying to get back on the forums to ask these specific questions, the night I do, when I try to access my profile user page I can only get the following error message:

Query failed: SELECT * FROM User_Creator INNER JOIN Creator ON ucr_creatorID = creator_ID WHERE ucr_userID = 4230 ORDER BY creator_lastname, creator_firstname, creator_firstname, creator_nickname

which means I can't link to any of the character stuff I was going to :lol:

So will come back in a little bit and try again and post my questions/issues then.

Sorry!

Merrik Redux
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:22 pm

Re: Few Questions/Issues (Registration, Character Images, Mod Actions)

Postby Merrik Redux » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:26 pm

Site is back up and working across the board it looks like, so here was the other stuff I was going to ask about.

Like I said, I've been around the site for a long time now. I'm aware of the guidelines when submitting character images. Try not to have word balloons, try to find the best representation of a character, try to find one that shows just them so it's easy to distinguish who they are etc. etc. I've submitted a lot of images over the years. Some good. Some not so good and rightfully rejected.

THAT being said, I'd like to "appeal" the rejection of this particular character image

Dr. John Storm: http://www.comicbookdb.com/graphics/com ... 6_char.jpg

Rejected for the reason of writing needs to be removed.

Okay... so here's my thing. I don't know if anyone else feels the same way. Not EVERY character is Spider-Man. Not every character is even a Night Thrasher. We're not going to get 15,000 chances to find a really good representation of all of these characters, to find that ONE perfect shot. That unobstructed, perfect background, perfectly drawn, no thought balloon or word balloon, only character in view shot. Some of these characters make literally single appearances in issues and appear on only a few panels. And those panels contain recaps, and word balloons, and comic book noises (such as this one with the word "KRASH" in it). Sometimes, we have to do the best we can with what we have.

The character here, is now approximately 80 years old. The site has been around for over a decade. No one had submitted the character until I did so a couple of days ago. He appeared in exactly ONE issue eighty years ago before appearing a final time approximately thirty years ago in a flashback origin sequence. I can find ONE garbage picture for him online. The other pictures in the issue he appears in that I have access to are so small they're useless or one has body parts flying around his face. THIS picture IS the best representation of him, especially with the word "KRASH" (he was randomly attacked by a gorilla, his dog attacked the gorilla and transformed, saving his life, a guy crashed his car outside his cabin, showed up on his doorstep with amnesia, he turned him into the hero the Terror and was attacked and killed by gangsters... IN THE SAME NIGHT... "KRASH" is a perfect representation of him).

The fact that there's a blanket statement of "no words!" "no thought balloons" "no word bubbles" "writing NEEDS to be removed" is REALLY frustrating and really annoying if I'm being honest. I absolutely do my best (when this image was declined, about five or six other submissions were approved which removed word balloons and thought balloons from the existing pictures) but sometimes there isn't too much of a choice.

And I know someone is looking at the picture and going "Well, that's not hard to fix in photoshop..." Cool. For YOU maybe. Not for ME. I had another image rejected because there were two little white circles leading up to a thought balloon. They appeared on a brick wall by the character. It took me approximately 45 minutes to make it look like they weren't there. No one should have to spend that much time to submit an image for a user built database. (If someone wants to take a crack at this, please be my guest). There's no way **I** can remove that word crash without completely destroying the image of the character. As it is, I already removed a word box which in my opinion makes his lab coat look terrible and a word that appeared in front of his face. If I remove that, his hair will be massively destroyed, or if I crop it, it cuts him off at the ear and looks terrible.

One shouldn't have to be a pro with photoshop to be able to submit images to a site that asks for the input of it's users. For images of comic book characters, from comic books, that have utilized things like the word "boom!" in big bold letters for dozens of years and represents comics perfectly.

So, I'd like to appeal that photo being declined.

Thanks

***EDIT*** Have resubmitted the image in hopes that someone will see/acknowledge my posts and take it into consideration.
Last edited by Merrik Redux on Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Merrik Redux
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:22 pm

Re: Few Questions/Issues (Registration, Character Images, Mod Actions)

Postby Merrik Redux » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:32 pm

Next,

I was just wondering a timeline for the approval/rejection of character images.

