What have you updated lately?

Moderators: DarthSkeptical, Fnord Serious, Chris, spid, Skyhawke, Darth Kramer, mikebo

User avatar
Chris
Cosmic Donor
Cosmic Donor
 
Posts: 1035
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2005 4:48 am
Location: Toronto

What have you updated lately?

Postby Chris » Thu May 22, 2008 1:33 pm

Everyone gets credit when they add new issues, titles, characters, creators and so on. But what people don't typically get recognized for is when they provide additional information to existing entries. So I thought it might be fun to see what people are adding to enhance what's already there. If you post on this thread, try keeping your changes to one post and just edit it with new updates :)

My latest additions:

Adding characters, groups and synopses to:

Lucifer (2000): 21, 22

Adding characters and groups to:

Lucifer (2000): 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28

spid
 
Posts: 515
Joined: Thu May 11, 2006 7:41 pm

Postby spid » Thu May 22, 2008 2:13 pm

I have four more plot synopis and three more issues to add characters to to wrap up the first Volume of Stormwatch an old favorite of mine.

User avatar
brennivin
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:11 pm
Location: Seattle

Postby brennivin » Thu May 22, 2008 8:19 pm

The Humanoids Press, Jodorowsky title Juan Solo was released stateside as Son of the Gun. I added the series and issues for that release:

http://www.comicbookdb.com/title.php?ID=18519

That said, let me know if I missed/messed anything!

User avatar
angeltread
 
Posts: 284
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:18 pm
Location: Peoria IL

Postby angeltread » Fri May 23, 2008 9:29 am

every wed when uthor and i get our comics we always do a a high quality scan of the covers and put in a 600px wide cover in the database... although half the time we just replace someones retarded 200px wide one that they put in there earlier in the day. i do it everytime on amazing spider-man. its usually after midnight wed when i put it in and there is always a dumbo 300 px cover or less in there.

in addition to that ive been replacing all kinds of random low quality low res covers with a nice 600px wide one with actual scans of the book i own.
Last edited by angeltread on Fri May 23, 2008 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Darth Kramer
 
Posts: 403
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2005 11:13 pm
Location: Grafton, WI

Postby Darth Kramer » Fri May 23, 2008 1:01 pm

I'm fleshing out the entries for Starman as I re-read the books.

User avatar
Skyhawke
 
Posts: 116
Joined: Mon May 22, 2006 11:30 pm

Postby Skyhawke » Fri May 23, 2008 3:22 pm

I am filling out PS238 and some other indy books like Abyss, Neozic, World of Warcraft, etc... as I try to reduce the amount of books sitting on my desk.

User avatar
Areala
Silver Donor
Silver Donor
 
Posts: 45
Joined: Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:16 pm
Location: Indiana

Postby Areala » Sat May 24, 2008 7:58 am

I want to give a HUGE shout-out to Spid for filling in so many characters in the Transformers (Marvel) series. He beat me to the punch because I got majorly busy with some personal life stuff the last part of 07, and he's done an awesome job tracking down appearances and the like. :)

So, thanks Spid! :)

User avatar
Fnord Serious
ComicBookDB.com Admin
 
Posts: 437
Joined: Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:51 am
Location: Seattle

Postby Fnord Serious » Sat May 24, 2008 8:43 am

angeltread wrote:every wed when uthor and i get our comics we always do a a high quality scan of the covers and put in a 600px wide cover in the database... although half the time we just replace someones retarded 200px wide one that they put in there earlier in the day. i do it everytime on amazing spider-man. its usually after midnight wed when i put it in and there is always a dumbo 300 px cover or less in there.

in addition to that ive been replacing all kinds of random low quality low res covers with a nice 600px wide one with actual scans of the book i own.


What do you use for compressing the files? I find that with Save for Web in Photoshop, using a cover image that is only 450 px wide I have to lower the quality to about 50% in order to get it under the 100kb limit. How do you get 600 px images saved at 100kb without them looking all low res?

User avatar
BatFan01
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:45 am
Location: Missouri, USA

Postby BatFan01 » Sat May 24, 2008 11:23 pm

Since I'm adding my Penthouse Comix issues to my database I've been filling in the individual stories' info as I go along. Painful, I know, taking time to skim through each issue with its drawings of females. Oh, the horror! Needless to say it's not going fast I'm even replacing some of the smaller covers.

I've added many of the characters for Scud Disposable Assasin and even some images and better covers.

