Uploading cover scans

For any questions/comments/suggestions regarding using and/or contributing to ComicBookDB.com

Moderators: DarthSkeptical, Fnord Serious, Chris, spid, Skyhawke, Darth Kramer, mikebo

nomad

Uploading cover scans

Postby nomad » Sun May 06, 2012 5:54 pm

Would someone please explain how to generate a 100 megapixel image? I'm using Photoshop. Better yet, would someone please explain how to prepare images for uploading.

Thanks

mikebo

Re: Uploading cover scans

Postby mikebo » Sun May 06, 2012 6:06 pm

In Photoshop, under the File menu, select "Save for Web". In the following Window, select the "Optimized" tab at the top left if it isn't already. There's a tab on the right for "Image Size", so click that as well if you wish to change the size of the image. Also, on the right there's a box for Quality. Increasing or decreasing that percentage will change the data size of the image which is displayed in the bottom left of the window. Once that number is below 100K, it's ready to be saved and can then be uploaded as the large cover image.

And for thumbnails, change the width of the image to 100 pixels, and adjust the quality of the image until its under 30K.

nomad

Postby nomad » Sun May 06, 2012 10:49 pm

Hey thanks! Now another question: how can I create multiple issues to a title?

mikebo

Postby mikebo » Sun May 06, 2012 11:54 pm

Could you be a bit more specific regarding the problem?

spid

Postby spid » Mon May 07, 2012 12:24 pm

There is no way to batch enter an issue to a title. You have to do them one at a time. You can copy the values of one issue to create a new one. If you are talking about adding a bunch of issues to your own collection then go to the title, and at the bottom of the page you should see an option to batch add issues to your collection.

nomad

Postby nomad » Mon May 07, 2012 10:44 pm

Man that's a lot of work if you have to index a series of 300 issues. I have information on several foreign publishers and wanted to create a framework before adding covers and other information. Adding an issue one at a time is tedious. Is there no other way? Have you ever encountered this dilemma?

nomad

Postby nomad » Mon May 07, 2012 10:46 pm

mikebo wrote:Could you be a bit more specific regarding the problem?

I'd like to create a series for a foreign publisher. This series contains 300 issues. Is there a way to initially create the new index and "add" 300 issues?

nomad

Postby nomad » Mon May 07, 2012 11:04 pm

[quote="mikebo"]In Photoshop, under the File menu, select "Save for Web". In the following Window, select the "Optimized" tab at the top left if it isn't already. There's a tab on the right for "Image Size", so click that as well if you wish to change the size of the image. Also, on the right there's a box for Quality. Increasing or decreasing that percentage will change the data size of the image which is displayed in the bottom left of the window. Once that number is below 100K, it's ready to be saved and can then be uploaded as the large cover image.

This is what I'm working with:

Uthor

Postby Uthor » Tue May 08, 2012 1:38 am

-First, change the width, W: under image size (#1).

-Second, raise or lower the quality as needed (#2).

-Third, make sure your file size (#3) is under the limit.

There is no width limit for the big covers. The file size limit is 100K.

Thumbnails need to be exactly 100 pixels wide and have a file size under 30K.

I don't use Photoshop, but I bet for thumbnails you can leave the quality up around 95%. For the big covers, I try to go around 600 pixels wide and the quality at around (guessing here) 40%*. Whatever is a good mix of large size and decent quality. Covers with less or more detail can be larger or smaller as needed.

*I use Paint.net and think the quality is good at 65% and above. My friend says you can set the Photoshop quality much lower for the same results.
Last edited by Uthor on Wed May 09, 2012 2:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

nomad

Postby nomad » Wed May 09, 2012 12:24 am

Good conversation but I'm still not quite sure what is kosher. You saying that the width of the image should be 100 yet you're saying you go around 600 pixels in width. Hunh?

Uthor

Postby Uthor » Wed May 09, 2012 2:03 am

mikebo wrote:Thanks for that, Uthor. One correction though, it's a 30K limit for thumbnails.

nomad wrote:Good conversation but I'm still not quite sure what is kosher. You saying that the width of the image should be 100 yet you're saying you go around 600 pixels in width. Hunh?

Sorry for that. I updated my post to be a little bit clearer. I started making it about thumbnails specifically, then threw in the info about the big covers. I made it more generic with the limits for both listed afterwards.

Return to Site Support