If one takes a look at my profile page, they'll see I have about 7 images pending. (There's two for one character because I found another image later in the book that MIGHT be a better picture and thought I'd submit it as well and let the mods decide which one they preferred).

The following two character images were submitted probably about a month ago (or close to it) to improve upon existing images in the system already:

http://www.comicbookdb.com/graphics/com ... 7_char.jpg
http://www.comicbookdb.com/graphics/com ... 9_char.jpg

I've been waiting so long for these ones, I actually even resubmitted the images in case they were like, stuck or lost or something. The new submissions were declined and the original submissions still sit unapproved lol

The following a couple of weeks ago:

http://www.comicbookdb.com/graphics/com ... 6_char.jpg
http://www.comicbookdb.com/graphics/com ... 2_char.jpg (this is the ONLY shot of this character's face despite him appearing in the story for a couple of pages)

and then the following had numerous images approved after them

http://www.comicbookdb.com/graphics/com ... 5_char.jpg
http://www.comicbookdb.com/graphics/com ... 3_char.jpg

Just wondering what the usual timeline is? Is there a reason that a character image submission would take a month or more to approve?

Thanks

Merrik Redux
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:22 pm

Re: Few Questions/Issues (Registration, Character Images, Mod Actions)

Postby Merrik Redux » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:36 pm

Second to last!! :lol:

I was wondering what the guidelines were for creating characters that are never named. I know the automatic answer would be "they can't have an entry" because then like, anyone could submit like "background character on page 16, panel 6 of Amazing Spider-Man #232" or something.

I'm not talking about those characters.

For instance, She-Hulk was turned into She-Hulk because a mobster sent his "goons" after her and she was shot in the back. Because of her being shot, her cousin gave her a blood transfusion and she turned into She-Hulk. When the goons realized they hadn't completed the job, they went to the hospital to try again. She-Hulk appeared for the first time and had them arrested. They then appeared in the following couple of issues (killed in the next but flashbacked in the next) and then again maybe 6-7 times in the original She-Hulk story. And at least once later in the Sensational She-Hulk story. And if I'm not mistaken in flashbacks in a couple of other series as well when she's recounting her origin.

These three unnamed goons which were major players in the first few issues of the first She-Hulk series and appear numerous times over the next fourty years in flashbacks, were never named, and therefore aren't entered, despite the fact that She-Hulk technically wouldn't exist without them.

Is there anyway to enter them into the system?
Last edited by Merrik Redux on Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Merrik Redux
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:22 pm

Re: Few Questions/Issues (Registration, Character Images, Mod Actions)

Postby Merrik Redux » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:48 pm

LASTLY :shock:

I am NOT trying to call anyone out here, but the only way I feel I'll get an answer is to name the mod specifically.

I'm interested to know why the moderator Spid, has, on at least six separate occasions now in the last month, after approving or rejecting character images for new character profiles that I've just created, gone into those character profiles and deleted or removed important and correct info for those characters, or removed aspects of their name which were important for identifying them.

After this image was inexplicably rejected: http://www.comicbookdb.com/graphics/com ... 8_char.jpg
spid went into the character profile and for some reason, just completely deleted the original bio that I had typed in for the character: http://www.comicbookdb.com/character_hi ... p?ID=93945

As you can see, I've since re-entered it. Spruced it up a little. Thought maybe he didn't think the first one I put in was good enough (which still wouldn't justify the deletion really as isn't at least something that's okay better than nothing?)

But it's happened again now:

http://www.comicbookdb.com/character_hi ... p?ID=94165

No reason for the removal of this bio, just... went in and deleted the work I put into it for seemingly no reason

http://www.comicbookdb.com/character_hi ... p?ID=94162

This is the character that I "appealed" the rejected photo above. Spid in this one deleted the bio AND the notes on the character. So now there's a Dr. John Storm (a name VERY similar to a very big character in the Marvel Universe) with a profile that's just sitting there, almost completely blank, no photo, no bio, no notes to distinguish him from the other character with a very similar name. No reason.

http://www.comicbookdb.com/character_hi ... p?ID=94159

Again... just deleted the bio. No reasoning. Left the notes on this one though.



All of the info that was removed was correct. It was all original. I personally took the time to type it up, didn't copy it from online somewhere (although I believe in one I used ONE sentence from another site as a kick-off because I couldn't figure out the proper wording) and a mod can just go in right after and remove the work, for no reason? Leaving the database less complete than it was just a few minutes prior?

That's really... it's discouraging.

If the work wasn't still viewable by viewing the contribution history, it basically would be destroyed and long gone and have to be completed again from scratch (and I'd be wary of doing it because I wouldn't be sure if Spid would just pop in and delete it again). Not cool to wreck a user's correct work that they put a lot of time and effort in on, to help build the database and make it a better system for everyone.

I shouldn't have to check up on the profiles I create for characters a week after they're created to make sure a mod hasn't for reasons unknown deleted a perfectly valid bio.

So, before I re-enter the info... just wondering if someone (Spid?) can give me a hint as to why it was deleted in the first place. Did I do something incorrectly?

Thanks


**EDIT** Added the correct info back in, no point in waiting when I know it to be proper and correct.

spid
Posts: 564
Joined: Thu May 11, 2006 7:41 pm

Re: Few Questions/Issues (Registration, Character Images, Mod Actions)

Postby spid » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:52 am

I deleted the bio because it looked liked it was copied from somewhere else. If it is truly original then I am sorry, but the the fact that there were so many bios created in so short of time made me think they were being copied instead of original. Again if it is original then it can be added back in. And you don't have to retype it in. If you take a look at the contribution history the information is there and can be recopied into the bio.

I deleted Dr. John Storm because of the word balloon. I know the character is obscure, but it does not take that long to trim the image to remove it. I know because I do it a lot. I am not asking something I myself do not attempt to do. I have rejected my own image once I have taken a second look at, and resubmitted it. I sometimes take a long time make character image even if the character is obscure because this maybe the only image some one may see if this character.

This is the corrected image that I fixed for Dr. John Storm.

http://www.comicbookdb.com/graphics/com ... 9_char.jpg



And the ones pending to be honest I am on the fence about. Some do not look better than the original image, but they are borderline. I will leave it up to see what another mod thinks about it. Yeah so when I am on the fence about it I don't immediately approve it. If you send the same image that is pending then I will reject the duplicate.

The unknown goons would just be notes in the comic or the bio. If they go unnamed they don't go in as individual character entries.

Merrik Redux
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:22 pm

Re: Few Questions/Issues (Registration, Character Images, Mod Actions)

Postby Merrik Redux » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:22 am

The way I phrase things sometimes comes off as defensive or confrontational :shock: If any of the following comes across that way, please forgive me. I don't mean it that way. I simply either disagree or don't understand/want more clarification or feel like maybe my point hasn't been heard/taken into consideration.

spid wrote:I deleted the bio because it looked liked it was copied from somewhere else. If it is truly original then I am sorry, but the the fact that there were so many bios created in so short of time made me think they were being copied instead of original. Again if it is original then it can be added back in. And you don't have to retype it in. If you take a look at the contribution history the information is there and can be recopied into the bio.


All six bios were completely original. For two characters I used almost the exact same bio because they HAVE the exact same bio (they only ever appeared in two issues and were in every single panel together so their bios are indistinguishable, I just personalized them for the characters with name and gender and such). The fact that there were so many bios created in such a short period of time is because there are actually people out there that will do a full complete job of creating a character profile for the characters they're creating. I know you probably deal with a great number of issues that I don't see, I'm not trying to overly criticize you or any mod that does a good job around here, but the fact that you acted on a hunch to delete work that I put a lot of time and effort into... again, it's really discouraging.

I'm aware I can recopy the information. I've already done it. The matter is that if I wasn't actively checking, that work would be gone and there'd be basically blank profiles because you thought that it MAY be copied from somewhere else. A quick search on the minor obscure characters the bios were for probably would've revealed there's little to no information out there for them and the work wasn't copied? Of course I'd never ask anyone to do MORE work, that'd be rude. You guys do enough as it is! It might avoid making contributors feel discouraged or annoyed that their hard work just gets deleted though.

Anyway, I appreciate the apology. Thank you.

spid wrote:I deleted Dr. John Storm because of the word balloon. I know the character is obscure, but it does not take that long to trim the image to remove it. I know because I do it a lot. I am not asking something I myself do not attempt to do. I have rejected my own image once I have taken a second look at, and resubmitted it. I sometimes take a long time make character image even if the character is obscure because this maybe the only image some one may see if this character.


I'm aware that it doesn't take that long to trim an image, thank-you. I know because I do it a lot as well. In addition, on this particular character I had already spent enough time removing another word balloon and a dialogue box trying to get the best representation for the character (as I said, I'm happy to do the best I can to work within the guidelines when possible AND I'm terrible with photoshop so it takes me some time). To trim it would have been nothing. I didn't trim it on purpose. And that wasn't my point. My point was the image with the word balloon is a) a better image b) a more accurate representation of the character c) sometimes it may be the ONLY image of a character we can get.

If it's the only image we can get, and the thought balloon/word balloon/word can't be removed or one would need special photoshop skills to remove it, we... leave the character with no image? That's not the best option, surely? Again, not every character is Spider-Man. We're not going to get a thousand options. It may not be possible to trim the word from the picture. It may not be possible to remove the word balloon. These are the questions I'm asking. All I'm asking is that the blanket "NO WORD BALLOON!" hard stance that seems to have been taken, maybe be taken into reconsideration if the need arises for it.

spid wrote:This is the corrected image that I fixed for Dr. John Storm.

http://www.comicbookdb.com/graphics/com ... 9_char.jpg


And that image looks worse than the image with the word balloon, in my opinion of course, which is why I didn't submit it. And had I submitted THAT image, I wouldn't have taken the time to remove the dialogue box from the picture as well, which was just cut off by cropping the image that much. That image is no better than the image with the word "KRASH" on it, is all I'm saying. The one with the word "KRASH" actually is a better representation of the character (for all that he went through in his single appearance) and you see more of the character.

spid wrote:And the ones pending to be honest I am on the fence about. Some do not look better than the original image, but they are borderline.


Newly submitted image: http://www.comicbookdb.com/graphics/com ... 7_char.jpg
Current image: http://www.comicbookdb.com/character.php?ID=11640

Newly submitted image: http://www.comicbookdb.com/graphics/com ... 9_char.jpg
Current image: http://www.comicbookdb.com/character.php?ID=19311

Those are the only two images I have pending that are replacing an original image. I'd be interesting in hearing why you think the newly submitted images are not better than the original images? I know for the second character I've even removed a letter in the bottom left corner and the remains of a word box in the top right hand corner (something discussed at length already).

They are both approximately a month old now. I appreciate all the work you do, TRULY. A month is a long time to debate yourself and sit on the fence about something though. I don't think that's too much to say.

This character: http://www.comicbookdb.com/graphics/com ... 6_char.jpg
appears in exactly three panels. It's this photo or a photo that's smaller where the character is further away and without as much detail. It is straight on though. I can submit that if you would prefer.

This character: http://www.comicbookdb.com/graphics/com ... 2_char.jpg
this is his ONLY full appearance. It's this photo or photo of him from halfway through his glasses up to the top of his head (so he's missing everything from his eyes down, it was drawn in perspective as he was looking up at She-Hulk and she's so much taller than he is, to get her in the panel he had to be cut off, it was meant to be humorous).

This creator: http://www.comicbookdb.com/graphics/com ... 5_char.jpg
to my knowledge, this might be the only full appearance of her in comics.
And it's certainly no worse than say an image like this: http://www.comicbookdb.com/character.php?ID=21815


spid wrote:I will leave it up to see what another mod thinks about it. Yeah so when I am on the fence about it I don't immediately approve it. If you send the same image that is pending then I will reject the duplicate.


Fair enough about rejecting the duplicate. I would hope that that might make one decide if the original submission is good enough to approve rather than leave it sitting for another few weeks though? I would NEVER ask for someone to hop on things immediately. I figure a character image submission would take about a week or so to process? Maybe a bit shorter? Maybe a bit longer? Depending on who visits the site when? But when you're just sitting on an image, it's... again... discouraging is the word I'd use.

spid wrote:The unknown goons would just be notes in the comic or the bio. If they go unnamed they don't go in as individual character entries.


http://www.comicbookdb.com/character.php?ID=10511

Now, I'm not saying the unnamed thugs are as important to Marvel history as the guy who made Spider-Man realize that with great power comes great responsibility, but they did in effect create She-Hulk. The female character at Marvel with the most individual issues of her own series of all time (for the time being). There's gotta be a way to enter fairly important characters even if they didn't get a name? No?