Darth Kramer,
I added a lot of characters to Starman a while back (at least the ones I considered worth my time). The O'Dares were underrepresented and none of Shade's journal entries were present. Excellent series btw. It could always benefit from another once over of the entries. I never could find a last name of Charity the fortune teller. Also, I passed over the carnival characters.

Back to work

User avatar
Areala
Silver Donor
Silver Donor
 
Posts: 45
Joined: Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:16 pm
Location: Indiana

Postby Areala » Sun May 25, 2008 2:01 am

Fnord Serious wrote:What do you use for compressing the files? I find that with Save for Web in Photoshop, using a cover image that is only 450 px wide I have to lower the quality to about 50% in order to get it under the 100kb limit. How do you get 600 px images saved at 100kb without them looking all low res?

For my purposes, Photoshop's "Save For Web" feature does all the heavy lifting for me. The trick is to scan the image in at a decent resolution (I use 300 dpi when I do my covers) before you start editing them. A typical comic cover that I scan at 300 dpi gives me a pixel width generally greater than 1200 px, so my first job when I do a "Save To Web" is to drop that to 600 px width. That takes away an enormous amount of the file size right there. The higher the resolution the image was scanned at, though, the lower you can set Photoshop's image quality percentage without getting that "low res" look. So start with larger and better quality, and you can scale those images down a lot further than if you scan at the default screen resolution of 72 dpi and tend to scale down from there.

Hope that helps!

Edit: Also, I'm adding some reviews for "Transformers" issues. Slow going, but I managed to put in three last night. :)

*huggles*
Areala

User avatar
Fnord Serious
ComicBookDB.com Admin
 
Posts: 437
Joined: Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:51 am
Location: Seattle

Postby Fnord Serious » Sun May 25, 2008 2:09 am

Areala wrote:
Fnord Serious wrote:What do you use for compressing the files? I find that with Save for Web in Photoshop, using a cover image that is only 450 px wide I have to lower the quality to about 50% in order to get it under the 100kb limit. How do you get 600 px images saved at 100kb without them looking all low res?

For my purposes, Photoshop's "Save For Web" feature does all the heavy lifting for me. The trick is to scan the image in at a decent resolution (I use 300 dpi when I do my covers) before you start editing them. A typical comic cover that I scan at 300 dpi gives me a pixel width generally greater than 1200 px, so my first job when I do a "Save To Web" is to drop that to 600 px width. That takes away an enormous amount of the file size right there. The higher the resolution the image was scanned at, though, the lower you can set Photoshop's image quality percentage without getting that "low res" look. So start with larger and better quality, and you can scale those images down a lot further than if you scan at the default screen resolution of 72 dpi and tend to scale down from there.

Hope that helps!

Edit: Also, I'm adding some reviews for "Transformers" issues. Slow going, but I managed to put in three last night. :)

*huggles*
Areala


My usual method:
• Scan at 300 dpi
• Do any necessary touch-up and color adjustment
• Reduce image size to 72 dpi, resulting in a pixel width of about 450 px
• Save for Web, usually at 50% in order to hit the 100 kb limit

Maybe the difference is that I have the pixel size linked to dpi (Resample Image, IIRC), so when I drop the resolution it also drops the image size? I guess I'll try changing some of my settings in the Image Size dialog box.

User avatar
Fnord Serious
ComicBookDB.com Admin
 
Posts: 437
Joined: Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:51 am
Location: Seattle

Postby Fnord Serious » Sun May 25, 2008 4:41 am

Is this The GIMP to which you refer?
Looks like it is Windows only, so I'm out of luck there.

And I'm going to call it quits for the image compression talk here and resurrect an appropriate old thread for the purpose. I fear I have contributed to a bad case of thread drift :shock:

acomica
 
Posts: 149
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:18 pm

Postby acomica » Mon May 26, 2008 1:57 pm

Wizard Magazine issues...

I've been putting these in, along with whatever info I can put in regarding articles, who wrote them, etc, as well as the various covers (no scanner though, unfortunately). It's been slow going, but it'll get done eventually.

acomica
 
Posts: 149
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:18 pm

Postby acomica » Mon May 26, 2008 2:08 pm

Oh, I've also been putting in Comic Buyer's Guide Magazine issues as well, but I don't have nearly as many as I do Wizards... ;)

acomica
 
Posts: 149
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:18 pm

Postby acomica » Fri May 30, 2008 2:04 pm

1985

Millar's new miniseries that came out this week was entered with the wrong title. I've changed it to reflect the title inside. It's now 'Marvel 1985'.

Next

Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests