A People's History of American Empire (2008) - HC
"A People's History of American Empire"
Metropolitan Books (Henry Holt and Company)
Change this cover
or add a variant
(Story is monochromatic)
Search for 'A People's History of American Empire' on Amazon
Cover Date: 2008
Cover Price: US $30.00
Issue Tagline: None.
Format: Black & White; Hardcover; 292 pages
Story Arc(s): Add/remove story arcs to this issue
Foreword by Paul Buhle
1: THE INTERNAL EMPIRE: * The Massacre at Wounded Knee * Certain White Men * The Pullman Strike * The Open Door Policy
II: THE SPANISH-AMERICAN WAR: * Antonio Maceo and the Cuban Revolution * The Drumbeat for War * Smoked Yankees: the Black 25th Infantry * Spoils of War
III The INVASION OF THE PHILIPPINES : * Benevolent Assimilation * Republic or Empire? * The Battle of Bud Dajo
IV: WAR IS THE HEALTH OF THE STATE : * Righteous Conquest * The Ludlow Massacre * World War I * Resistance to War
V: GROWING UP CLASS CONSCIOUS : * Poor But Never Hungry * Sacco and Vanzetti * Street Smarts
VI: WORLD WAR II: A PEOPLE'S WAR? : Questioning War * Just Following Orders * The Atomic Age
VII: THE COOL WAR : The Jitterbug Riot * The Cradle of R&B Fandom
VIII: CHILDREN OF THE EMPIRE : * The Quiet War * Civil Rights: Shaken to the Bone * The Bombs in Vietnam Explode at Home * Vietnam: The Domino Theory * From Resistance to Revolt * The My Lai Massacre * A Peace Mission
IX: LAND OF BURNING CHILDREN: * What Happens to a Dream Deferred? * War Resistance at Home * The Second Battle of Wounded Knee
X: THE SAME ROTTING BARREL: * Daniel Ellsberg and the Pentagon Papers * Hostage to Imperialism
XI: RESURGENCE OF EMPIRE : The Sandinista Revolution * Augusto Sandino * The Covert War in Central America * Massacre at El Mozote (The Thistle) * The Contra War * The Iran-Contra Scandal
XII: COVERT ACTION AND REACTION: * Iran: Overthrowing Democracy * Operation Ajax * Rule and Ruin of the Shah * Permanent War: The Bipartisan Consensus
EPILOGUE: The Possibility of Hope
Bibliography, Credits, Acknowledgements and Index.
Lettering presumably done on computer.
Page 274 is "The People Behind A People's History of American Empire"
* "Howard Zinn is the author of the classic A People's History of the United States ..."
* "Mike Konopacki, a cartoonist ... created the pages and art in this volume and contributed to the script."
* "Paul Buhle ... is the editor of this volume."
* Dave Wagner paragraph doesn't say explicitly say what he did for the book. "Dave Wagner, principal researcher and scriptwriter .... He has coauthored a number of books with Paul Buhle, including Radical Hollywood and Hide in Plain Sight.")
* Kathy Wilkes paragraph doesn't say explicitly say what she did for the book (script doctor and editor?) "Kathy Wilkes, script doctor and editor, has also contributed her expertise on design, research, and content development. Wilkes, a longtime labor activist ..."
Characters: Add/remove characters to this issue
Groups: Add/remove groups to this issue
Reviews: There are no reviews for this issue. - Add your review