Thank you for all your time and consideration :)

spid
Posts: 564
Joined: Thu May 11, 2006 7:41 pm

Re: Few Questions/Issues (Registration, Character Images, Mod Actions)

Postby spid » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:43 am

If the only way submit the image is with a word balloon then do not submit it. What I have found over the years that almost no one will replace a bad image once it in the system So it is better for the site a whole to be a little stricter before it is submitted. Also we do not want people to put more time in than they feel they have to. So we do not require people to add a cover image just to create a comic entry. Some people do not have the skills or the time to devote to it. We also do not require people to add characters, but that maybe more time then people want to devote. Some one will eventually have the time or skill to do it.

As for the pending images sometimes its just a matter of taste the two images do not seem any better than the originals put in. Some of the others just in my opinion don't look great, but they are not horrible so instead of a blanket rejecting I leave them up. There is no time table so some times they will sit for a bit.

The goons are important footnote, but I am not sure they rise above a footnote.

Merrik Redux
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:22 pm

Re: Few Questions/Issues (Registration, Character Images, Mod Actions)

Postby Merrik Redux » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:36 am

*Will split this up in two so it's not such a long single post

First I'd like to say spid, thank you for taking the time to address and discuss these topics with me! :) I know it may seem like I'm being confrontational or whatnot, I promise I'm not trying to be. And I know it may seem like I'm picking on you specifically, again, not my intent. You're just the one who seems to have done the work which I have questions/issues about, and I know from looking at the list of moderators that at this point only you and mikebo have even visited the site in the last month (even Chris hasn't been active since June). And some of the mods haven't even visited the site since 2014. So THANK YOU for doing all the work you do and putting up with what you put up with and for discussing this stuff with me. I truly appreciate it!


spid wrote:If the only way submit the image is with a word balloon then do not submit it.


I, absolutely, without question, 100%, will debate this until this site is no longer up and running or relevant, disagree. Completely and utterly.

This is "The Comic Book Database". This is not "The Comic Book Database but don't put stuff into the site, even though it's a user built database, that might not be completely and utterly perfect".

It's a comic book database. Word balloons. Thought balloons. Dialogue Boxes. Sound Effects. These are VITAL and INTEGRAL parts of COMIC BOOKS. If the ONLY photo, or the BEST photo we can get of a character is with the word "KRASH" in it (and in some cases actually adds value) it should absolutely be submitted and approved!

As YOU stated earlier, these images might be the only image that someone might ever see of the character. What's better? To have a pretty damn good image with the word "KRASH" in it, or to have no picture at all? Leaving the user that viewed the character still completely in the dark and having no idea? As it stands now, unlike the 40's-00's, not every character is introduced in books anymore. Sometimes you're just expected as a reader to know who that character is. You might think "OH!!! This is comic book database! Maybe it's THAT character" and go to their page to see if it's them, and there's nothing there... and you're left in the dark... all because you don't want a picture with the word KRASH on it. It's worse when you're trying to add characters to an issue and they're not all identified, and then you go to the character page thinking it MIGHT be them and there's no image. Like, what's the point of being a data base then? It's to collect the data. The images of a character are the data.

That's completely backward thinking on the subject. I don't mean any disrespect, I promise. But it is.

I'm also wondering spid, if this is YOUR personal opinion, or a hard and fast guideline/rule of the site? Because I searched, and I could NOT find this info anywhere on the site. So now you might have folks eager to contribute, and all their stuff gets declined, discouraging them from submitting (or even trying again and getting better) because it's not stated anywhere that that's the rule. If it is the rule, it should be put up somewhere on the site. Not left to the whim of whatever mod happens to be approving images that night. I'd argue that even a subpar photo with a word balloon is better than nothing, even if you disagree. This isn't spid's comic book database, it's "The Comic Book Database".

I'm not saying start letting in complete garbage! Absolutely not! You guys do AMAZING work keeping out crap! But for the odd character here and there, it's not asking the world for you not to decline a user's hard work if that the only image available. "No image" is NOT better than "excellent image but has a word balloon in it" for a database. A database is supposed to be the most complete it can be.

spid wrote:What I have found over the years that almost no one will replace a bad image once it in the system So it is better for the site a whole to be a little stricter before it is submitted.


Yeah, but, c'mon. There's a difference between being strict and accepting an obviously terrible image or a very good image that has a word in it for a completely obscure character that you might not be able to get a better picture of and having a straight up "no word balloons ever!" stance. That's not strict. That's limiting your options massively. You HAVE to be able to see that.

spid wrote:Also we do not want people to put more time in than they feel they have to. So we do not require people to add a cover image just to create a comic entry. Some people do not have the skills or the time to devote to it. We also do not require people to add characters, but that maybe more time then people want to devote. Some one will eventually have the time or skill to do it.


But when someone does have the time and devotes the effort to in (in some cases quite a bit of time and effort) you have a hard "no words" stance and just chuck the work into the garbage. Not on some crappy stuff, but taking the time to make the stuff they submit as good as possible. You say you don't want people to put more time than they feel they have to, but then you ask for it by asking people to alter and change images just so you'll accept them. Some are NOT a quick fix. And here you say someone will eventually have the time or skill to do it, and before you say that almost no one will replace a bad image.

Merrik Redux
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:22 pm

Re: Few Questions/Issues (Registration, Character Images, Mod Actions)

Postby Merrik Redux » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:38 am

spid wrote:As for the pending images sometimes its just a matter of taste the two images do not seem any better than the originals put in.


This is the only time I might take even a bit of offense lol. I put a lot of time and effort into finding specifically good pictures to replace the really terrible ones in the system. You just finished saying hardly anyone replaces a bad image. And I've done the work and taken the time to do just that, and then you say "meh... it's taste..." Like, c'mon spid. Give me some breathing room here lol. It's YOUR taste.

ImageImage
ImageImage

The first one is basically the same image (drawn by the same artist). The new submission is clearer, no static, larger, more detail, cleaner and he's the only thing in the picture besides the background.

The second one is larger, more detail, the white is actually white, his face is clearer, the letter is removed and here's the kicker... the yellow box in the top right corner of the current photo? That's a dialogue box. Which you literally in your last post have just said if something like that is in the photo, do not submit it! And I'm here trying to take a photo with leftover dialogue box in it, out of the system and now you're telling me it's not any better. I feel like you're kind of just making stuff up as you go along now...



spid wrote:Some of the others just in my opinion don't look great, but they are not horrible so instead of a blanket rejecting I leave them up.


I agree... but again... they are the ONLY photos available. For two of them, that's ACTUALLY the case. They're the ONLY picture available of the character/creator. And you can clearly see the face, there's no better picture in the profile right now that they're trying to replace, there's no words, no thought boxes, no word balloons... I'm failing to see the issue here.

spid wrote:There is no time table so some times they will sit for a bit.


A month? Then maybe a couple of more volunteers to help moderate are needed?

spid wrote:The goons are important footnote, but I am not sure they rise above a footnote.


Disagree. You have three characters that literally created She-Hulk. Without their exact actions, She-Hulk would not exist. The characters who created one of the 5-10 most popular female characters Marvel has ever had... are a footnote?

The burglar that killed Uncle Ben should be a... footnote?

Again, I'm not talking about "random person on page 3 panel 6 of ASM #357". I'm talking about actual characters, dialogue, multiple issues, interactions with big characters, very important actions in comic book history... they just for whatever reason weren't named at the time, but still play a big role for what they had.



Again... THANK YOU for taking the time.

I know I'm WORDY AS HELL!!!!! I know someone else would say all that I said in a single paragraph... so I thank you kindly for the time and consideration.

Merrik Redux
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:22 pm

Re: Few Questions/Issues (Registration, Character Images, Mod Actions)

Postby Merrik Redux » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:06 am

For the following character, Mr. East: http://www.comicbookdb.com/character.php?ID=94087

I've submitted a second image for consideration for the character image since it was discussed that the first image I submitted wasn't looked upon too favorably, so thought I'd give the option between two images.

Please take into consideration that these two images are the ONLY time the character's face ever appears so there's not much of an option to go on here.


Return to “Site Support”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests